Check Engine Light when gas tank below 1/4 tank
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Check Engine Light when gas tank below 1/4 tank

Driver's Ed

Check Engine Light when gas tank below 1/4 tank

The check engine light on my 2012 Cruze has turned on four times now right before I need gas and has stayed on for about two days after I fill up. I only have 14,000 miles and have kept up with the maintenance. Nothing seems to affected and the car drives the same whether the light is on or off. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas what it might be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Could be a gas tank cap venting problem. Take it to the dealer, there will be an error code stored. (I'll wager the gas cap.)

BTW, if you have a car under warranty, and the check engine light comes on, what is the motivation for not getting it to a dealer quickly?

Driver's Ed
    It's a timing issue for me but I will find a way today. Thanks.

Depends on your dealership and the hours ya work.

I would never make it to the dealership through the week, and only have Saturday from 9am until Noon to ever make it there. Alot of people probably just wanna know also if it something that can wait until the next service visit, which is also when i usually get any warranty work done.
    2000 S10 Pickup - Sold
    2007 Cobalt SS - Sold
    2010 Jeep 4 door - Sold
    2011 Journey - Sold
    2012 Cruze - Sold
    2014 GMC Terrain

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by wstadnick View Post
    Depends on your dealership and the hours ya work.

I would never make it to the dealership through the week, and only have Saturday from 9am until Noon to ever make it there. Alot of people probably just wanna know also if it something that can wait until the next service visit, which is also when i usually get any warranty work done.
    The internet is not a great way to determine whether a problem is minor or major. I know there are those who will say I can, blah blah blah......but without it being in front of you to look at or hear, it is not a great way to decide.
    Plus I hear this excuse all the time, but when the dealer or GM doesn't get it fixed when the owner wants, they get butt hurt and complain. Well, it wasn't that big a priority for you to go get it looked at so deal with it. Sorry to come in hard core on this, but humans are their own worst enemies. We put stuff off unless it is something we want to do and then whine about the stuff we put off when it doesn't go our way. I have no sympathy for it and I'm including myself in this.
    Patman, obermd, OnlyTaurus and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanakron40 View Post
    The internet is not a great way to determine whether a problem is minor or major. I know there are those who will say I can, blah blah blah......but without it being in front of you to look at or hear, it is not a great way to decide.
    Plus I hear this excuse all the time, but when the dealer or GM doesn't get it fixed when the owner wants, they get butt hurt and complain. Well, it wasn't that big a priority for you to go get it looked at so deal with it. Sorry to come in hard core on this, but humans are their own worst enemies. We put stuff off unless it is something we want to do and then whine about the stuff we put off when it doesn't go our way. I have no sympathy for it and I'm including myself in this.
    I'm going to side with this statement 100%.

We get plenty of people that work during the day at my dealer. Not all customers are retired owners..

It's the reason we have rentals and even a shuttle van. If you're close, we will take you to where ever you need to be, and pick you up when we're done.

No excuse to put a concern off. You could be fatally harming the Cruze, and when the dealer finds out the code set on Monday and you brought it Saturday because you continued to drive it, and something horrible goes wrong during that window of time, guess who they're going to pin it in. You. That's grounds for denying warranty work.. harsh truth, but 100% true.

If your MIL is on, get it to the dealer asap. They should help you without denting your daily routine too much.
    Patman and obermd like this.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTaurus View Post
    I'm going to side with this statement 100%.

We get plenty of people that work during the day at my dealer. Not all customers are retired owners..

It's the reason we have rentals and even a shuttle van. If you're close, we will take you to where ever you need to be, and pick you up when we're done.

No excuse to put a concern off. You could be fatally harming the Cruze, and when the dealer finds out the code set on Monday and you brought it Saturday because you continued to drive it, and something horrible goes wrong during that window of time, guess who they're going to pin it in. You. That's grounds for denying warranty work.. harsh truth, but 100% true.

If your MIL is on, get it to the dealer asap. They should help you without denting your daily routine too much.
    My dealership is good for providing shuttle transportation to work and I can ride the bus back from work so it is really not an issue. I hate to make this statement but I have not had a reason to take my car back to the dealer for service as my car has been trouble free so far except for when I removed my tire and reshaped my wheel with a fire hydrant. If I did have an issue I would take it in ASAP.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    My dealership is good for providing shuttle transportation to work and I can ride the bus back from work so it is really not an issue. I hate to make this statement but I have not had a reason to take my car back to the dealer for service as my car has been trouble free so far except for when I removed my tire and reshaped my wheel with a fire hydrant. If I did have an issue I would take it in ASAP.
    That isn't an issue......that is a major problem!!!! LOL.

4th Gear
    I had a German car a while back and a well known issue with the fuel pump would cause a CEL when the gas tank got low. As the pump got weaker it couldn't keep up enough fuel flow but would still work a little to the point that a higher level in the tank would push it over the threshold to where it turned off the CEL.

Not saying that's what's going on for the OP but offering it as a theory.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast