Car Died in the Middle of Trifecta Install - Page 6
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Car Died in the Middle of Trifecta Install

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by oMAHONEYo View Post
    That's my impression. They don't really know how it happened, but it sounds like it got overloaded
    Did you tell them what you were doing?

I have an interesting thought though. Anyone try this with a SSD/usb 3.0 laptop?
    Flash speed will be exactly the same. Even still, USB 3 will down clock to USB 2.
    No more Cruze Now driving a 2014 Genesis Coup 3.8 R-Spec.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by titan2782 View Post
    Did you tell them what you were doing?
    Not exactly. Thy know that I use that

Flash speed will be exactly the same. Even still, USB 3 will down clock to USB 2.
    I'm not talking about flash speed though. I'm talking about how fast EZFlash is processing. Think about a java program, where you have a equation with a huge variable so that there is a bit of a pause. On a computer from 5 years ago, it may have been a 5 second pause, but with computers now, there would be almost no pause as the computer is processing it faster (I guess this would be more a processing question, although any communication bus speed/read/read speed will have some sort of play). I've also noted that although my 3 year old USB drive is for usb 2.0, it does work a little faster on usb 3.0. Bottlenecks somewhere.

My thoughts are that since netbooks aren't powerhouses, the program runs quite well on a netbook. When you get a computer that's meant to do a lot of processing (I use my mac to edit videos/high resolution photos for clients) then it can go faster.

I know it's not written in Java, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. I feel like the computer shouldn't have anything to do with it, but maybe?

The issue, as Jerry said, was that it tried to write before it was done erasing. Just a thought.
    Last edited by oMAHONEYo; 12-13-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    2013 Cruze 2LT w/ RS Package
    2012 Cruze LS (oCRUZEo) -
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Follow me on twitter! @iamjoshmahoney

Autocross Champion
    Having been through the code for ez flash, I can tell you it isn't processing anything. It's just communicating with the PCM. The cable communication is why it lags in additiona to their thread management techniques.

Disclaimer: I am only looking at a decompiled version which may not accurately represent the original code base, but a version in which the interpreter thinks is accurate based on the generated IL code.

it was either that, or wait 2 weeks till im home again.

I used a USB 3 and SSD laptop with no issues

Quote Originally Posted by oMAHONEYo View Post
    As much as I'd love to overnight it to vince (and I appreciate Jerry & Vince for trying to set that up for me), I just can't afford not to have the car that long. I suppose I should have thought of that right away, but I need to get to work the rest of the week/too close to Christmas to rent a car on my pay.

But as far as I can tell, the ECM is unreadable even, so we'll see when the technicians look at it.. they might not even be able to reflash it themselves. OnlyTaurus, have you ever come across a similar scenario?
    Sorry for the delayed response Mahoney.

No, I have not. But I'm one of the techs that are cool with mods(look at my sig ). I would've just thrown a new ECM in for you, sounds like it's completely dead. S**t happens..

Regardless, I'm glad your techs are doing the same for you. Just make sure your battery is fully charged next time you program it! lol.
    titan2782 and Sonic like this.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    it was either that, or wait 2 weeks till im home again.
    Well you had no choice then!

That's ok, I reflashed 10 minutes before I had to go somewhere important with my wife and the car died and took 45 minutes to get it back up. She was pissed. I recall her saying something like, "Next time you want to spend $400 to break you car, let me know and I'll do it for free".
    iKermit, rmass09, obermd and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTaurus View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response Mahoney.

No, I have not. But I'm one of the techs that are cool with mods(look at my sig ). I would've just thrown a new ECM in for you, sounds like it's completely dead. S**t happens..

Regardless, I'm glad your techs are doing the same for you. Just make sure your battery is fully charged next time you program it! lol.
    No worries man!

Haha, it was charged! Everything was running smoothly until the end, but I think I'm going to see if Vince can redo the tune to eliminate anything that might be wrong with it.

But yeah, they couldn't read the ECM, so they've got the new one on order! When I go in next To pick it up, I'm going to see their thoughts on performance mods (most of what I have is visual).

I'm just glad I can drive again.

On a side note, I see the techs come in sometimes to my work, so I might ask one of them

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    OnlyTaurus likes this.
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Administrator

That's ok, I reflashed 10 minutes before I had to go somewhere important with my wife and the car died and took 45 minutes to get it back up. She was pissed. I recall her saying something like, "Next time you want to spend $400 to break you car, let me know and I'll do it for free".
    My wife agrees.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Yeah, I got a bit of a lecture from my girl - I think it's because I then had to borrow her/her car haha.

Her dad asked what happened... that was fun. He's an OPP officer (similar to a state trooper, but less big green hat).. so he 'jokingly' grilled me about needing more power. I feel like there was probably an undertone of truth to what he was saying haha.
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Alright! So the Cruze is back and in working order. They replaced the ECM as they were 'unable to connect to it', whether that means it was bricked or shorted - it has since been replaced. The dealership also replaced the coolant hose, and did some more sealing and now my coolant smell has disappeared (hopefully when I get in the car tomorrow it stays the same - it's usually only noticeable when it sits in the garage overnight). I want to try giving the tune another go, but I'm concerned if it will kill my car again.

I can't really be without the car for a week again until at least after Christmas. Hmm.
    OnlyTaurus likes this.
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.