Question for eco owners?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Thread: Question for eco owners?

Driver's Ed

Question for eco owners?

OK, I need to know if the front facia shutters are closed when your car is parked.

Reason is... I RAN OVER A DEER. And now i have a CEL illuminated from what I think are broken shutters in the front of the car. I'm not even sure if a CEL would illuminate from a damaged cooling system or not.???

The car has very little noticable damage, didn't even rip the front air dam from under the car. I did notice however that the Air Conditioning has the funny "Im not getting any air through the condenser smell" same with the defroster. From what I remember hearing, the shutters close at 35mph and never close when the AC compressor is running, ie. AC or defog.

Before I take this thing apart to fix the damage I just wanted to know where the shutters should be while parked.

BTW, I just rolled 50k miles too. Maybe there is a 50k mile service that needs to be done and the deer has nothing to do with the CEL.?
    2012 Cruze Eco, Black, 6 speed w/3 pedals 80,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Touring Champion
    I remember reading on here previously that one eco owner had a stick or tumble weed get caught in the shutter system & it set off the CEL until they cleared the debris.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Administrator

The front shutters may be open or closed when you park. In the cold my shutters are closed most of the time, even parked. In the summer they are open except on the highway. If something is blocking the shutter motion a CEL will be thrown. I'd recommend putting your car on a lift and checking the shutter mechanism to make sure it's not damaged or blocked.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed
    Oh I'm sure the shutters are damaged, one of them is sitting on the passenger side floor staring at me everytime I get in. It was found it in the road after my little "incident".

I need to take the front facia off the car to get a replacement parts list to order. I'm just curious if the shutter system has an at rest position. I know I can trick the car into thinking all is well while I wait for the parts to arrive.
    2012 Cruze Eco, Black, 6 speed w/3 pedals 80,000 miles

Administrator

Take a look at the thread Slowly turning my LTZ into an Eco. There are part numbers in there - I don't know if one of them is for our shutter box.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements