Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

TPMS reading wrong pressure

37K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ChevyGuy 
#1 ·
Hey all. Here's the back story.

I have a '14 ECO and when I bought it, the dealer swapped out the tire air for nitrogen, as part of the ECO package. Now that I have moved, the dealer here does not have a nitrogen machine, but I did find a tire shop that offers lifetime nitrogen for $25.

Here's the problem.

The on-board TPMS says my L/R is at 26 pounds. The nitrogen machine at the tire shop shows all 4 tires at 35 pounds. Is this something that the dealer needs to look at and would it be under warranty?

Thanks,
Larry

#2 ·
Since it's just one tire, it does sound like a sensor issue. (I'm assuming you don't have a full-sized spare tire - otherwise I'd suggest you check the spare to make sure that's not where the reading is coming from.)

One caution - a non-GM approved tire sealant could gunk things up. In that case it's not going to be covered by any warranty. Otherwise, assuming you haven't gone over the 36,000 mile limit for B2B, I'd think it would be covered.

#5 ·
I don't think the reset resets the calibration. The computer might be confused as to which sensor is the L/R, but that sensor has to be in range to get a reading. But he says all his tires are fine.

#6 ·
I second the "bad" sensor in one tire. As long as you are under the B2B warranty and still have the OEM tires this should be covered. By the way, spend the $25 on an air pump - nitrogen in passenger car tires has no benefits.

#8 ·
Key advantage of nitrogen is getting dry air, but already have a moisture filter on my air compressor, close enough. Is required on large aircraft, but dealing with around 350 psi pressures with aircraft that fly in way subzero temperatures.

How in the world did I get by with driving vehicles using compressed air and without TPMS for some odd 60 years? Heard some got by, by deflating the tire to reset the TPMS. But wouldn't dare do this with the tire on the ground, could break your beads, better jack it up first. Or get a second mortgage on your home and purchase that electronic whatever.

Properly working TPMS does give you knowledge, but not a cure. Ha, in talking to one of my kids on this issue, only place they can find air is at a tire dealer or your car dealer that maintains bankers hours. And don't even do this for free, one kid had to pay for this.

Could buy something like this:

That operates off your cigar lighter socket, but don't trust that Made in China gauge, buy a good gauge. Ha, also allow a half a day to fill a tire.

DIY? Cost around 30 bucks for one of these.

Can still break a bead with a hydraulic jack under the bumper of my motorhome, but also need rim sealer. Heard a dealer charges 80 bucks per tire, times four, with tax comes to 340 bucks that use to cost a couple of bucks to get done.

Think they want us to trade our cars in before the BB warranty expires.

Could always check your tires with a gague, only thing TPMS does is let you do this in the car to save you about 120 seconds worth of work. But is the law!!!

#10 ·
Or get a second mortgage on your home and purchase that electronic whatever.
I'm surprised no one have figured out how to build one. IIRC, it's a magnetic field at some low frequency. (150Khz?) It's not rocket science. Heck, got a grid dip meter? You may already have a TPMS reset device.

#21 ·
It may be that the sensor is locked up and not calling home and the receiver is just retaining last read or last erroneous read, there is a TINY microprocessor inside the TPMS sensor and it is subject to lockup, using the re-learn tool causes a reset of the micro and handshake with receiver is reestablished, if you do a total microprocessor count in the cruze I'm sure it's over 20 !!!

#22 ·
It may be that the sensor is locked up and not calling home and the receiver is just retaining last read or last erroneous read,
I'm pretty sure that if the unit fails to call home, the display shows "--" for the pressure and the light comes on. That's a system malfunction.

I suppose it could happen that the processor locks onto an old reading, but those are such simple processors with such a simple task, I'm not sure why they would lock up.

But the test there would be to see if simply using the relearn tool without putting the car into relearn mode fixes it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.