DIY simple and cheap appearance mods
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: DIY simple and cheap appearance mods

MjC

DIY simple and cheap appearance mods

I dont know about others but im the kind of person who has no motivation to do any kind of mods due to thinking things are too hard or too troublesome and also keeping budget in mind. I finally mustered up some strength to start trying some things out and want to share my experience and hopefully encourage others. heres my ride:DSCF2591p.jpg white 2012 LT1

First thing ive done is a debadge - my dealer stuck on a really big logo, looks really out of place. here are some before and after pics:
    DSCF2594p.jpg2013-01-09 11.26.43.jpg
    The logo has most likely only been on the car for about 5 days before I removed it. It was really really easy, took about 2 minutes. all i used was a hairdryer, some dental floss and wiped it clean after with a cloth + some cleaning solution. If any one is looking for an ez (basically free) mod this is your first step!

due to the cold temps i was withholding any other mods but weather is saying that im gonna get +10 C over the weekend so i plan to start the below(will have pics after i finish)
    vinyl mods:
    - Received my black carbon fiber emblem overlays yesterday 2$ off of ebay sent from china, received in 20 days from the day i ordered it.
    - tail light tints also bought off ebay 4$ for both tail lights sent from china, bought on same day as the emblems, not receieved yet
    - black matte vinyl over the diffuser, havent bought the vinyl yet but i think its 3$ per sq foot
    - black gloss vinyl over the roof, about 50$
    will be doing all this myself since professional installation is VERY pricey, over 100$ to install vinyl over the roof

rear lip spoiler: i just ordered this, this morning for 86$ and they paint it according to the color code you give them, also from china will let you guys know how it is when i receive it + pics

other mods i want but still unsure of:
    - shark fin: also relatively cheap but i kinda like the stock attena
    - bazooka sub: no idea how to install im clueless about the mechanical and electronical stuff
    - 18" rims: selection doesnt seem too good due to the cruze bolt pattern + i live in canada. my budget is 1000 so money is a very big issue here.
    - led strip fog lights: no idea how to install + quite pricey

feedback, tips, additions, new ideas all welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bbdhomer and Action Hank like this.
    2012 Summit White LT1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Nice man good looking cruze right there. Ive done some of the less expensive mods on the "HOW TO" section of the forum. Just yesterday i heated up the garage and took off the dealership sticker, debadged the cruze eco from the trunk lid, put my matte black over lays on the bowties (front/back)- tonight im going to do the over lays on the marker lights. I also took out the intake resinator (listed in the how to section). Oh and i bought a K&N drop in filter for my stock intake box (like 35$ on amazon- and much better then the stock paper filters). Are the tail light tints you bought pre cut? im looking into doing this as well being that the weather this weekend is supposed to be upwards of 60F. if you do a search on the forum for amp/sub installs with stock head unit there are a few good write ups. doesnt seem to hard todo at all. Im a novice guy when it comes to this and this forum has been a load of help. If you have any questions i may be able to help you out- but definately someone will be able to help you pretty much regardless of what it is. i also did a LED strip called "lightning eyes" off of carid.com and it was a very easy install and they look crazy good. (30$)
    US Army Veteran - Rochester, NY | Instagram : @mastercanine
    2011 Cruze Eco 1.4T M/T
    Mods : -Trifecta Tune - Dual Borla Exhaust - Premium Aftermarket Audio System - ZZP Pillar Gauge Pod - Drop in K&N - Resonator Delete - Custom Vinyl Work (Hood, Roof, Trunk, Front/Rear Bowtie) - Interior L.E.D. Lighting (All) - Exterior L.E.D. Lighting (License plate, GlowTie) - 20% Tint All Around

here are some of the links for quick reference...

intake bypass : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...resonator.html
    intake install (injen) : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...e-install.html -
    - like i said i havent done this yet but its a great write up and i plan on doing it in the spring .
    fog lights : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...nt-bumper.html
    -thats without removing bumper, id recommend removing it its not too hard once u do it once its a piece of cake.. (200$ for OEM fogs tho well worth it if you ask me)
    sub install : (i just did a search theres too many to list here ) http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/gtsea...164j1786578j25
    the fog light strip install is here : Fog/Driving light LED light strip Install w/pics (i havent done it yet but want to - says cost him roughly 20 bucks)... sorry AMERICAN USD HAHA
    and for rims id check out our vendors section - always support our vendors! GOOD DEALS!
    2011 Cruze Eco 1.4T M/T
    Mods : -Trifecta Tune - Dual Borla Exhaust - Premium Aftermarket Audio System - ZZP Pillar Gauge Pod - Drop in K&N - Resonator Delete - Custom Vinyl Work (Hood, Roof, Trunk, Front/Rear Bowtie) - Interior L.E.D. Lighting (All) - Exterior L.E.D. Lighting (License plate, GlowTie) - 20% Tint All Around

Love what you're planning! The sharkfin is super easy, just twist off the old one and place down the new one. It's probably my favourite visual mod I have.

As for the Sub, I just installed mine the other day, in the process of doing a write up once I clean up the wiring/install a killswitch upfront. (and it's not so windy. I'm also waiting for the weekend!).

I'll send you a link once it's done.
    2013 Cruze 2LT w/ RS Package
    2012 Cruze LS (oCRUZEo) -
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Follow me on twitter! @iamjoshmahoney

Contest Manager
    PlastiDip PlastiDip and more PlastiDip.

Check my album in my profile.

http://www.dipyourcar.com

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Quote Originally Posted by oMAHONEYo View Post
    Love what you're planning! The sharkfin is super easy, just twist off the old one and place down the new one. It's probably my favourite visual mod I have.

As for the Sub, I just installed mine the other day, in the process of doing a write up once I clean up the wiring/install a killswitch upfront. (and it's not so windy. I'm also waiting for the weekend!).

hey you mind sending that link my way too?
    2011 Cruze Eco 1.4T M/T

Administrator

Start a thread in the Electronics section for your writeup so we can all see how you did it.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

MjC
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt585 View Post
    here are some of the links for quick reference...

intake bypass : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...resonator.html
    intake install (injen) : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...e-install.html -
    - like i said i havent done this yet but its a great write up and i plan on doing it in the spring .
    fog lights : http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...nt-bumper.html
    -thats without removing bumper, id recommend removing it its not too hard once u do it once its a piece of cake.. (200$ for OEM fogs tho well worth it if you ask me)
    sub install : (i just did a search theres too many to list here ) http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/gtsea...164j1786578j25
    the fog light strip install is here : Fog/Driving light LED light strip Install w/pics (i havent done it yet but want to - says cost him roughly 20 bucks)... sorry AMERICAN USD HAHA
    and for rims id check out our vendors section - always support our vendors! GOOD DEALS!

thanks for the help
    definitely want to look into the lightning eyes and those fog light LED strip
    installing the OEM fog light is gonna leave a dent in my wallet =S and i really have no need for fog lights, i just think leds look nice if i can just install the strip i can avoid all the trouble of fog lights not to mention the cost woot
    do u happen to have any pics of how the lightning eyes turned out?
    do u also have a pic of those marker light overlays? did u cover it up or form some kind of design?
    USD and CDN seem to be almost equal nowadays anyways so i just treat them as being the same =D
    still lacking the motivation for subwoofer installation but eventually ill get to it!
    2012 Summit White LT1

MjC
    Quote Originally Posted by tecollins1 View Post
    PlastiDip PlastiDip and more PlastiDip.

Check my album in my profile.

http://www.dipyourcar.com

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

avoiding plasti dip because of longetivity, its also harder to grab hold of since its illegal up here =[
    2012 Summit White LT1

MjC

looking forward to that!
    2012 Summit White LT1

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast