2nd cruze, 2nd thermostat replaced

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2nd cruze, 2nd thermostat replaced

2nd cruze, 2nd thermostat replaced

somewhere between being very unlucky or every cruze thermostat not working properly, i had yet another thermostat replaced on a 2012 cruze 1.4. both cars had the same exact issue of not getting to op temp after 25 min of driving when temps outside were below 40 degrees. the thing that made me the most mad about this happening a 2nd time is that i told them back in may it was having this issue but they told me i had to wait for colder temps to prove it. so i wasted time on two different days to go back, drop the car off, and get a ride back to get it. best part was when they told me it was ready, and i sit in the drivers seat and i see that the check engine light is on ...really, they couldnt notice that. so i pulled right back in and after a 20 min wait i was told they forgot to plug in some wire to the thermostat. on a more positive note i was happy that they asked me if i wanted the recall done while it was there, which i said no, and they didnt just go ahead and do the recall hack job on their own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I hope it's fixed for good this time.

What's your usual drive, and where do you set the vent controls? The 1.4 is slow to heat up if the heat is turned on for the first 5 minutes of driving. In the winter, I suck it up and drive for the first 5 minutes, then turn the heat on when the engine is up over 100*F. Driving our Fit with its 1.5 liter engine and the same foible prepared me for this issue.

This is a little different than a Tahoe with a V8 that is using more fuel, and generating more heat.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubb11 View Post
    somewhere between being very unlucky or every cruze thermostat not working properly, i had yet another thermostat replaced on a 2012 cruze 1.4. both cars had the same exact issue of not getting to op temp after 25 min of driving when temps outside were below 40 degrees. the thing that made me the most mad about this happening a 2nd time is that i told them back in may it was having this issue but they told me i had to wait for colder temps to prove it. so i wasted time on two different days to go back, drop the car off, and get a ride back to get it. best part was when they told me it was ready, and i sit in the drivers seat and i see that the check engine light is on ...really, they couldnt notice that. so i pulled right back in and after a 20 min wait i was told they forgot to plug in some wire to the thermostat. on a more positive note i was happy that they asked me if i wanted the recall done while it was there, which i said no, and they didnt just go ahead and do the recall hack job on their own.

jdubb11,
    I would like to apologize for the issues that you have had with your Cruze. I am happy to hear that your dealer was able to get this issue resolved for you. Thank you for the feedback on this issue. If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I hope it's fixed for good this time.

What's your usual drive, and where do you set the vent controls? The 1.4 is slow to heat up if the heat is turned on for the first 5 minutes of driving. In the winter, I suck it up and drive for the first 5 minutes, then turn the heat on when the engine is up over 100*F. Driving our Fit with its 1.5 liter engine and the same foible prepared me for this issue.

This is a little different than a Tahoe with a V8 that is using more fuel, and generating more heat.
    it was a frosty 37 the other morning so i used the remote start and let it run for about 3-4 min just to give it a little time to start warming up. i have a 4 month old and dont want the car ice cold when bringing him to daycare now, and come winter. after the warm up time i drove 9 miles to work which takes about 20 min as its a mix of 50,45, and 40 mph speed limits and 18(yes 18 sigh lol) stop lights( probably only have to stop for about half of them on a givin day). anyways by the time i got to work the temp needle was about 2 needles width away from full op temp. the car blew warmish air after about 6 min of the car being on but it never did get that nice warm or hotish temp. if the car cant get warmed up at 37 whats it going to do durring a mn winter??? my son and i would be freezin or butts off. ive been having this same drive for 10 yrs and anyother car ive owned in that time, (01 blazer, 06 cobalt, 07 tahoe, 09 malibu {yes i stick it out with chevy}), have all warmed up fully and blew hot air after about 10 min or less depending on temp. like you said, hopfully this issue is fixed now. when they replaced the thermost on my 1st cruze the car was at full op temp in 10 min or so and blew hot air.

Retired Moderator

That was a problem. Even with a chiptune on my car that lowers the peak temperature by 20*F from 220*F to 200*F, my car still heats up quickly, and can make the interior uncomfortably warm when it's fully warmed up.

Although, the car sitting idling at a stoplight for 2 or 3 minutes will have it lose heat in the winter since it uses 0.15 to 0.2 gallons/hour of gas at a warm idle. It's not really enough to keep both the engine and heater core warm when using that little gas. I'd suggest a grille block of the lower grille to help it keep heat in a -20*F Minneapolis winter.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    That was a problem. Even with a chiptune on my car that lowers the peak temperature by 20*F from 220*F to 200*F, my car still heats up quickly, and can make the interior uncomfortably warm when it's fully warmed up.

Although, the car sitting idling at a stoplight for 2 or 3 minutes will have it lose heat in the winter since it uses 0.15 to 0.2 gallons/hour of gas at a warm idle. It's not really enough to keep both the engine and heater core warm when using that little gas. I'd suggest a grille block of the lower grille to help it keep heat in a -20*F Minneapolis winter.
    I wonder if the aero shutters on the ECO will close in those conditions simply to help warm up the engine.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

35 degrees this am. 5 min warm up, the ussual drive, car still cant get to op temp after 25 min of running. i give up!!!! must just be the nature of this car. i did have warmish heat but after 15-20 min (temp needle at 1/4) of it being on full heat and number 4 fan speed and still not very warm in my car i turned on the recirculate mode. i had HOT air in 15 seconds . ive never had to do this before to get nice warm/hot air from a car when its 35 out but whatever, thats what ill do. ill just prey for heat dec-feb when its cold as $@*! here.... on a side note, ive always heard you get better mpg when the car is fully warm so now i wonder what kind of mpgs ill get this winter. i know they go down for a number of reasons in the winter but maybe add another to the list.
    Starks8 likes this.

Having the hack job recall call done probably doesnt help in keeping engine warm either. Maybe there'll be a recall done to where you have a winter shield and a summer shield.
    jdubb11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCruzeRS View Post
    Having the hack job recall call done probably doesnt help in keeping engine warm either. Maybe there'll be a recall done to where you have a winter shield and a summer shield.
    funny you say that. this summer when it was hot as heck outside and my car was making that crazy buzzing sound for 5 min,(search buzzing if you havent seen the thread and vid) i thought that the shield was making it way too hot in the engine bay with no air flow. im not planning on having the recall done and it would be nice to have some of that heat now!! lol

hate to beat a dead horse but the cruze will be going back to the dealer on monday. same story, 10 degrees at 8am. car was remote started for 8 min, drivin in manual mode and not in 6th gear, and after 25 min the car was barely over 1/4 way on the temp gauge. blowing warmish air on recirculate and coolish air once i had to switch to outside air as the windows finally fogged up. hoping they can get this problem solved

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.