Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Car Died in the Middle of Trifecta Install

16K views 64 replies 14 participants last post by  oMAHONEYo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I've submitted a ticket but until I get a response I thought I'd ask around.

My car was 95% of the way through installing trifecta and all of a sudden it came up saying there was an error loading the flash and to try again in low speed mode. I have tried since then but no luck. My car will no longer start, and no matter what I have tried I keep getting a 'cannot connect to car' even though it is in fact in the on position.

So currently, I cannot connect to the car, in on it says to service traction control, and the starter won't well... Start.

Halp plz.

EDIT: I've included screenshots of the error message for reference. Text Font Screenshot Games Computer icon

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This is no problem. Here is what you do, reflash the stock tune. In the menu there is an option for low speed. Enable low speed then reflash stock tune. This will take about 20 minutes.

Make sure it all works and then try to flash the perf tune again.

Make sure you have the key turned only one click. If your gauges are turned on then you've turned it too far and will receive error messages on the DIC.

#6 ·
If the car "won't connect" then turn the car off. Unplug your cable from the laptop and close EZ Flash. Make sure you have latest version of EZ Flash. Connect the cable to the OBD2 port and then turn your ignotion key one click.

Reset your laptop. When windows comes back, insert the cable into a DIFFERENT usb port and wait for the sound to indicate it was connected. It may need to install drivers again so just give it a second. Then start EZFlash. Go into the menus and use the Code Scanner so check for codes. This is only to make sure you have a connection.

Once you do, follow my previous instructions on the flash.

Make sure you turn off A/C, Fans, Stero, etc in the car. Make sure doors are closed.
And if that doesn't work, do a force full flash on the stock tune and you should be ok. I only recommend you don't do this first because I have no done it and NO ONE has yet to tell me what it actually does. My concern is the flash count.

Just don't let the laptop go to sleep. Move the mouse every 1 minute or so. Make sure it's plugged in too. I let my laptop turn the screen off and it killed my car. So scary when it happens the first time!
:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Very well put Titan. Excellent advice.

#3 · (Edited)
If the car "won't connect" then turn the car off. Unplug your cable from the laptop and close EZ Flash. Make sure you have latest version of EZ Flash. Connect the cable to the OBD2 port and then turn your ignotion key one click.

Reset your laptop. When windows comes back, insert the cable into a DIFFERENT usb port and wait for the sound to indicate it was connected. It may need to install drivers again so just give it a second. Then start EZFlash. Go into the menus and use the Code Scanner so check for codes. This is only to make sure you have a connection.

Once you do, follow my previous instructions on the flash.

Make sure you turn off A/C, Fans, Stero, etc in the car. Make sure doors are closed.

#4 · (Edited)
And if that doesn't work, do a force full flash on the stock tune and you should be ok. I only recommend you don't do this first because I have no done it and NO ONE has yet to tell me what it actually does. My concern is the flash count.

Just don't let the laptop go to sleep. Move the mouse every 1 minute or so. Make sure it's plugged in too. I let my laptop turn the screen off and it killed my car. So scary when it happens the first time!

#5 ·
Thank you so much, Titan! Unfortunately I had to go in to work, and no one could cover (sucks being a supervisor sometime), but when I get home tonight I'm definitely going to start and give it a retry - and I'm hoping you nailed it on the head.

I really appreciate the quick response! A terrifying experience for sure.

Fingers are crossed.

#8 ·
I'm really glad I'm not the only person who this has happened too. Luckily I was able to get tomorrow evening off from work so now I can spend some time trying to get it straightened out! Again, thanks Titan, not only were you quick to respond, but it was quite a detailed response at that.

#12 ·
Pull the battery cables and power cycle the car. i.e. pull the positive cable, then try to start the car for 20 seconds. hook up the batt cable again and give it a whirl.

Try a different laptop. Try different USB ports. Try turning the car on (running) and then attempt a data log (I have to do it this way to get data logger to work). If that works, turn the car off using 1 single click and then try flashing again (stock).

What version of EZ Flash are you using and what year is your car? Do you have push start?

#13 ·
Left the battery unhooked for 2 hours, power cycle (assumed I did it correctly as my keys were stuck in the ignition) and put it back in, tried doing bootcamp instead of parallels.

Light on the trifecta cable is a yellowy greeny, so I know it's connecting fine on the computer end.

I just keep getting this 'can't connect to car' Error. No matter which position my key is in, or what order I plug the cable in vs when I plug the key in.

#16 ·
No, do not use Parallels! Parallels is still a VM. Just borrow someone's win7 laptop or drag your desktop out there. If that doesn't work then I suggest you have a bad cable. Ask them to send you another one immediately and then you'll return your broken one.

The cable light will be on because it has power from USB but it doesn't mean it's connected and correctly operating.

#18 ·
Well I've also used bootcamp so I do not believe it to be a VM issue. I've got a friend coming over with his laptop later so we can give that a shot. The only computers I own are macs sadly, last PC I bought was in 2005.. And I sold that a few years ago.

The cable is red when I first plug it in, yellow when I open trifecta, and green/yellow in the OBDII port, which I can imagine it means its working properly.

Additionally, did you let Windows install the drivers or did you download them yourself?
Downloaded and installed as per instructions but I bet it wouldn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall, but I can't tell which thing it is in the device manager

#24 ·
Thanks Titan. I'll give that one a try. I've tried my macbook in bootcamp, my friends Lenovo laptop running Windows 7, and that didn't work either.

Trifecta W38 Error

He had the same issue as well. His was the EZFlash, and the Sonic's ended up being the laptop... so we shall see.

#25 · (Edited)
Okay. Further update:

Cruzester tried to help me out but so far no luck, so he put me in touch with dsj on the phone about what we could try. He's the closest dealer to me - helps he has a cruze too!

Got a dell laptop to borrow. Freshly cleaned off, Windows 7 Professional etc.

Steps:

1) Downloaded Drivers, tune & EZFlash (Vince just update EZFlash to try and fix it but to no avail)
2) Installed Drivers as administrator
3) Opened EZFlash as administrator
4) Started to 'program' (by choosing the file)
5) Plugged in the USB and waited a few minutes after the 'ding' for the driver to install
6) Hit 'OK' after the driver was installed and the cable LED went from *RED* (While installing) to *GREEN* (After install)
7) Clicked 'Stock Engine Tune'
8) Was thoroughly denied by my car, creating a frustration and sadness that can only be described as separation anxiety.

I'm still receiving the 'not found' error. I'm going to try rebooting after I eat/try different usb ports/kick my car/etc etc.

#26 ·
This is a complete bummer Mahoney. I really hope you can get this figured out.

Have you tried disconnecting your battery for an hour? Not sure if it's been previous mentioned, but certainly worth a shot. Give the ECM a chance to reset itself.

#28 ·
Yeah, tried both. It just looks like this car is SOL. Vince looked at them and said its a total fluke and this has only happened once before, but never to a cruze. Basically it's either I overnight it to Vince to fix (too late today) or I head into the dealer tomorrow to at least have the car drive able again.

Thanks so much for all the help though. If it had of been any other car I'm sure it would have been nailed on the head.

This is a complete bummer Mahoney. I really hope you can get this figured out.

Have you tried disconnecting your battery for an hour? Not sure if it's been previous mentioned, but certainly worth a shot. Give the ECM a chance to reset itself.
Yeah, I left it from 8-10:30 this morning. Even powercycled it to try and force it to get going.

Basically what's happened is the ECM erased, and when trying to fill it back up, it just said 'no' and quit talking as Jerry put it.

An erased ECM is an unhappy ECM.

#30 ·
Hmm... I hope there's not some sort of 'lockout' in the ECM if failed alterations become 'detectable'...

Mahoney, is your dealer cool about modifications? If you think they'll be cool, maybe try explaining to them what happened and maybe they can just help you out with a new ECM.

#31 · (Edited)
Just take a big ass magnet to the ECM and then tow the car in. Just shrug and play dumb.

Actually I have no idea if that would work. I doubt it. I'm freaking shocked and bummed that your ECM died. Can Vince reflash it if you ship it to him? I wouldn't want to take it in until I know I've done everything. This might void the warranty.

#33 ·
Sorry to hear.... and to make it even more rare - your one of the few with the LS 1.8 tune.

I would overnight it to Vince before getting dealership involved.

#34 ·
As much as I'd love to overnight it to vince (and I appreciate Jerry & Vince for trying to set that up for me), I just can't afford not to have the car that long. I suppose I should have thought of that right away, but I need to get to work the rest of the week/too close to Christmas to rent a car on my pay.

But as far as I can tell, the ECM is unreadable even, so we'll see when the technicians look at it.. they might not even be able to reflash it themselves. OnlyTaurus, have you ever come across a similar scenario?

#55 ·
Sorry for the delayed response Mahoney.

No, I have not. But I'm one of the techs that are cool with mods(look at my sig :)). I would've just thrown a new ECM in for you, sounds like it's completely dead. S**t happens..

Regardless, I'm glad your techs are doing the same for you. Just make sure your battery is fully charged next time you program it! :eek:ccasion14: lol.

Reactions: Sonic and titan2782
#35 ·
So here's semi-related (paranoid) question, has anyone in Canada/Ontario successfully installed the tune on their Cruze? I ask because 1) I'm not sure if the Canadian Cruze is any different than the US & 2) I'm going to buy the tune in about a week and would like not to brick my ECM.

#36 ·
Great question. I was going to ask this myself, but last time I spoke to Vince about PCM's, I got a rude response saying they were all the same. I suspect they are different.

#38 ·
Here's the thing. I know a few people, but they all have the 1.4. If you search the 2012 vs the 2011 ECM, they're different prices (2011 being more expensive). I'm wondering if infact, it has to do with that. I know not many 1.8 guys have tried this, let alone AT. I know iKermit has, but I don't know anyone else with a 2012 1.8 AT.

It may be something to do with us Canadians, as our models are slightly different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.