2011 Chevy Cruze traction control button functions
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chevy Cruze traction control button functions

1st Gear

2011 Chevy Cruze traction control button functions

FYI/ When you push the button on the shifter console it shuts off the traction control and you ll see the light on in the dash. When you again push and hold that button down for a few seconds it shuts off the stability control also and a seperate light will come on in the dash. I was playing around in the snow when I came across these funtions and didn t know if you all were aware.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Interesting, I didn’t know that! Could you shut off just the stability control?

World Rally Champion
    ...in the Owners Manual, see pages:

5-18 = Traction OFF light
    5-19 = Traction Control System (TCS)/StabilTrak Light (STL)
    9-32 = Traction Control System.
    • 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    • 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    • 2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

• 1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    • 1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    • 1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    • 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    • 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUISE-CRUZE View Post
    Interesting, I didn’t know that! Could you shut off just the stability control?
    try it and you ll see the lights..

Driver's Ed
    Hi, newbie here. I'd like to know what "stability control" and "traction control" mean in terms of the mechanical operation of the vehicle. Edit- sorry, should have done my googling first:
    Traction Control
    Stability Control

But are there any situations where you could benefit by turning one or both of those features off?

Thanks
    Last edited by Paul7893; 01-15-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul7893 View Post
    Hi, newbie here. I'd like to know what "stability control" and "traction control" mean in terms of the mechanical operation of the vehicle.

Also, are there any situations where you could benefit by turning one or both of those features off?

Thanks

Traction control is a system that allows a vehicle to send power away from wheels that are slipping. It is useful to get a little more grip in slippery conditions, but most systems are limited to lower speeds.

Stability control is a system that detects the movement and speed of the vehicle. If it senses the car begin to swerve or spin, it helps to compensate to allow the driver to keep control of the vehicle.

Most stability control systems will include traction control, since the hardware is essentially the same. On the other hand, many vehicles have traction control but not stability control, which is more expensive to add.
    Traction control vs. Stability control - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Forums

The only time you'd really want to disable it is at the Track or if you're feeling frisky and need to do some kind of maneuver on the road - most people wont touch the button their whole life

Handbrake Released Knightslugger's Avatar
    or if you need the tires to spin... like snow.
    2004 Trailblazer LS 4.2L 4WD
    2006 Honda CBR600RR (CCS #907 MW Race bike)

Handbrake Released
    RTFM.

In the manual it states that if you get stuck in the snow, and need to rock the car back and forth by going into drive and reverse back and forth until you are unstuck, you should turn off traction control first.

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn672 View Post
    most people wont touch the button their whole life
    That may be true about most people, but every car I have had with TC I find that trying to get up my really steep & long snowy driveway I need to disable traction control or I will end up backing all the way down(driveway is about 150ft long & 50ft elevation change).

With traction control on you'll be making it up the driveway really well then all of a sudden the TC comes on & you loose half your momentum. once this happens the TC comes on again you pretty much loose all your momentum & are just sitting there spinning/sliding back down.
    I also don't like it in city driving(though not as bad as above example), taking off across an intersection & the TC comes on half way across, again loosing half your momentum almost making you almost come to a stop dangerously in the intersection. I can do much better with my own foot.

The only time I like TC is at hwy speeds & you hit some deep snow/water, the car cuts power & keeps you going very well on your desired path.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedout View Post
    That may be true about most people, but every car I have had with TC I find that trying to get up my really steep & long snowy driveway I need to disable traction control or I will end up backing all the way down(driveway is about 150ft long & 50ft elevation change).

With traction control on you'll be making it up the driveway really well then all of a sudden the TC comes on & you loose half your momentum. once this happens the TC comes on again you pretty much loose all your momentum & are just sitting there spinning/sliding back down.
    I also don't like it in city driving(though not as bad as above example), taking off across an intersection & the TC comes on half way across, again loosing half your momentum almost making you almost come to a stop dangerously in the intersection. I can do much better with my own foot.

The only time I like TC is at hwy speeds & you hit some deep snow/water, the car cuts power & keeps you going very well on your desired path.
    Totally agreed. When I said "most people" I meant the typical consumer and the "newbie" asking what TC was. I disable it from time to time usually at stopped snowy/slushy intersections

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast