HID Projector Retrofit (Pic Heavy)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: HID Projector Retrofit (Pic Heavy)

Learning about my Cruze ZMVallo's Avatar

HID Projector Retrofit (Pic Heavy)

okay guys, here goes nothing. trying my go and retrofitting my halogen headlights with projectors and throwing in a new set of HID's. I have already built and installed mounts & ballasts for my "old" 35w, 6000k HID's. I loved those but myself being somewhat of a perfectionist wanted to see if I could best myself... here goes nothing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

so here's what I started with, not enough to say "custom fabricated" but hey... they work.
    614378_459242274098310_1550184019_o.jpg272771_459242204098317_323116644_o.jpg192810_459242587431612_2057718187_o.jpg

and the view with the 35w, 6000k bulbs.

20130212_063637.jpg20130204_173606.jpg20130210_005044.jpg

and what I've been working on lately...
    ordered a set of projectors and these came, I called and yes... Santa delivers.

20130206_180023.jpg

not a fan of chrome, so I separated the shroud from the projector housing and rattlecanned the chrome with a self etching primer.

20130206_173741.jpg20130206_173734.jpg20130212_150615.jpg

should get them painted gloss white tomorrow, if time at work allows.
    we all like our ass pats and attaboys... fyi.

I'll try to post on the daily. let me know what you guys think or have seen done... thanks.
    DrVette likes this.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    To keep this in the How-To Library, you will need to post a step by step tutorial that others can follow to achieve the same thing you did. Otherwise, this would be just a project thread and will get moved to the Appearance & Body or Electrical section. Let me know what you want to do.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I admire people like you who retrofit projectors to improve lighting instead of just slapping an HID "conversion kit" into a factory housing.
    luv2cruze and CruzeTech like this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    To keep this in the How-To Library, you will need to post a step by step tutorial that others can follow to achieve the same thing you did. Otherwise, this would be just a project thread and will get moved to the Appearance & Body or Electrical section. Let me know what you want to do.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I admire people like you who retrofit projectors to improve lighting instead of just slapping an HID "conversion kit" into a factory housing.

can you move it to the appearance & body section, please.

got them painted gloss white, they look so much better in person. surprised myself with a rattlecan.
    I'll bake the factory headlights, separate and complete the project and install this weekend.

20130213_152623.jpg

gonna pull the mounting plates I fabbed up and paint them tomorrow. Seattle tends to be enemies with bare metal...

I have the victory red Cruze, red engine bay obviously... should I paint the plates white?
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

Handbrake Released
    Pull the projector apart with the 4 screws holding the lense holder on and paint that metal shield facing the lense any color you want.
    In the daylight the lense will glow the color you painted it.

I did the same to the minH1 projector and it gives a decent "demon eye" effect.

Just throwing this out there. Also you can space the lense for more of a color flicker

I take it you went with aftermarket housings? I spent all Sunday baking mine and the only results I got were a sore elbow and probably a Jersey shore tan.

Look forward to your finished project.
    OnlyTaurus likes this.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMVallo View Post
    got them painted gloss white, they look so much better in person. surprised myself with a rattlecan.
    I'll bake the factory headlights, separate and complete the project and install this weekend.

20130213_152623.jpg

gonna pull the mounting plates I fabbed up and paint them tomorrow. Seattle tends to be enemies with bare metal...

I have the victory red Cruze, red engine bay obviously... should I paint the plates white?
    Good luck with that!!! I tore my rotator cuff trying to pry mine apart

Handbrake Released
    I would have to say it is nearly almost impossible to get the stock housings apart without butchering them. I went with aftermarket housings and I had no issues with getting those apart, or quality of the light housing.

Ive done a retrofit twice and these OEM headlights can be taken apart, but very carefully, time consuming and high possibility of messing up the plastic to make a proper seal.
    (I have a pair of my previous retrofit for sale in the classifieds)

I wanted my lights to look as clean as possible, with no tool marks on the plastic, or silicone on the sides.

Goodluck getting the OEM lights apart!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast