DIY re-gap factory spark plugs - Page 21
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: DIY re-gap factory spark plugs

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Its the 1.4L
    You must have had some really bad throttle lag and hesitation before this, especially with A/C on.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    You must have had some really bad throttle lag and hesitation before this, especially with A/C on.
    It would lag a bit but I thought it was normal, coming from daily driving my Trans Am or Avalanche it just struck me as it being normal. I did the resonator delete a week ago and it felt better but it should be a little better now!
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 1.4L Auto- Intake resonator delete, K&N Drop in, VG Sharkfin, Carbon Fiber overlays on all gold emblems, Tint, and waiting on the wife's permission for more mods...
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 M6- A little bit here and there...

Administrator

Just got back in from doing this and WOW! The sparkplugs were at like .018-.022! I set them all at .035 and the loud ticking at engine startup went down quite a bit, maybe I'm just delusional on that but I'm sure it'll have better response now.

I was also surprised that it had NGK's as opposed to a bosch set, I was happy about that as I like to run NGK's in my other vehicles too.
    Its the 1.4L
    I'm surprised your car even accelerated in the summer heat. I wonder if the ticking sound you were hearing was the car trying to figure out the timing needed to keep the cylinders firing consistently. Inconsistent plug gaps are worse than too small gaps. Inconsistent and too small will give the ECU fits.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    I'm surprised your car even accelerated in the summer heat. I wonder if the ticking sound you were hearing was the car trying to figure out the timing needed to keep the cylinders firing consistently. Inconsistent plug gaps are worse than too small gaps. Inconsistent and too small will give the ECU fits.
    I just got it 15 days ago, barely has 1300 miles (most are due to the 700 mile trip from my hometown) so it hasn't gone through summer heat yet. At first I just thought it was noisy injectors but I think the plugs were adding to this noise
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 1.4L Auto- Intake resonator delete, K&N Drop in, VG Sharkfin, Carbon Fiber overlays on all gold emblems, Tint, and waiting on the wife's permission for more mods...

Administrator

The lifters do make some noise when sitting at idle. This is normal and makes the car sound kind of like it's dieseling. You could be hearing that as well.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin

Administrator

I just got it 15 days ago, barely has 1300 miles (most are due to the 700 mile trip from my hometown) so it hasn't gone through summer heat yet. At first I just thought it was noisy injectors but I think the plugs were adding to this noise
    When you hit summer, don't bother with 87 octane. You'll definitely want 89 (Kansas flat) or 91/93 octane. The 1.4T engine runs that much better on the higher octane. Search around here for threads on octane and you'll see why.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    When you hit summer, don't bother with 87 octane. You'll definitely want 89 (Kansas flat) or 91/93 octane. The 1.4T engine runs that much better on the higher octane. Search around here for threads on octane and you'll see why.
    I read a bit on it, I don't like to run lower octane on my vehicles anyways so that wont be a problem (hopefully) thanks for the advice though! The more I can learn about these cars the better off I'll be

I just did this as well on my 2011 Eco with 15k on it. The plugs were all at .026 except one, which was at .028. Re-gapped to .035ish (had two different gapping tools and they were about .003 off from each other).
    Chicks dig beta.

2011 Cruze Eco M6

.: Mods :.
    :: Injen Cold Air Intake :: ScanGauge II :: Camaro PDIM :: Cobra 75WXST :: Buick Verano Splash Shield :: Buick Verano Dome Light :: 15.6 gal Tank Mod :: Factory Fog Lights ::
    :: ZZP Performance Dual Gauge Pod (w/ Glowshift Boost & Oil Press) ::

Learning about my Cruze speedy862004's Avatar
    Mine were all around .020. The job overall was very simple. Way to go GM for making this Cruze (as far as I've seen) simple, but boo that I have to do this to begin with. The hardest part was getting them to the correct gap without going over. Took it for a quick trip down the road, and after warm up, I punched it. Seemed to me to accelerate faster, could be just a psychological trick out from thinking I did my engine more justice than I really did it.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

Learning about my Cruze speedy862004's Avatar
    I thought 35 was the optimal for a passenger car for tire pressure. Why is yours at 44?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast