cruze winter driving
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: cruze winter driving

Handbrake Released

cruze winter driving

winter is coming up in a few months and i know a lot of us would prefer to drive the cruze all year round. so i found this video of someone from europe driving his cruze in really cold weather. from what i was able to see the car handles fine in the snow. also he is running winter tires on his cruze and not all-seasons.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSgJbQ06vNg&NR[/ame]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    It somewhat shows how driveable the Cruze is in the snow. But I want to see how good it'll grip a tight corner in the snow.

Anybody got any good winter driving tips for safe upcoming winter "Cruzing"? Especially tips for those Cruze owners with an A/T as far as maybe using the manumatic to have better control of the car's speed, traction, and gearing when driving in wintery conditions? Which gears should be used when going up and down snowy/icy mountains/hills and should A/T owners let the car do the shifting or take control and use the manumatic shifting? When should the CC and TC be cut on and off when winter driving?

Super Moderator

Leave the traction control on except when wheelspin is wanted. If there's a hint of snow on the road, turn the cruise control off so the computer doesn't make a front wheel do a 1-wheel wonder if it hits a patch of snow/ice. If it's ice, slow way down and expect the traction control and ABS to kick in constantly. All-seasons on ice are an awful combination.

Starting in 2nd gear is doable when traction is low. I do that regularly with my MT Cruze since 1st is super-short. And, downshift a little bit on bad downhill stretches, but don't over-do it. Slowing the drive wheels too much can cause them to lose traction, making the car far more likely to swap ends.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    Leave the traction control on except when wheelspin is wanted. If there's a hint of snow on the road, turn the cruise control off so the computer doesn't make a front wheel do a 1-wheel wonder if it hits a patch of snow/ice. If it's ice, slow way down and expect the traction control and ABS to kick in constantly. All-seasons on ice are an awful combination.

Starting in 2nd gear is doable when traction is low. I do that regularly with my MT Cruze since 1st is super-short. And, downshift a little bit on bad downhill stretches, but don't over-do it. Slowing the drive wheels too much can cause them to lose traction, making the car far more likely to swap ends.
    Last year we did not have any snow so I am curious of how the Cruze does in snow. Driving the manual transmission makes the drive a little easier, since engine braking helps a lot and the car will not roll away from you. Most cars I have driven with 16 + in tires have no problems with getting stuck in the snow. I am interested more in the handling.

Administrator

Smooth - one word answer to driving in the snow. The Cruze handles reasonably well in snow. If you are in an area that gets wet snow, get snow tires. Otherwise your stock M+S tires will probably be sufficient. For the first storm, watch out for all the 4WD SUVs sliding into the ditch. If you have and ECO, the belly pans will act like a pair of plastic sleds and prevent snow from bunching up between the front and rear tires, which actually helps in slightly deeper snow. Most cars that get stuck are high centered and the ECO's belly pans reduce the ability of the snow to high center the car.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

The Tune actually may worry me slightly in the snow. I can't really start from second gear, because engaging manual mode will engage 22psi power.. LOL. I've never had any trouble with FWD cars in the snow even with all seasons so it should be ok. My apartment sits on a major arterial that gets plowed first. Maybe we should get a winter pic thread

+ 1 again on a winter pic thread!

Off-Road Champion
    I also plan on testing cornering/manuverability with rated tire pressures vs. extreme pressures(45-50psi), but I'm still waiting for PA's first snow..

With six gears in the tranny, I will be the first to say if there is snow on the road, I will never use 6th. You should always be 1 gear under typical so engine braking is available at the release of the gas pedal, if that makes sense.

I'd imagine with our cars' wheelbase and weight, they should do just find in the snow. This is my Cruze's first winter, and I'm very anxious to see how she does.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
    The Tune actually may worry me slightly in the snow. I can't really start from second gear, because engaging manual mode will engage 22psi power.. LOL. I've never had any trouble with FWD cars in the snow even with all seasons so it should be ok. My apartment sits on a major arterial that gets plowed first. Maybe we should get a winter pic thread
    Remove the tune for winter.

I'm thinging about doing the same, especially if it's going to be as bad as they say it is this winter.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast