New tires for a 2012 LT RS - Need opinions
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New tires for a 2012 LT RS - Need opinions

Driver's Ed

New tires for a 2012 LT RS - Need opinions

I've got a 2012 Cruze LT RS with 53,000 miles on it. Time for new tires! I've been shopping around online and reading a lot of reviews. I'm looking for some opinions of other Cruze owners that have replaced the tires on their cars. Here is my list of important characteristics in order of importance.

1. Fuel Economy
    2. Road Noise
    3. Tread Life
    4. Price
    5. Handling

I have a light foot and drive more to conserve fuel than I do hot rodding around. Reading online I see that a lot of people like the Michelin Defenders. TireRack.com has them for $406 for a set of 4 including a $70 mail in rebate. That looks pretty attractive to me, but some of the reviews on there said they weren't good on gas mileage. I started out almost ready to buy a set of Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires, but the reviews on TireRack said the road noise is off the charts. I can't seem to find a tire that EVERYBODY likes.

For those of you that have replaced the tires on your Cruze, please let me know what you went with and why.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

At least on the OEM version of the Goodyear Fuel Max, they're no noisier than the Continental DWS's on our Fit. The OEM Goodyears on my Eco are almost worn down, and they're pretty quiet even with 4/32" of tread left. I liked them enough to get a second set. That set is in storage, waiting until the fall to go on.

If Michelin makes the Energy Saver A/S in your size, I'd go with a set of those. They're noticeably more efficient than other Michelin LRR tires.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

BOOOOST!
    I'm going on 40,000 miles with my Goodyear Fuel Max and as much as I dislike Goodyear I really can't complain about these tires. They still have 5/32" tread left which should last me until I put my snows on this winter. Maybe I play my radio too loud (usually on 17-18) but I don't notice any excessive road noise. Are they HP tires.....definately not, but I also don't drive this car to the limits so they have satisfied my needs just fine.

i put "goodyear assurance comfortred touring" tires on my cobalt and i cant say enough good things about them. the car rode soooo much better. they were great in rain and snow. i will be putting these on my cruze for sure
    eagleco likes this.

Retired Moderator

Another tire that got great marks is the Continental PureContact. I almost got these, but the OEM Goodyears were $300 cheaper in the size the Eco takes.

Between the Michelin Defenders and the Energy Saver A/S, the fuel economy nod goes to the A/S by a country mile.

The folks who were panning the Goodyear AFM for noise were also Honda owners. I've driven and ridden in enough late-model Hondas to know that they have about zero sound deadening, and that tire noise especially comes through loud and clear. Our Fit's OEM tires got loud enough where we needed to yell when we were sitting next to each other in the front seats. Quieter replacements were much appreciated. Searching by brand, Chevrolet and Toyota owners do not have the same noise complaints that Honda owners have.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Best tire for all the criteria you mensioned is the Michelin Primacy MXM4.

Thats it.
    ErikBEggs likes this.
    2012 Chevy Cruze RS Automatic.
    See Garage for details.

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Poje View Post
    Best tire for all the criteria you mensioned is the Michelin Primacy MXM4.

Thats it.
    With tread life above handling by 2 spots, I'd recommend the MXV4 over the MXM. The MXM is slightly more of a better-handling tire, but I got 70,000 miles out of a set of MXV's once. On top of that, they're quiet, comfortable, and...expensive.

A friend put Defenders on his Mazda3. The road noise is much quieter than the Yokohamas on it before, but the handling is ruined. It feels so wishy-washy.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Off-Road Champion

If MPG is your concern stick with the Fuel max or get Bridgestone Ecopias
    Nick
    USAF
    www.motorcityforums.com
    2011 Cruze Eco
    1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=9723
    In the recent past:
    2002 Trans Am WS6 346CI of unbridled fury! 469RWH/434RWTQ 11.01 @ 123MPH You will be missed!
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT 309WHP/357RWTQ 12.21 @ 113
    2000 Subaru Impreza RS 203WHP/201WTQ 14.2 @ 103

World Rally Champion
    Maybe I missed it but you never said if you have a 1LT, 2LT or LTZ. each come with different tires from the factory. I am going to assume you do not have a 1LT, since there is no way to get 53,000miles out of these Firestone Fr710.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

Retired Moderator

If most driving is highway-esque, it's possible to get long life out of tires. My OEM Goodyears are looking like they'll meet the rated lifespan in miles. Most of my driving is highway-esque, so I'm not surprised.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast