Do it yourself Auto trans fluid change possible?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By sciphi
  • 4 Post By XtremeRevolution
  • 1 Post By BlueTopaz

Thread: Do it yourself Auto trans fluid change possible?

Driver's Ed

to save $$$$ anybody did it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Yeah, it's possible. Have I done one on the Cruze? No, since mine's manual. Have I done ATF changes on other cars, including my former AT cars? Yes.

IIRC the Cruze does not have a dipstick. If it's similar to other GM cars without AT dipsticks, it'll take some detective work to locate the drain and fill ports. Measure what came out so the same amount can be put back in. Nothing fancy needed to measure, just a few old gallon milk jugs, well-rinsed of course.

Remember to use Dexron-VI ATF only. No Dex/Merc for this transmission!
    Starks8 and Stevencdn like this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

owners manual says to change it at 50,000 if you meet the driving in rough conditions which usually includes short trips and a lot of idling.
    otherwise change it at 100,000 miles.

so it is obviously some kind of synthetic fluid they are using. if you have 50000 miles on your cruze already you probably don't meet the driving in rough or harsh conditions.

So I would wait till 100,000 miles you will probably be there in a couple of years if you are already at 50,000 miles already.

Administrator
    There's a fluid level hole somewhere on the trans. I believe it is plugged up and you need to remove the plug or bolt.

Removing the drain plug will drain 5.8 quarts of the 8.5 quarts that the transmission holds.

The procedure is to drain the fluid, then start filling it back up until it starts to come out of the fluid level hole. I believe this procedure is identical to that of the fluid change for the manual transmission.

I would not wait 100k miles to have fluid changed. I would go no more than 60k miles based on personal experience. There is no harm in replacing the fluid more often than is necessary, but waiting too long is a recipe for disaster. Change your fluid before the problems start to appear, not after.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The ACDelco Dexron VI shipped with the Cruze is a synthetic blend. I think that will last for its intended service life unless the transmission is abused with extreme heat.

I had a 1980 Chevy van with a Turbo Hydramatic 350 transmission in it. The change interval for that was 100,000 miles, which was when I performed fluid changes twice while I owned it. Never gave me any trouble.
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

It looks like the AT drain plug is similar to what is on our GMC Acadia from what I can tell. The fill cap is on top of the transmission just below the battery.

spacedout likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements