Christmas time means train time!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Christmas time means train time!

Christmas time means train time!

Just dusted off my fathers 1958 Lionel Texas Special 210. Still runs!

Last edited by giantsnation; 12-01-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added video player
    Katee228, Sunline Fan and kfr291 like this.

Contest Manager
    That's one thing I miss when I was 5.
    My grandfather would always have a train that was on a platform that did laps around the bottom of the Christmas tree.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Now that i have son (5 months old!) we can enjoy it together. I was going to put it under the tree but was nervous about fires and stuff.

I loved the train I had when I was little, the biggest issue was finding D batteries to run the lights in the passenger cars. That and I had a habit of running it full speed so it'd derail on the corners

I'm glad to see there's some train enthusiasts around here! I've never been really into it, but it has been a special part of Christmas for a while, and I did play with them a lot more when I was younger. I had/have a train board in the basement (though it's stored in the ceiling now to save space), and I used to put the big plastic thing around the tree, but eventually I just went Lionel. A couple years I did it up big, with switches and everything. You should be OK on carpet with O gauge track- the O-27 is a little dangerous and difficult on thick carpet. I finally bit the bullet and got some of the new style track though, which is completely sealed with plastic.

I've got quite a bit of newer stuff (as in from my lifetime), but I have a lot of postwar too. The postwar is really my favorite- everything is heavy duty and high quality. I've got my dad and uncle's trains from when they were kids (circa 1956/57) and they are in great shape even after kids played with them. I can only hope mine are as good in 50 years.

Here's my newer Polar Express set around the tree last year. I can certainly run the postwar on this track, but I usually leave the newer ones down on the floor during the Christmas season in case they get kicked (it's easier to get parts for those).

Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

guys, i have been having a crap few days, this made me smile... i love christmas trains... mine hs not been out in a few years. i forget how old the one my father gave is, but my grandfather gave it to him and he then repainted it.... although i do not like the newer trains as much, i still run trains that were made mostly pre 1995
    Sunline Fan likes this.

does any one do train spotting.... actually going to the tracks and watching trains go through?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
    Now that i have son (5 months old!) we can enjoy it together. I was going to put it under the tree but was nervous about fires and stuff.
    Put the tree in the playpen.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Off-Road Champion
    I have a mixed bag of O stuff under the tree for the grandkids to play with. I have an MTH Proto 2 steam engine (better sounds and smoke), but the train is made up of my old 1950s operating cars and a caboose from a 1976 centenial set. Track is an oval of FastTrack for reliability and ceanliness. I don't worry about breakage, it's easy to get parts even for the operating milk car (a kid favorite).
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    13,600 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    21 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    30,871 July '14 YTD

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kfr291 View Post
    does any one do train spotting.... actually going to the tracks and watching trains go through?
    Please do not do this. We as engineers cannot stand it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast