Summer tires or high performance all season?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer tires or high performance all season?

Summer tires or high performance all season?

As winter is coming close to an end it is time for me to buy either summer tires, or high performance all season tires. With this being said i want to note that i have searched the forum and am having trouble finding any info on what to buy. Tires and rims are a foreign language to me and i have done research on them, but i still feel that i am missing something and lost...

If anyone has any good suggestions for performance tires that will work on the ECO 17 rims, i would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer to keep it around or below the 200 dollar a tire mark, and still be able to get some decent life out of them. 30,000 miles maybe? I want to take the cruze to the track here in the next couple months, and see what kinda numbers i can put down for the quarter mile.
    DGR Coils,ZZP Dp,ZZP FMIC,IC Sprayers,Injen CAI,E85 tune, 42lb injectors,SPEC Stage 2+ clutch,Forge Motorsport BOV, CAI Ducting In Front Bumper,Plastidip chrome +rims Yellow Fogs, Rally Armor Flaps, 35%Tint,Vortex Generators,curbweight2886,red headliner.Future mods:ZZP Midpipe Brakes,Forged/Cryo treated engine internals,Sequential Twin Turbo, Red Bride Seats, Harness Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion

As always, i will toss in Nitto Motivos. Very good all around tire that will get you a performance bump with good tread life and a warranty. Personally i would just go with the stock 215/55/17 but they do make a 225/50/17 also (slightly wider). But tires are like ice cream, hundreds of flavors and everyone has different taste.

It should be noted that if you plan on running the tires all year you have to go with an all season. Summer tires are not designed for cold weather and winter tires are not designed for hot weather.
    Nick
    USAF
    www.motorcityforums.com
    2011 Cruze Eco
    1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=9723
    In the recent past:
    2002 Trans Am WS6 346CI of unbridled fury! 469RWH/434RWTQ 11.01 @ 123MPH You will be missed!
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT 309WHP/357RWTQ 12.21 @ 113
    2000 Subaru Impreza RS 203WHP/201WTQ 14.2 @ 103

Duke of Oil
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Summer tires (which are generally known as performance tires) usually have a very low life that ranges from 10k to 30k. Many of them have no treadwear warranty. A performance level all-season tire will easily achieve 40k-45k and have a warranty. What you need to ask yourself is whether or not you plan on replacing tires that often. Read the treadwear warranty on the summer tires available to see what you can expect, and also read the fine print, such as when rotations are required to be done and so forth.

I would personally recommend going with a 235/50/17 high performance all season tire. I am a big fan of the Bridgestone G019 Grid and the Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Position. Both are around the $170 mark in 235/50/17. I personally use the G019 Grid in 245/45/17 on my Supercharged 3800-swapped 95 Regal and they hold down well over 350lb-ft of torque to the front wheels amazingly well.

The G019 Grid has a 50k mile warranty, while the RE970AS Pole Position has a 40k mile warranty and is a stickier tire.

Both are uni-directional tires, so they will require frequent and regular rotations to keep them from cupping.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 02-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Thanks for the quick responses guys i am going to take a look at all 3 of these tires
    DGR Coils,ZZP Dp,ZZP FMIC,IC Sprayers,Injen CAI,E85 tune, 42lb injectors,SPEC Stage 2+ clutch,Forge Motorsport BOV, CAI Ducting In Front Bumper,Plastidip chrome +rims Yellow Fogs, Rally Armor Flaps, 35%Tint,Vortex Generators,curbweight2886,red headliner.Future mods:ZZP Midpipe Brakes,Forged/Cryo treated engine internals,Sequential Twin Turbo, Red Bride Seats, Harness Bar

Retired Moderator

I'd go performance all-season. That way a little early-season snow won't ruin your day.

Do you have dedicated winter tires? The only way I'd recommend summer tires to somebody in Illinois was if they had dedicated winter tires.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

I do not have winter tires i was thinking about just using my awful stock Eco tires for the winter if i went the summer tire route. But its sounding like i can get a pretty grippy all season tire so that's prob the route i will take.

Here are some ratings on performance all season tires. Best Tires to Buy List Released by Consumer Reports | AutoGuide.com News
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

Off-Road Champion
    Summer tires (which are generally known as performance tires) usually have a very low life that ranges from 10k to 30k.
    I had Michelin Pilot Sports (summer high performance tires) last between 10k to 13k when I had a Mercedes C230K coupe. The rear tires wore out faster then the fronts.
    2014 Jet Black / Black M Sport 6M BMW 320i
    2012 Urban Titanium Metallic/black interior Honda CR-V LX AWD 5A-wife's
    2011 Black Granite Metallic/medium titanum interior Cruze ECO 6M - sold
    2004 Pulse Red/black leather interior GTO 6M
    1988 Black/Recaro interior Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 5M-garage queen

a very good all-around performance tire is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (currently $153 per tire on TireRack in the OE size 215/55/17). The snow traction I had with these tires was impressive so you can imagine how the dry performance was.

MT drag radial hahaha.......no really

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast