Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Oil Catch Can Installed

63K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  Manny_NotTheStig 
#1 ·
Just bought a cheap ebay catch can but i worked fine for me!
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Vehicle Tire Brake Car
Fuel line Auto part Engine Hose Vehicle
Vehicle Fuel line Auto part Car Engine
Fuel line Engine Auto part Vehicle Car

See less See more
#2 ·
thank you so much smorey78. I've been looking for someone who has done this. looks great :)

#3 ·
Nice setup smorey78! What kind of connector adaptors did you splice into the original hose? Where can you get those?

#4 ·
ru5ty....thanks...i did it ...was shaking a lil when i cut the pcv line hahaha but it all worked out!
blk88verde... i had to use step down connectors and i think i used 5/8 to 3/8. i will check and make sure. the cruze pcv line is big and once i got the right size they fit tight. drove the car for about 45 miles and its all working good so far

#6 ·
Always a good mod for turbo engines.. nice job smorey.

#7 · (Edited)
there are gases that come out of the valve cover and are sent into the engine intake to be bruned by the engine, but at the same time oil is able to travel through this same tube and also make its way into the engine reduceing engine life by gumming up the air intake manifold and forming a sludge that could be ingested by the engine . the oil catch can allows the oil to be separated from the air while keeping the flow of air fluid. its a fluid air separator. they need to be checked often and emptied on a regular basis, thats why i think automotive manufactures do not install these .

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks smorey78! Are these adaptors available at auto zone/ advanced auto? Where did you get your adaptors? My catch can should arrive in a few days. I got a black one.

#10 ·
yes any auto parts store will have them. i had them in a kit at the shop

#11 ·
#12 ·
the reducers i used were 5/8 to 3/8. 5/8 for the pcv pipe and 3/8 for the lines that go to the catch can

#15 ·
oil drains thru lil thumb screw at bottom of can.
will test the hose with a vacuum pump today and see how much it can take!

#16 ·
dont worry about the hose. it should be thick walled yes? its suction hose you can tell be the lack of nylon braids and the fact that its silicone it wont corrode. being clear however, make sure it doesnt get hot, it will fade quick. thats just looks tho. its bigger that the factory hose anyway. if one is gonna collapse it will be the smaller one due to vacuum spikes due to bottle neck.nice set up.

i do agree its good on turbo motors. however, where that line leaves the engine.. the pcv line has a can just like that cast into the valve cover. please keep me posted, but i doubt you will recover any oil in that can. if you do then we all need one. so good voyage my friend!

precaution, make sure those line do not disconnect. even for a second during driving. that makes check engine light. and let us know about mpg change. it shouldnt go up or down but im curious.

and^ no it does not have any mesh. it used venturi effect to draw solids upheld by the fluid moving gasses to rout to a container that will have lowside pressure in the residence of the can allowing the solids to free fall being heavier than gas by means of gravity making allowance of suction having no retort.
then you just drain it later.

#18 ·
i do agree its good on turbo motors. however, where that line leaves the engine.. the pcv line has a can just like that cast into the valve cover. please keep me posted, but i doubt you will recover any oil in that can. if you do then we all need one. so good voyage my friend!

precaution, make sure those line do not disconnect. even for a second during driving. that makes check engine light. and let us know about mpg change. it shouldnt go up or down but im curious.
wait u said there is a can built in to the system...want to know more please explain

#17 ·
on lunch i did check everything out (175 miles so far) with a vacuum pump was only able to get 16" out of my lil system. so i might have a leak some where need to check that out! the hose was fine..did not suck together. and yes when it gets hot it will fade. might change up the hoses. looks like for vacuum my leak is at maybe where the reducers go into the stock pcv hose. it fits tight but was hard to pull the clamps tight because of the type of hose they used! also noticed that there was oil in the pipe going to the turbo. just a very small amount. not sure why there would be any on that side of the can. i still dont 100% understand how the pcv system works on this engine. i have vacuum on the intake side when car is at idle witch was funny to me cause why would i be sucking a vacuum from the top of the turbo to the intake but it looks like there is a valve under the pcv pipe that connects to the center of the intake. so maybe under boost the valve closes and than gases are sucked out due to the turbo boosting up. just not sure how the intake is set up for the pcv system. in most cases u would see a line going from the valve cover to the intake on the low side so it would suck gases out of the vale cover into the turbo and than thru the rest of the system.

#20 ·
Sigh... nevermind. I see that your tapping into the wrong spot... wow, a cruze came in for a recall today, I looked after reading this thismorning Annd wow.
You sir have successfully tapped into the "not pcv" hose. That hose goes from the turbo inlet to the intake manifold.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#21 ·
So what happens now? Rejoin that hose and relocate?

Sent from my DROID3

#22 ·
well, nothing... lets face it, the only reason you want one of these jdm looking things is because you think it looks cool right? you wanna fill space in that empty engine bay?
because on the inside of the valve cover, there is a series of baffles.
then a small box, thats your oil separator..
inside of the hose there is a check valve that only goes one way.
its fool proof. i have been taking my intake on and off (see the intake posts im in) testing different intakes with available resources and i am at 12k miles and STTTILLLLL not a drop of oil in the turbo inlet. "where the oil clogs stuff up" i just checked my throttle body as well... guess what. NOTHING.
general motors knows something about this oil catch stuff that you may, or may not know. and that is this-
#1) they really want to harness the fumes coming out of pcv that are or else wasted, for improved mpg on low power demand.
#2) they understand that while under "boost, power whatever" that little want for "high octane" comes to play.

those fumes drop up to 10 counts of octane count away from currently burning fuel. "run premium only" our cruzes dont care. they do not use pcv or egr during high power demands. just leave it alone.
intake, cool. it can make cool sounds.
exhaust, does nothing UNLESS removing cats. thats great on spool up and backpressure
methanol, AWESOME. keeps stuff clean, octane boost, safe stuff.
tune, great all around.
cams, maybe, its a 1.4 not a race car.
there is a few things that can be done...
but guys, really.... dont mess with a beatiful brand new care when that area you may not have all the details.
i just... i care about my chevys, and this one is brand new. dont honda it up like ricers. we are better than that.

#25 ·
He is tapped into the correct hose.

Also, this is a needed mod on the 1.4T. My throttle body never had any oil in it but my charge pipes and intercooler sure did. A catch can installed like the one in this thread will stop the majority of oil from going into your charge pipes and intercooler.

#23 ·
well first off i am not trying to make my car a honda. i would of bought one if that is what i was trying to do. for 70 years people have been make there car...(what ever it was) go faster. its what we do!
any of us trying a catch can were doing so because of what we read like #5 of this http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1...cta-performance-insane-speed-motorsports.html
not because it looks cool!
and if you dropped 10 points in octane your car would not run. i dont know of any cars that can run on 77 octane.
and if i cut the wrong hose why does GM call it a PCV HOSE/PIPE and sell it for $47...gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog
and why is there oil inside the hose and why did my GOOD LOOKING HONDA catch can catch a lil over an ounce of oil after 350 miles of driving.

#30 ·
So what im posting is, after further investigation we found that the pcv in internally vented from cylinder heat directly to intake manifold. There is an orange poppet check valve inside the manifold. Its purpose- under cruising, engine vacuum, its open and vents to manifold. (Oil catch can does nothing at that point.) Under turbo inlet vacuum poppet valve starts to close and turbo sucks pcv. Boost in manifold makes a tight seal. And allows pcv to vent

#33 ·
So what im posting is, after further investigation we found that the pcv in internally vented from cylinder heat directly to intake manifold. There is an orange poppet check valve inside the manifold. Its purpose- under cruising, engine vacuum, its open and vents to manifold. (Oil catch can does nothing at that point.) Under turbo inlet vacuum poppet valve starts to close and turbo sucks pcv. Boost in manifold makes a tight seal. And allows pcv to vent
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App[/QUOTE

GOOD JOB you figured it out. there is always a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. i found this out on Monday when i noticed that the hoses on the catch can wanted to blow off under boost and needed to put hose clamps on all the hoses. so than i started to question what was happening. thats when i pulled the pcv pipe off and looked inside the connector and found the valve built into the intake. simply starting the car at idle with my finger in the pcv hole there was vaccum and when my co-worker hit the gas till there was boost my finger blew out haha. i kinda figured right there that the catch can would only work when not in boost! you can also get a clue that this would happen just by pulling the dip stick out while the car is running. it will all but stall cause you just cause a vaccum leak by removing the dip stick!

Reactions: Silvercruze415
#31 ·
Not sure who you are saying is wrong.... The hose he tapped into for the catch can is for positive crankcase ventilation, you were the only one saying it was the wrong hose. Putting a catch can on that hose will collect most of the oil vapors and prevent them from going into the intercooler and intake track.

#34 ·
so smorey78 can you give me a little update on your installation? i just order my catch can and i want to be sure i install it a the good place and plug it in the right hose. can i use your installAtion like a exemple? thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.