Brake issue in the mornings

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tonyz89
  • 1 Post By Eddy Cruze
  • 2 Post By jblackburn
  • 1 Post By Robby

Thread: Brake issue in the mornings

tonyz89 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Brake issue in the mornings

Hello all! I've been a lurker on these forums and finally decided to sign up!

I have a 2014 Cruze LT and I've had this problem with the brakes in the morning. Now it seems like it's the exact same issue as others I've seen on here with the power braking and the switch, but mine seems different and I had it serviced. My problem only arises when it is bitterly cold I live in the Chicago suburbs so it's been getting single digits to negative with wind chill and in the morning my brake pedal is hard as a rock and takes a few pumps to get the vacuum. At first I didn't realize this issue and had that common problem of putting it in reverse and having to exert more force to brake and almost had to pull the E-brake. I took it in to my dealer as I only have 4k miles left on my extended warranty and they didn't believe me as they "couldn't duplicate the problem" but I told them to keep the car overnight and start it in the morning and sure enough the tech said he needed to replace the booster assembly. This ended up not being the issue as I still have the problem on really cold mornings, but today when it was 40 degrees out I was able to start the car and go right away with no issues. So, what causes this issue when it is so cold out? Should I just let it warm up a little? Again brand new brake booster didn't fix the problem and I wonder if I should call the dealer back though I am hesitant as they gave me hassle the whole time.
    DoeLow615 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Go to a different Dealer
    Merc6 likes this.

Resident Tater Salad

Did they replace the microswitch? This is the issue - it triggers the pump to run when the engine itself provides no vacuum (cold start).
    Merc6 and DoeLow615 like this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Super Moderator

^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said and maybe name the dealer.

Rob
    Merc6 likes this.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Welcome to the forum, tonyz89,

We can certainly understand how frustrating this would be, and apologize for any inconveniences caused. Although our team is unable to provide any technical feedback, we welcome the opportunity to assist you while you bring this matter to your dealer’s attention once more. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, contact information and name of involved dealer at your earliest convenience.

Helen
    Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz89 View Post
    Hello all! I've been a lurker on these forums and finally decided to sign up!

I have a 2014 Cruze LT and I've had this problem with the brakes in the morning. Now it seems like it's the exact same issue as others I've seen on here with the power braking and the switch, but mine seems different and I had it serviced. My problem only arises when it is bitterly cold I live in the Chicago suburbs so it's been getting single digits to negative with wind chill and in the morning my brake pedal is hard as a rock and takes a few pumps to get the vacuum. At first I didn't realize this issue and had that common problem of putting it in reverse and having to exert more force to brake and almost had to pull the E-brake. I took it in to my dealer as I only have 4k miles left on my extended warranty and they didn't believe me as they "couldn't duplicate the problem" but I told them to keep the car overnight and start it in the morning and sure enough the tech said he needed to replace the booster assembly. This ended up not being the issue as I still have the problem on really cold mornings, but today when it was 40 degrees out I was able to start the car and go right away with no issues. So, what causes this issue when it is so cold out? Should I just let it warm up a little? Again brand new brake booster didn't fix the problem and I wonder if I should call the dealer back though I am hesitant as they gave me hassle the whole time.

tonyz89 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    I do not believe they changed the micro switch. My paper work simply says the booster was replaced something with a pin for the pedal I believe and just to relearn the position of the pedal. I haven't had the issue since we've been in a mild streak of weather and it has no occurred at all because like it said it only happens when it's bitterly cold out and I don't know what to do as they need to duplicate the problem and it cost money even under warranty to just look at the car. The dealer was Advantage Chevy in Hodgkins, IL.

Super Moderator
    Normal for the diagnostic fee but and a strong but...... The switch is a safety known issue that's been covered for a few years now. When my actual booster pump went it took the fuse with it. I wasn't an auto so the switch wasn't faulty in my case.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

Welcome Aboard!

I wish you luck on your problem resolution.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, integral dash cam,Hidden Content )
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1988 Dodge Aries K SE 2dr (Hidden Content )
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

tonyz89 is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Seeing as I already paid a diagnostic fee even though it was only 100 through the extended warranty I don't want to nor have the money to do that again. Anybody have a guide to replace the switch?

Super Moderator

Since the diagnostic was clearly incorrect I think you would not be out of line to request a correct diagnostic at no additional charge.

BTW....was the $100.00 dollars a actual diagnostic or was it the deductable charge for your extended warranty?
    If it was actually a deductable, and the problem is not resolved, and the warranty is a GM program, the dealer is to waive any additional deductable expense related to the original claim.

( I used to be an administrator for this)

Rob

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.