Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How-To: Cruze Oil Change - 1.4T

389K views 304 replies 155 participants last post by  jhiggzz 
#1 ·
I was able to get my break-in oil change done today and took some pics. If anyone is interested i have a ppt and pdf copy too.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Heck no, I don't mind. That was the whole point! I know many of the new Cruze owners have not gotten a chance to look under her skirt yet so I thought I'd help a little bit. It is easy when you know how!

And If someone has something they would like to add, let me know. If I can add it to the current ppt file I will. If it needs new pics and descriptions I will put them in too. It is open source as far as I'm concerned.

#286 ·
Hi there, TSUR. So, here's the story, I am an Army wife, and the husband is away and my Cruze needs an oil change. Its not the first one (which was done in the states by the dealer) and I just bought the oil and filter so I was wondering if you could possibly email me those files you mentioned in your first post? I realize the original post is several years old, but I could really use your instructions, so I can do the oil change myself! Thanks in advance!

#10 ·
It didnt seem to be. I did not notice any magnetic tension on the plug when removing it from the socket. However, my hands were pretty darn cold and I couldnt feel much.
Some of the pics are a little blurry. Probably from my hands shivering and the fact that I was just using my phone. I got it done though, for my Cruze friends!

#12 ·
Oil change Monitor - reset

Chapter 10, Page 12. Oil Life % monitor reset directions are located here in the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze owners manual. If your owners manual is in the glove box, remember you can read the manual page by page at the Chevrolet.com web site, under the "Owners" column.

#17 ·
I just did my first oil change at 2,816 miles using OP's instructions and pictures - it worked perfectly. The hardest part was buying the 24 mm socket and the proper extension, since it wasn't part of my toolset. I do recommend that you use a funnel when draining the oil, - it rushed out really fast, and the funnel saved my panel from getting drenched.

Thank you TSURacing!!!! You rock!!

This post has been deleted
#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, sir! I just ordered some 2 weeks ago for my new Cruze. I just wish they sold the filters like they do for other cars.

2011 CHEVROLET CRUZE best motor oil change air filter recommended

I have 2 friends who also have this new car and just bought some the other day. I love this car. Chevrolet is finally putting out some nice cars. I had some family members who were die hard Toyota owners finally make the switch. I love this new turbo engine.

#30 ·
Yeah, it's similar to the old Ecotec engines. With the old Cavaliers, Saturn, Malibu, etc. that has the 2.2L or 2.4L, you can change those filters in a couple of minutes. I remember one that had either the turbo or super charger, it made it a REAL pain to remove. It's like you had to remove the super charger just to get access to the oil filter. I don't know why they would design an engine so hard to maintain.

On that same site they have a photo of the 2.2 Ecotec that has a picture of how easy it is to remove the old oil filter:

2006 SATURN ION best motor oil change air filter recommended

A friend of mine had that same thing and I helped him change the filter. I've never seen an oil filter so easy to remove. Now only that, there was virtually no mess. That thing came out so easy and all of the dirty oil dripped back into the engine block.

I know some of those Amsoil oil filters are nice to go 25,000 miles and all, but I would trade all of those long oil change intervals for some super easy oil filters to get access to such as those Wix. Plus they were so cheap compared to a $13-18 dollar Amsoil oil filter. GM needs to make more engines like this. I had another friend of mine who had a 2007 Saturn Vue hybrid. That was a pain to remove the oil filter because the manifold was in the way. We had to get a special socket to fit that would fit in there.

I hate those engines where the oil filter is on the back of the engine block. When you remove the oil filter, oil spills all over the place and you have to end up wiping up a huge mess from yourself, the engine and all of the components of the car that the oil spilled all over.

I am so glad GM is finally stepping up to the plate and taking care of business again. Finally something positive after all of the dust settled. They did a great job at designing the Cruze. My hats off to them.

#39 ·
never heard of it. ever. that's a first. honest. I've never heard anyone at our shop (all we run is diesels), those that i know who own, or the general TDI Club discussions say anything about De-Smoking Fluid.

#40 ·
"Burping" oil stream..........

TSUracing, when you mentioned in your oil change presentation that the oil would "burp" when the drain plug is removed....I don't recall ever seeing that happen. Yesterday I serviced our cruze and just as soon as the plug was removed I remembered your comment and suggestion to vent the crankcase by removing oil fill cap or at least pulling up on the dipstick a little. It is strange to see the oil stream burp like that. I wonder what this engine is using for a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system? Interesting! Thanks again for your picture guide to the 1.4 oil change. Nice Job! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.