Bilstein B8 : The sweet spot

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bilstein B8 : The sweet spot

Poje is offline [OP]

Lightbulb Bilstein B8 : The sweet spot

BilB8.JPGB8installed.JPG

History of my suspension : Stock, then installed UR bars, then installed Pedders Xa coil-overs, then removed some UR bars, then installed Camber bolts and 15mm H&R spacers, then went back to stock shocks but with H&R springs and then installed Bilstein B8 shocks and kept the H&R springs.

Some of you may remember i was one of the few back in the day that actualy raced on a local racetrack, did some lapping and calibrated my coil-overs for months b4 i was very satisfied. The trouble is, after that year of joy and incredible handling, they broke in the following winter. (I don't think Pedders thought they would be used in -30c weather...)

So i changed to H&R springs + stock shocks... It didnt take me long to realise that it wasnt a good combo : They bottomed-out way too often in normal driving and when pushing the car, it was even worst. (The reduction of wheel travel with underdamped shocks doesnt work at all.)

It was either buy another set of Coil-overs or try to find another solution and i did : Bilstein B8.

These shocks are made especialy to work with Sport springs : They are shortened and the damping is increased.

In one word : WOW.

No more bottoming-out, increased confort, increased body control and handling. Im super satisfied!

For someone like me who use his car all year, in the winter and with the bad roads we have in Quebec, this is the sweet spot.

PS : - 1st pic you see the B8. Notice how thick is the shaft compared to our stock shocks.

- 2nd pic installed. List of stuff you see : H&R springs, Bilstein B8, Eiback camber bolt, ZZP 12" brake kit, H&R 15mm spacers and Moog endlink.

- Alignment : -1.6 of camber, 0 of toe-in, stock caster, stock rear alignment and 32lbs in tires.
    Last edited by Poje; 07-28-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    2015 Cruze Diesel White : Tinted windows, de-badged, Fleece tune and downpipe, PTP Turbo Blanket, Intake mod, 3M black gloss roof and Plastidip diffuser, Bilstein B8 shocks, PZero tires.

2014 Cruze Diesel Red : Stock.

2012 Cruze RS Silver (Sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Cool! Thanks for this. I'm making a shopping list now. Hopes and dreams ya know? I was looking at the b12 kit. But still thinking kw maybe. Our season stops in October and starts in April.

Thought about shims on the rear??

Poje is offline [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by 170-3tree View Post
    Cool! Thanks for this. I'm making a shopping list now. Hopes and dreams ya know? I was looking at the b12 kit. But still thinking kw maybe. Our season stops in October and starts in April.

Thought about shims on the rear??
    Ya, i thought about it, but its not necesary. The rear is stable and the stock alignment is ok. The only thing i may add in the rear in the futur is a Whiteline swaybar, but i like the way the car is driving right now.
    2015 Cruze Diesel White : Tinted windows, de-badged, Fleece tune and downpipe, PTP Turbo Blanket, Intake mod, 3M black gloss roof and Plastidip diffuser, Bilstein B8 shocks, PZero tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I've thought about a sway bar back there, but that might jump my class as well. Doing the b12 kit, not the coilovers, costs just a smidge more than the springs and just front struts.

Poje is offline [OP]
    I've thought about a sway bar back there, but that might jump my class as well. Doing the b12 kit, not the coilovers, costs just a smidge more than the springs and just front struts.
    The B12 kit would be a very good choice!

Just went on a road trip and im very impressed how good those B8s are. Knowing what i know now, for sure i would have installed that right at the start.

It looks good. My concern is that under dampered rears might cause chopped rear tires or even slight cupping. I see it all day long on compact cars with bad rear shocks. If it helps reduce weight transfer on starts it wouldn't hurt anything either. I wish they'd make the sportlines honestly, but they'd have done it if they were going to.

Poje is offline [OP]
    It looks good. My concern is that under dampered rears might cause chopped rear tires or even slight cupping. I see it all day long on compact cars with bad rear shocks. If it helps reduce weight transfer on starts it wouldn't hurt anything either. I wish they'd make the sportlines honestly, but they'd have done it if they were going to.
    If you order the B12 you will have front and back shocks.

That's my goal, and why I think it looks like the best option without coilovers. But I've got time to get off the fence on the subject.

Also!!! What do you think of those spacers? Did you have to mess with the studs?

Poje is offline [OP]
    Also!!! What do you think of those spacers? Did you have to mess with the studs?
    I wouldnt touch the back if i were you. Just install the B12 kit, do a normal alignment and see how you like it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.