Window will roll up but not down

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Window will roll up but not down

chevrasaki is online now [OP]
    Drag Racing Champion

Window will roll up but not down

Hello,

First time I've needed assistance in fixing a problem with my Cruze, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't find window regulators. I'm pretty bummed. I lost my B2B warranty 250 miles ago and now I have a problem.

This morning after a decent snow I tried to roll my drivers window down and heard an odd noise I had never heard before. It sounded like the motor was moving but the window wasn't. I can move the window down manually, but the motors won't roll it down. The motors will roll the window UP but not DOWN. I'm fairly certain I broke something or some part of the window mechanism came unattached.

I talked to the Chevy dealer and they think it's broken and I'll have to replace the whole regulator which requires drilling rivets and replacing them with bolts. ~$180 for the regulator and ~$140 for labor. I see there are aftermarket regulators for a more reasonable price and I'd replace it myself but I don't have the tools to drill rivets, nor do I really want to drill parts of my door. That's slightly out of my comfort zone. Only 250 miles after my bumper to bumper expired. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Has anyone had this problem before? How did you solve it if so? Thanks!
    Current vehicles:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Previous vehicles:
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
    2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear

fixed missing url

If the window was froze shut - always wait for it to defrost before rolling it down.

Advice mostly for those looking than for you as it is a bit late. If your lucky, someone has already done this and there may be a How To posted. As far as drilling rivets - any drill motor and the appropriate size bit (usually 1/8"
    ) will work. I would do a goggle search for similar issues with their accompanying fixes.

how to remove front door panel chevy cruze

Cruze door speaker removal (not sure if this is needed)

Chevy Impala regulator replacement (there are a ton of these)

I have not watched any of these, but these are some quick examples.

When you run into problems - come back to the forum for help.

Good luck!

EDIT: PS - Do not ever pour hot water on a frozen door - you will regret it!
    Last edited by Blasirl; 01-08-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling - added water warning
    obermd, Tomko and chevrasaki like this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals)
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1988 Dodge Aries K SE 2dr (Hidden Content ) also in Hidden Content
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chevrasaki View Post
    but I don't have the tools to drill rivets, nor do I really want to drill parts of my door.
    Nothing to it, really. Just need a power drill and a metal drill bit of the right size. Hopefully the rivet has a dimple that keeps your bit centered on it. If so, drilling the rivets will be one of the easier parts of the job. I just hope the rivet isn't in some hard to get to spot.
    Merc6 likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Nothing to it, really. Just need a power drill and a metal drill bit of the right size. Hopefully the rivet has a dimple that keeps your bit centered on it. If so, drilling the rivets will be one of the easier parts of the job. I just hope the rivet isn't in some hard to get to spot.
    Even with a dimple, you can use a split tip bit
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals)
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

Driver's Ed
    My daughter's 2012 cruze eco has the same exact problem . I just need to find the time to work on it .

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Hay worm . do you have access to a heated garage ?
    If not wait until spring ...

To all of the rest of the goofie balls ..do not attempt to roll your windows down when they are frozen solid . you more than likely have forgotten to winterrize the cruzen and forgotten why we put a dielectric grease upon the weatherstripping ......
    Merc6 and chevrasaki like this.
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brian v View Post
    Hay worm . do you have access to a heated garage ?
    If not wait until spring ...

To all of the rest of the goofie balls ..do not attempt to roll your windows down when they are frozen solid . you more than likely have forgotten to winterrize the cruzen and forgotten why we put a dielectric grease upon the weatherstripping ......
    Sup Brian!

Unfortunately I do not have access to a heated garage, or any garage for that matter. A garage is something I want more than anything right now. My apartment forbids doing any type of vehicle maintenance which is very frustrating. I've been looking at getting a house but that will have to wait until July when my lease is up. I'll do some research on how to replace it myself, and when it's warm again I'll make a trip to my friends or parents place to borrow their garage and tools.

The weird thing is, I had the window defrosted, and it rolled down just fine, I smoked a cig and I rolled it back up. It wasn't until I had been driving around for about 5 minutes with the heat turned back down that the melted snow/ice had refrozen and when I tried to roll it down again at the bank, it was no longer working. I'm glad at least it still rolls up just fine, I'd be much more upset if it broke when the window was all the way down and wouldn't roll up.

Also, I've never heard of dielectric grease going on the window weather strip before. Would this make it more difficult for the strip to freeze to the window? I feel like that would just leave greasy smear marks on the window.
    Blasirl likes this.
    Current vehicles:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Previous vehicles:
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
    2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)

6th Gear
    Sup Brian!

Also, I've never heard of dielectric grease going on the window weather strip before. Would this make it more difficult for the strip to freeze to the window? I feel like that would just leave greasy smear marks on the window.
    A little dab'l do ya! I use silicone grease and put on a very thin coat. I would suggest trying it on the drivers window 1st as if you're anything like me you will get bored while doing every window and end up putting too much on. I would also suggest using latex/nitrile gloves as it will be a little messy.
    chevrasaki likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

Drag Racing Champion
    UPDATE: My window got crooked in the track and I was no longer able to roll it up completely. There was an open space between the window and the B pillar. I was concerned water was going to get in with this recent rain so I duct taped it temporarily.

I took the car into my local Chevy dealer. They discovered the block that holds the window to the cable/motor had worked it's way off of the window so they simply re-attached it. They were very nice in only charging me the diagnostic fee, no parts and no labor. I left a very happy person . Car is working properly again and I can go through drive-thrus again!
    Current vehicles:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Previous vehicles:

2nd Gear
    I took the car into my local Chevy dealer. They discovered the block that holds the window to the cable/motor had worked it's way off of the window so they simply re-attached it.
    I had the same issue on my '12 Eco. One of the clips was cracked, but a set was purchased on ebay for about $12 shipped.
    chevrasaki likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.