How-To Remove your front & back seats.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Smurfenstein
  • 1 Post By Smurfenstein

Thread: How-To Remove your front & back seats.

How-To Remove your front & back seats.

Ok, so after taking my seats out of my car TWICE now, I have enough pictures to write up this How-To thread for anyone else out there that either wants to shed a few pounds, or simply re-upholster their seats like I did to mine. Also, since I'm in a good mood today, I'm going to take more pictures tonight, and update this thread with instructions for removing your seat covers.

Tools:
    - Wrench(s) [15mm and 3/4"]
    - T-50 Tork/Torx 6 star socket bit
    - Flat head screwdriver

Back Seats

Step 1:

First thing to do is to remove the mat in the trunk by pulling up on the tab. This will allow better access to the bracket the attaches the tops of the back seats the the frame.

IMAG0300.jpgIMAG0301.jpg
    Step 2:

Now onto the bottom of the back seats. Simply grab onto the front of the seats near the middle of the passenger & driver's side seat, and pull up to disengage two clips. Then, push the seat towards the trunk to un hook the back, and pull the bottom of your seats out of the car.

IMAG0302.jpgIMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpgIMAG0305.jpg
    Step 3:

With the bottom of the seats out, its time to move onto the bracket. There are three bolts that hold this bracket in place, and they are hard to get to, so a wrench is needed. Use your 15mm wrench to remove the washers, and then pull the bracket up to get it off of the three screws that point up from the frame of the car.

IMAG0307.jpgIMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0331.jpg
    Last edited by Smurfenstein; 04-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    spacedout likes this.

Vinyl Overlays / Vinyl Decals \ Vinyl Wraps

2012 "Black Widow" Cruze - Sponsored by Mixxed Auto Design

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Step 3:

With the bracket loose, lay the tops of the back seats down. Then, grab the lower corners where the seats and bracket meet, and pull them towards the front of the car. Once you've gone as far as it will let you, pull the seats directly up, and the rod connecting the two seats together should come out, separating the 60/40. If this does not happen on the first try, don't worry, just keep trying, and wiggling it around until it comes free.

IMAG0310.jpgIMAG0332.jpg

Step 4:

Now that you have the seats separated, you need to remove the rods that connect them to the sides of the car. Now, on these rods, there is a washer and a spring that keep it from coming lose randomly. So, carefully use a flat head screwdriver to push the washer back, and then pull the seat up and out of the bracket. This is by far, the most difficult thing to do, and its easier if you have a friend to help you, and if you're having trouble, stop, cool off, and then try again. Rushing this step wont do any good and the seat wont budge just because of a little rage.

IMAG0315.jpg

Step 5:

Once you've removed both seats from their side brackets, you have to use a 3/4" wrench or socket to remove the seat belts attached to the floor & the one attached the the larger back seat. After this, remove the fabric, and you're done!

IMAG0317.jpgIMAG0320.jpgIMAG0322.jpgIMAG0323.jpg
    Last edited by Smurfenstein; 04-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.

EDIT: ATM, I cant un-bolt my front seats. Apparently, when putting them back in after re-upholstering them, I may have torqued them a little too much, and with a short, stubby rachet I cant get the leverage, and if I continue I'm going to strip the bolt. Sometime next week I'll try again with a drill and see if I can get it loose, in which case I'll edit this post with the write up.

Until then, if you need any info you can PM me directly and I'll walk you through it using words.
    Last edited by Smurfenstein; 04-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    omieboy likes this.

Driver's Ed
    Hi everyone.

Could someone advise me about a matter with the removal of the lower part of the back seat?

I could remove the lower part of the back seat of my Cruze just by pulling (mere muscle like it says in one of the threads because it is quite hard), but one of the plastic retainers (the one on the right) came out stuck to the seat´s little 'u' metal insert/support. Is that a problem or do I just shove it back with pressure or do I need to get another plastic retainer?

Really, this part of the car really should have had a better design because this lower part of the back seat is quite difficult to pop out .

Thanks a lot for your comments

Aesop
    Haven't tried to remove the lower back seat yet on the Cruze, but sure sounds like those metal clips on my 04 Cavalier. In theory at least, those metal clips are suppose to stay in rectangular hole. It has tabs that fit both above and below those edges front an back. The lower ones were bend straight down. Can remove that clip from the seat bottom by spreading it. Straighten out those tabs, bend that "U" outward for more tension, then gently squeeze it so those tabs sit on both the bottom and the top.

These tabs seem to lack spring tension for an outward force, so may take a second try, they have to be in tight. Also helps to coat that tab under the seats with grease, so they are easier to get them out the second time.

Ever mention I hate Torx? Really have to put a lot of downward force so you won't strip out these darn things. Seats can be moved forward enough to use an impact wrench with minimum air pressure. I actually have a Made In the USA 1/2" drive impact wrench, has a knob on it where you can turn it in to complete stop the air flow, with other hand, can turn that knob outward slowly to start the impact operation just enough to get that bolt turning. Haven't seen a wrench like that from all this crap Made In China.

See you didn't get that far, but sure would look into the proper way to disable those air bags first. Typically, that capacitor has to be found and slowly discharged with a resistor after removing the negative cable from the battery. If you just pull on the connector, could get a transient that will trigger that bag.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements