GM Official dexos1 oil list as of 2/10/13
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: GM Official dexos1 oil list as of 2/10/13

Retired Moderator

GM Official dexos1 oil list as of 2/10/13

Here is a link to the latest GM dexos oil lists. The last update was done as of 2/10/13.

Link: GM dexos information center

What I find interesting is the inclusion of Castrol products, and of 5w-20. Still no Valvoline/Ashland products.

My recommendation is to stick with a 5w-30 dexos1 oil, especially if your Cruze is a LT/Eco/LTZ with the 1.4T.
    Last edited by sciphi; 02-18-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Stickied. The link you gave is maintained and updated by GM so it should always be accurate. This is a good reference for the DIYers who want to ensure they use Dexos 1 certified oil.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

4th Gear
    I've been using the Quaker State Ultimate Durability. It has the dexos symbol on the bottle and seems to be a little less expensive than other brands. I can get it at Walmart for less than $21 for a 5 qt jug. I see it is on the GM list from the link above.

Interesting that Pennzoil Ultra isn't on the approved list.

According to Valvoline their synpower oil is dexos approved Valvoline and the GM dexos Specification

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    According to Valvoline their synpower oil is dexos approved Valvoline and the GM dexos Specification
    Not quite. Valvoline is saying certain of their oils meet the specification. They explicitly say that their products that "meet specification" are not licensed. They likely do meet dexos1, but Valvoline does not support paying to have them licensed. So they are not "approved", ie, not licensed dexos1 oils.

Valvoline makes some great products. It's up to you if you want to run Valvoline in your car.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

BOOOOST!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
    I've been using the Quaker State Ultimate Durability. It has the dexos symbol on the bottle and seems to be a little less expensive than other brands. I can get it at Walmart for less than $21 for a 5 qt jug. I see it is on the GM list from the link above.
    +1 - I've done 5 oil changes so far and that is the only oil I have used. FWIW, Menards has a sale going on this week for QS Ultimate for $4.99 a qt with a $2/qt rebate. Needless to say, I picked up another 10 qts.

Handbrake Released
    Sometimes it seems like we get more information than we need. Just look for any one of the three logos on the front of the bottle. That long list sort of becomes unnecessary.

So would a cruze owner get into trouble for using a oil such as Amsoil or RP? Since they are not on the list, would a dealership even be willing to put those two oils or other unlisted oils in the cruze or would they decline due to not wanting to be responsible for voiding the warranty?

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Starks8 View Post
    So would a cruze owner get into trouble for using a oil such as Amsoil or RP? Since they are not on the list, would a dealership even be willing to put those two oils or other unlisted oils in the cruze or would they decline due to not wanting to be responsible for voiding the warranty?
    They'd likely put down "owner-supplied oil" and leave it to you to prove/disprove the oil was correct. If you supplied the oil for them to install, you chose to use that oil. All they're doing is installing it for you. So it's no skin off their back to install Amsoil or RP.

The likelihood of a oil-related failure, as long as a full synthetic API SN or better 5w-30 is used and changed regularly as outlined other places on this board, is quite small. The oil makers know that, and GM knows that. The lubrication failures that result are usually from running the oil too long, or running the wrong oil for the application. Seeing how the Cruze uses readily-available oil, finding suitable oil to change with should be a non-issue.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast