Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Windshield film

17K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Ma v e n 
#1 ·
What's the best product for cleaning the "film" on the inside of the windshield? You would think I was a chain smoker the way it builds up (im not a smoker and there is no smoking in my car either). I haven't even used the defroster in months and it seems like I have to clean it every couple weeks cause the haze builds up so quickly.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
I like Invisible Glass and a glass-cleaning microfiber. It cuts through that stuff like a hot knife through butter.

It gets better as the car ages.

#4 ·
Invisible Glass is all I use. Works like a champ! Just use a micro fiber cloth and your set :)

#9 ·
I also find interior glass cleaning very frustrating. I was thinking about waxing the inside surface. Has anybody ever tried waxing? Many years ago there used to be a product called "Glass Wax". It wasn't made specifically for autos but more for general household use.

#10 ·
As many have pointed out... Invisible glass, etc. I just use whatever glass cleaner the wife has on hand. Follow up with this Rain-X® Anti-Fog - Rain-X... I only use it during the winter, but really depends on the environment. I find that smog (large metro areas) is a big problem for any window & need to use it more often. Oh these Walmart.com: Handy EZ Windshield Wiper with Long Handle and Pivoting Head: Automotive are great for cleaning the inside windshield & rear window too. Try the discount stores 1st since you can get them for about $3-5.

#14 ·
Stoners is a must in my book.You can use paper towels if you get the cheapest possible they tend to work very well.Also as far as the film i used to use 70% isopropyl alcohol first and it would cut through everything on the window.I mean everything dont use if you got tint.But it also pulls out the blue dye that windex leaves.Once over with 70% alcohol then follow up with stoners and you will have a windshield or window so clean you can shave in it.

#15 ·
What works very well is any kind of glass cleaner and if you also use steel wool after you spray the inside windsheild it really takes off the film just using window spray sometimes it leaves smeary marks alot i do detailing and i do that little trick alot it helps out a bunch then use a linen towel after it and you will see no smear marks at all!

#17 · (Edited)
any kind of glass cleaner and if you also use steel wool after you spray the inside windsheild it really takes off the film
Steel wool on glass ... Really?! I don't think that's something I'll be trying anytime soon. Heck, I used a scotch-brite type pad to clean off the leftovers from removing the window tint in an old car of mine, and it visibly scratched it up pretty well, so I can only imagine what steel wool would do.

Back in the day, I used to use vinegar (make sure you have rubber gloves or your hands will stink!) and regular ol newspaper to get rid of film and streaks, but since they started using soy-oil based inks on newspapers, that doesn't work so well anymore. I'm also wondering if the film is related to the anti-freeze smell a lot of people report in their cruzes? I've never had another vehicle that I had to clean the windows on so much as I do with my Eco.

#16 ·
I recommend mothers glass cleaner and a waffle weave glass towel. You can get the towels off autogeek.net or detailing.com. I think detailing.com is way cheaper and a better price than autogeek. You can almost get four towels for the price of one from detailing.com at 2.49 each than 9.99 each at autogeek. I used these on my cruze and it got the windows cleaned. However, i gotta do it again. Not sure why it keeps coming back. I think its the gases coming out of the dash panels. Its just natural according to mothers and meguiars. Especially if the dealer or myself added dash protectant to the panels which i did. I hope this helps. If anyone has a detailing question on here for ur cruze, please ask me. Im an expert at detailing. Thank yOu in advance =]

#18 ·
Windex and paper towels. On the inside, I wipe horizontally and on the outside wipe vertically. Streak side can be easily identified based on the streak direction this way.

#22 ·
I use invisible glass and a flat weave glass specific microfiber like many have already recommended, however I'd add buffing the glass out with a 1:1 mix of distilled water and white vinegar with newsprint will likely give you the cleanest wndows you've ever seen, and for cheaper than any other method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.