wandering at hwy speeds - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: wandering at hwy speeds

Banned
    I cannot believe that not ONE person mentioned the POSSIBILITY of defective tires! I had this VERY problem with my 1999 Chrysler 300M for 10 1/2 months until I took control of the issue. The dealer(s) started with the usual BS- it's the crown in the road. Sorry, I've been driving new cars since I was 16 and the same roads also and NEVER had a car that felt like someone was under the hood pulling the wheel to go left right into the Jersey barrier! Then, they started with alignments again and again, then tire rotations again and again, then replaced rack and pinion steering components- can't recall what else they tried. FINALLY, one day after months of this BS, I picked up the phone and called Goodyear Corporate Headquarters and explained my dilemma. I asked if I could bring my car to one of their authorized dealers and have them drive the car. They made the arrangements and told me that if the tires were defective, they would replace them. The tire dealer called me at work and said that the tires were defective and they were all being replaced! The steel belted treads had separated.

Drove the same roads after that- NO pulling, drifting etc. STRAIGHT as an arrow! Some problems can be resolved with "life experience".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20126spdRS View Post
    At least honda admits their issues and fixes them, GM has done nothing but throw a blanket over all the cruze issues. would i have been more happy? maybe... am i nearly completely unhappy with GM to this point? absolutly! i have been an exclusive GM buyer since my first car. maybe a ford woulda been better... who knows! im getting this POS paid off and sold as fast as possible.

i can assure you i will not buy another GM until they step up their game. sorry GM just another customer u dont give a sh*t about!
    You don't seem to want this problem fixed. You seem to want to vent and complain without actually doing anything to fix your issue, expecting GM to come kiss your feet and beg you for forgiveness to be in your good graces. I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

Issues are a part of buying a new car, especially one in the first couple of years of its production as a brand new model. My suspension makes popping noises while coming to a stop. I called up GM directly and had them deal with it. Apparently, they've redesigned the strut assembly and are in the process of manufacturing new stock to send to dealers. Does it suck? Sure, but as long as they cover it, I'm not complaining.

It could be the roads you're driving on, it could be the way the alignment was set up from the factory, and it could be a consequence of the below quoted thread. Whatever the issue is, until you make some effort on your part to get the issue resolved, you won't get anywhere.

OE Goodyear tires are such garbage that I can't wait to get rid of mine. I won't go out of my way to replace them till they're worn down though. I certainly wouldn't put it out of the question for the tires to be bad.

However, what problem is there to admit to? There are plenty of people who don't have this issue. I don't have this issue. Sure, the electric steering is a bit sensitive when I'm on the road going over 60mph, but the car acts no differently otherwise than any other car I've driven. Its different from my 95 Regal and my 2000 Regal, but its not broken. If yours pulls to a direction and you're not even driving on the left lane, perhaps you should call GM and Goodyear just as the person below did because there's clearly something wrong. If it is the tires that are at fault, you would be in the exact same boat as if you had bought these tires yourself and they weren't on the car from the factory. That puts absolutely no blame on GM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastdriver View Post
    I cannot believe that not ONE person mentioned the POSSIBILITY of defective tires! I had this VERY problem with my 1999 Chrysler 300M for 10 1/2 months until I took control of the issue. The dealer(s) started with the usual BS- it's the crown in the road. Sorry, I've been driving new cars since I was 16 and the same roads also and NEVER had a car that felt like someone was under the hood pulling the wheel to go left right into the Jersey barrier! Then, they started with alignments again and again, then tire rotations again and again, then replaced rack and pinion steering components- can't recall what else they tried. FINALLY, one day after months of this BS, I picked up the phone and called Goodyear Corporate Headquarters and explained my dilemma. I asked if I could bring my car to one of their authorized dealers and have them drive the car. They made the arrangements and told me that if the tires were defective, they would replace them. The tire dealer called me at work and said that the tires were defective and they were all being replaced! The steel belted treads had separated.

Drove the same roads after that- NO pulling, drifting etc. STRAIGHT as an arrow! Some problems can be resolved with "life experience".
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Banned
    ONE other note- back in 1999, the tires were guaranteed by the tire company and not Chrysler. That said, NONE of the 3 "award winning 5-STAR" dealers ever suggested that MAYBE the tires were defective. Now that I think of it, 13 years later LOL..., why would they when they could continue to do warranty work and get reimbursed by Chrysler. I did find out from someone working at Chrysler in Auburn Hills, MI that they paid out about $3,600+ in warranty work on that lemon for the 3 years, 35,000 miles that I had the car!

Not sure if the tire companies are still responsible for tires. I have NEVER had that problem again since 1999.

Learning about my Cruze
    are you sure there is no wind? there is always a crosswind in kansas...

Learning about my Cruze
    I have the same issue with my 2013 1LT RS. The dealer found that the left side was toe'd out 0.1 degrees and reset the toe to specs. It did not cure the issue. I think the electric steering is too sensitive at dead center so that breathing on the steering wheel on the highway causes the car to wander. Back to the dealer to ask more questions.

DMC
    Learning about my Cruze
    I noticed this when I first got my Cruze. I think part of it was that I drove a minivan before, and was used to making a lot of small, quick adjustments on the steering wheel. The Cruze's steering is a lot quicker, and the EPS is a lot more sensitive than the hydraulic PS on my old van. You can feel the EPS giving the wheel a nudge when you move it quickly. My preference would be for less power assist at highway speed, but since that's apparently not possible, I tried adjusting my driving style. Once I got used to using less pressure on the steering wheel and moving my hands slower, it got a lot better. After 4,000 miles as of today, I don't notice it so much.
    2012 Cruze Eco

Learning about my Cruze
    I noticed my car new car pulling at first and it ended up being my tire pressure. One of the front tires was different by 2psi.

U Need to buy Michelins

I too had that feeling when driving on the OE Goodyear tires (Good name for them cuz they're only good for a year! LOL) and made me even more nervous when roads were wet, or heaven forbid when there was snow! I pretty much noticed that problem disappear after I replaced the OE tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires w/service description 94H (do NOT buy Defenders!). The difference is like night and day, and I've also noticed that the cruise control doesn't turn off going around bumpy curves in the road or speeding down Interstate on-ramps due to the traction/stability control taking over. I feel much safer in the car in wet & snowy weather conditions now as well, and when my kids are in the car, that's what matters to me most!
    Last edited by spaycace; 12-07-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD Traded in for 2014 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos pushin' 680 ponies to the wheels!

Autocross Champion
    I have 30,000 miles on my car right now and I cannot wait to get rid of these crappy Goodyear tires. I absolutely am going to throw on a set of Michelin tires. In the meantime I have my tire pressure set at 40 psi and my Cruze Eco drives very nicely.

Sent from my DROID3
    Missing our 1st generation Aveos everyday!
    02 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
    04 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan (Sold but not forgotten!)
    07 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Hatchback (Sold but not forgotten!)
    12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6MT
    12 Chevrolet Sonic 2LT (wifes new car)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    I too had that feeling when driving on the OE Goodyear tires (Good name for them cuz they're only good for a year! LOL) and made me even more nervous when roads were wet, or heaven forbid when there was snow! I pretty much noticed that problem disappear after I replaced the OE tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires w/service description 94H (do NOT buy Defenders!). The difference is like night and day, and I've also noticed that the cruise control doesn't turn off going around bumpy curves in the road or speeding down Interstate on-ramps due to the traction/stability control taking over. I feel much safer in the car in wet & snowy weather conditions now as well, and when my kids are in the car, that's what matters to me most!
    Thank you - I might actually try these Michelins. I have had nothing but poor handling in snow/ice with Michelins when compared to Bridgestones. I'm still on my OEM Goodyears and I'm starting to get the notch when I lane correct in the afternoons. I don't get it in the mornings when it's colder out, which really makes me think it's the tires. Are the Primacy MXV4s LRR tires? Off to get a tire rotation today to see if that helps.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast