Duralast rotors and pads

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Duralast rotors and pads

Driver's Ed

Duralast rotors and pads

2014 1.8l LS

Brakes are doing well at 71k. However I know they will need replacing soon. AutoZone has a ship to home deal and I can get rotors and metallic pads for dirt cheap now (links below). Also leaning to the semi since I'd rather change pads than rotors. Semi setup buy is ~$115 shipped and Metalic setup buy is ~$125

Anyone with a good/bad opinion on these? I do mostly highway driving in the desert (AZ and Cali). I've never had an issue with previous Duralast stuff buts it's been years since I've had to buy and replace rotors.

Rotors: CLICK ME

Metallic Pads: CLICK ME

Semi-Metallic: CLICKY

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    I went with Centric rotors and Duralst pads but really wanted Greenstuff pads - had the rotors in time but the brakes started grinding so Duralast it was.

Centric OE Brake Kit Upgrade
    Merc6 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals)
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1988 Dodge Aries K SE 2dr (Hidden Content ) also in Hidden Content
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

Super Moderator
    Since you have time, shop around. Rock Auto can beat those prices when you google rockauto discount code. When I signed in right now it says I have a 5% discount applied to whatever I order. Won't let me post it here tho.

This is what most of us ended up getting for rotors. I would recommend these over the Duralast hands down.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3000993&jsn=31

I ended up going with these for pads but they need to be heated up to work perfectly.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...491&cc=3000993

For what it's worth I liked them and they were low dusting. Others picked a less aggressive pad setup like this.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3000993&jsn=19
    dhpnet likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

My brakes still have A LOT of life left, but there is some vibration that is really annoying me. I have been seriously considering changing them. I am definitely going with the Centric rotors. I haven't decided on the pads yet. I have read a lot of good stuff about the Akebono ceramic pads. Low dust is a higher priority for me. I hate having tons of dust on my wheels after driving home from the car wash.

I have used Duralast pads on previous cars, but it's been a very long time and I can't remember if I liked them much. I don't remember thinking that they were something I needed to go out of my way for again.

The last set of pads I put on my Saturn were awesome. Almost no dust, no vibration, great stopping. They were on the car for many years and had very little wear when I traded it in for the Cruze. Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt and I can't remember what brand they were. They were ceramic and almost white in color. I bought them at Kragan before they were bought out by O'Reilly. I remember the guy at the counter telling me that they were the best pads he had ever used and worth the extra few dollars. I think they were only about $50.
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Another +1 on the Centric rotors.

I used Akebono ProAct ceramic pads and was happy with them. I hate brake dust, and they made very little and were grippy.
    Merc6 and jmlo96 like this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by AzSandSlinger View Post
    2014 1.8l LS

Brakes are doing well at 71k. However I know they will need replacing soon.
    71K is pretty good. If OEM has got you this far, why not stick with OEM? Sure its pricier but at least you'll know for a fact that you'll get another 71K at least out of them. Can you be so sure with Duralast or any other auto parts store brand?

Mine lasted till 84k. And I replaced with OEM rotors and pads. That's just the FRONT! My rear drums were still ok. I've got 101K now so I'll probably need to check the rear again soon.

Front Rotor (Left) #23118274
    Front Rotor (Right) #23118274
    Front Brake Pad Kit #13412807 (15 INCH WHEEL) or #13412809 (16 INCH WHEEL)

Driver's Ed
    Appreciate the responses. I don't mind going OEM (I think they've been great so far), but $125 for pads alone is ludicrous. The rotors are reasonable though (thanks for the PNs!).

I forgot to check Rockauto. They do have a rotor/pad kit from PowerStop. Never used them so I'll probably pass on them. The Centrics are looking more reasonable but it's still a toss up between them and the Duralast.

Thanks also for reminding me about dust. It's never been an issue since I've really never had dust with the stockers. So I think I may just spring for the ceramics.

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

My OEM rotors were horrible. I don't know if it was just a casting defect or they were just cheap, but I had them resurfaced by 10k and replaced in the mid 20's. No issues with the Centrics in 2x that. The pads would fade in repeated highway stop-and-go in the summer as well, so that got annoying too.

The stock pads on my '16 make a ton of dust. I don't know if they're different from the 1st gens or not.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    My OEM rotors were horrible. I don't know if it was just a casting defect or they were just cheap, but I had them resurfaced by 10k and replaced in the mid 20's. No issues with the Centrics in 2x that. The pads would fade in repeated highway stop-and-go in the summer as well, so that got annoying too.

The stock pads on my '16 make a ton of dust. I don't know if they're different from the 1st gens or not.
    Ya, weird. I bought my Cruze from a Dealer, used with ~20k on the ODO. Car fax says guy only had it 6-8mnths. So far I've put 50k on it and I've had no issues (knocks on wood) with braking or brake dust. Maybe it's the highway and desert driving I do?

Either way, I'm getting flashbacks of annoying brake dust so ceramics are looking better. Or I just Black out my rims and really down my care. Lol

Administrator
    Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by AzSandSlinger View Post
    Ya, weird. I bought my Cruze from a Dealer, used with ~20k on the ODO. Car fax says guy only had it 6-8mnths. So far I've put 50k on it and I've had no issues (knocks on wood) with braking or brake dust. Maybe it's the highway and desert driving I do?

Either way, I'm getting flashbacks of annoying brake dust so ceramics are looking better. Or I just Black out my rims and really down my care. Lol
    OEM pads are some sort of ceramic compound formulation anyway, probably formulated more for grippiness, long life, and less for heat dissipation. I forget who they're made by - I think it's actually a cheaper Akebono pad.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.