How to Adjust Rear Drum Brakes
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: How to Adjust Rear Drum Brakes

Administrator

Go back to COMG-The Cruze Owner's Maintenance Guide

This writeup was inspired by this thread:

Brake catching sound ?

Why do my Cruze's drum brakes need adjusting?

The Cruze's drums are not adjusted very well from the factory. I believe the word "horrible" would describe it well. XtremeAaron and I had run into an issue where the brakes would create an audible and repetitive noise based on the rotation of the wheel when coming to a stop. The reason for this noise is that the brakes were only engaging during those noises, indicating that they were not adjusted correctly and were not even being used in most braking conditions to stop the car. They were only touching enough to create those noises.

Adjustment of drum brakes is very important for safe braking and stability. I highly recommend that anyone with a Cruze LS, 1LT, and ECO adjust their drum brakes.

This writeup will explain how to adjust these brakes.

Tools needed:

- Jack
    - Jackstand
    - Flathead screwdriver
    - T30 Torx wrench/bit
    - Lugnut removal tool

How-To:

To start, lift the car off the ground. Be sure that you have a jackstand as well as a jack. A jack is only intended to lift a car, not to hold the car up. This will need to be done on completely level ground as the parking brake will need to be disengaged this whole time. You will need to block off the front wheels to make 100% sure that the car doesn't roll). I simply left the car in 1st gear, but if you do this, be sure to take the car out of gear before starting it.

Once you get it off, you'll see something similar to this:

Using the T30 Torx bit/wrench, remove the screw that holds the drum in place:

Once the screw is removed, the drum should slide right off. If it doesn't, lightly wedge it with a flathead screwdriver in varying locations.

Once you get it off, you'll see the hydraulic piston and below it, the adjustment mechanism:

The adjustment mechanism pushes the brake shoes outward when the the adjustment nut is turned upward. I used a flathead screwdriver to turn it. It will only turn in one direction unless you pull back the locking plate.

On my Eco, I had to rotate the adjustment nut at least 7 clicks. Your needs may vary, so I would start at 2-4 clicks. Once you have made the adjustment, put the drum back on, making sure to line up the screw hole:

Lightly tighten the screw that goes in that hole, and spin the drum by hand. If you feel absolutely no resistance from the brake shoes, remove it and turn the adjustment nut a few more clicks. Repeat this procedure until you feel a small amount of resistance. You should still be able to turn the drum by hand without a whole lot of force. A small bit of resistance is fine, but if it's difficult to turn by hand, you adjusted it too far and will need to turn the adjustment nut in the other direction. To do so, you will need to lift the lock plate. You can do this either by lifting it directly, or pressing down on the opposite end of it.

Once you have a good adjustment, tighten the T30 screw. I highly recommend anti-sieze lubricant on the T30 screw that holds the brake drum. Place the wheel back on, lower the car, and repeat this procedure for the other wheel. Once all sides are done, take the car out for a drive.

If you hear the brakes rubbing while coasting, perform a few very hard stops from at least 40mph. If the rubbing noise does not stop, you've adjusted the brakes too far and will need to go back a few clicks.

Observations:

After adjusting my drum brakes, I noticed vastly improved braking performance and brake pedal feel. The car exhibited significantly less nosedive during harder braking, and felt much more confident and secure while coming to a stop. Engaging the handbrake was also more secure and required less actual height on the hand brake lever. The previously heard brake noise is also now completely gone.
    Last edited by iKermit; 12-20-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    spacedout, Patman, Starks8 and 9 others like this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I told you a clean & adjust would take care of that noise.
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Handbrake Released
    Great post Xtreme. Thanks. I was wondering about the screw.

Great write up! Thanks for the tips.

Super Moderator

Glad your noise went away!
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
    I told you a clean & adjust would take care of that noise.
    You did indeed! Thanks for that!

I figured this writeup would be necessary as I'm sure more people will run into this problem and it's not always convenient to drive 30+ miles to the dealer for something one can do in 1.5 hours no matter how mechanically un-savvy one might be.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Administrator

The guys at Discount Tire told me that whenever you have a wheel off you should polish the surface of the drum to keep the wheel from coming lose from an uneven surface between the inside of the wheel and the drum.

Thanks for this. I think my drums were adjusted when I had my handbrake adjusted. My overall braking improved after that adjustment.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Xtreme Thanks for the write up I'll do this right now!
    2011 Chevy Cruze LS 6 speed Manual

Current Mods
    Trifecta Tuned, Header / Downpipe, Injen Black SRI with a K&N Filter, Magnaflow Resonator w/2.25 straight pipes, Custom LED Headlights and Taillights, Big Three Grounding Kit, Painted roof (Black), Interior LED lights, Z-spec grille.

I have described the adjustment of the parking brake a while ago….
    It is true, you added excellent details!

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-che...html#post42089

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUISE-CRUZE View Post
    I have described the adjustment of the parking brake a while ago….
    It is true, you added excellent details!

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-che...html#post42089
    Nice! I didn't even notice that, lol. Well, at least we have a dedicated how-to for it now that we can point people to when they come in complaining about the "brake catching" noise.

Hi5 for taking pictures as well.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast