cam sensor problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Thread: cam sensor problems

Driver's Ed

cam sensor problems

My engine light keeps coming on and the codes are PO 0016 and PO 0340 The car has been in several times to the agents and despite replacing the cam sensor ,they cant sort it out.They have been fiddling with cams and checking cam timing .The car runs fine and and I have to keep clearing the DTC s.the model is a ls 1.6 l

Does anyone have any ideas
    Last edited by Robrsa; 11-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

We don't have a 1.6 liter engine in these cars.

Also, I'd start checking wiring to the sensor. It's possible something got messed up near the sensor pigtail and connector.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

We do actually have a 1.6 in the cruze.

Chevrolet Cruze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many miles on the engine? I have seen these things on other cars when the timing components are off kilter. The sensor may be just fine but if the timing components are offset, the sensor will see the cam/crank in an unexpected position and kick off the CEL.

Driver's Ed
    Definitely a 1.6 It's a year old and has 68000 kms on it

1st Gear
    Could be wiring, computer, component, or related components. Replacement didn't work. Is the timing set correctly? The dealer should have tests in the shop manual to show if the sensor or computer is bad or if the signals are making it over the wiring.
    You say it runs fine, so timing may bot be an issue. Although, the parameters may be small enough that even if the timing is out a little, it will still run ok.

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Robrsa View Post
    Definitely a 1.6 It's a year old and has 68000 kms on it
    Ahh, we don't get that engine in the States.

Madcat, thanks for the link. I'd forgotten about the engine choices in other markets.

Almost sounds like the timing belt skipped a tooth, and the engine computer's getting really mad about it. The VVT might be able to compensate for that while throwing a code for a cam sensor. I think somebody needs to time the engine to make sure it didn't skip a tooth, or that something is wrong with the timing belt.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    We don't have a 1.6 liter engine in these cars.

Also, I'd start checking wiring to the sensor. It's possible something got messed up near the sensor pigtail and connector.
    Rosbrsa - where are you? North America only has the 1.8 and 1.4T engines. Also, I second the wiring option. If the sensor isn't getting correct power (voltage and current) it will fail intermittently even though there is nothing wrong with your car or the sensor itself.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed
    The timing is confirmed correct I'm in Cape Town South Africa

I would think what Ober said is the next logical step. Might have the dealership run some tests on it if it is still under warranty.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements