2012 TPMS relearn
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2012 TPMS relearn

2012 TPMS relearn

So i searched, and most are saying for the 2012 you have to buy this EL-50448 tool, anyone find a way around this?

My 2011 will do it using the deflate learning process, my 2012 don't.
    HIS 2012 Topaz Blue LT 1.4T 6 spd Auto

HERS 2011 Crystal Red LT 1.4T 6 spd Auto

OUR Weekend Warrior 95 12V Dodge ram Cummins Diesel

Our HOG 2014 Street Glide 103" motor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    I rotated the tires on my 2012 yesterday and tried the deflate learning procedure. It didn't work on my car. I really didn't expect it to work but I gave it a try anyhow. I went on the internet and it seems as though the EL-50448 tool is the lowest cost option to reset it yourself. I almost ordered one. Then I came to my senses! What did I do before the TPMS system? I checked the tire pressure every month or so. Now the TPMS system will alert me if a tire is low. That's a good thing. It just won't tell me exactly which tire is low. No big deal. If I forgot how I rotated the tires, just check them all as I did a few years ago.

I had a Hyundai with a TPMS system. It didn't identify the specific tire that was low. Just that one of the tires were low. Basically no different than the Cruze without the correct pairing.
    jdubb11 likes this.

ive wondered why people are worried about those sensors. if the car alerts you get out and look at ALL four tires and i bet u can tell which tire is low
    spacedout and Patman like this.

Administrator

Until I got my first Cruze, my TPMS only worked once a month on Saturday morning.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

To reset TPMS
    1. Remove ALL four of the plastic tire valve caps before you get started.
    2. Use the owner's manual instructions on how to get to the TPMS screen on the DIC
    3. Start letting air out with front driver tire valve. Horn will sound when sensor detected
    4. Next procede to front passenger tire valve. Again horn will sound when sensor det.
    5. Procede down side of car to rear passenger tire valve and deflate. Again horn will sound when sensor det.
    6. Go around rear of car to driver side rear tire and repeat above. Horn will sound.

Once this is done re-inflate tires starting with the tire whose PSI reading is flashing on the DIC. Reinflate the next tire with the flashing PSI indicator and so on.

Worked first time for me.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

Administrator

Unfortunatly GM decided that at some point in the 2012 model firmware build this needed to be removed. It appears all the 2011s work with the tire deflation method and some 2012s do as well.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Retired Moderator

It works on my 2012 built August 2011.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jdubb11 View Post
    ive wondered why people are worried about those sensors. if the car alerts you get out and look at ALL four tires and i bet u can tell which tire is low
    My 2002 -2004 Aleros had a TPMS system that had nothing to do with knowing which wheel caused the problem. it just alerted you to a problem and you had to actually get out of the car and determine which one(s) were causing the problem. FWIW manually checking tire pressure is the best way of doing things. Just use the TPMS as a guide to let you know if there is a problem or not!
    jdubb11 likes this.

4th Gear
    Even on a 2011 there can be problems. I attempted to retrain mine and the first tire worked but the second tire didn't get a horn beep and when I looked at the dash I had a message saying to service the tpms. I took it to the dealer and they reset it with the tool no problem.

The reason GM changed is there can be interference if there's another GM car parked nearby. My 2010 GMC pickup was only a few feet away when I tried the air deflation procedure and I guess that created the problem.

I just found out my 2012 Eco does not do the pressure drop thing! Guess I will just have to check to make sure it the pressure is good. unless I buy the EL 50448. But I doubt I will. I just did my first change and rotation for my 2012. Kinda difficult to get the jack under the front of the eco with the air dam! Even harder with the 16 inch spare on the car! Even for the side of the car!.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast