Windows 8 - do you like or hate it? - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Windows 8 - do you like or hate it?

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    I cant stand the fact that XP is still used...think about this, the average speed of computers when XP came out was 333mhz-533mhz (single core at that). Napster was still a thing. AOL was still used and you'd still get the disks in the mail. Clippy died shortly after. Hewlett Packard didn't own Compaq yet.

I understand why people still use it, but man, its old (technology-wise)
    We use it at work still in the federal government...haha. It was just a great OS. Dated now, though, with its bad multicore support and 32 bit architecture.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
    I just did a win8 upgrade to a older Compaq laptop that we have. Specs on it were barely enough to run Vista so that's why I upgraded.

Win8 takes a little getting used to but overall, it's the best Windows yet. A lot of improvements have been done in areas that the normal user doesn't see. More secure, smaller footprint etc.
    Are you using it like 7 would be or in the tabs format? How is it speed-wise on an old computer?

2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

World Rally Champion
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 12-13-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

I just got Win8 on a new work computer. I do like how fast it is, but boy do I hate it wanting to go to the start screen all the time. That and the location of the shut down button are the only things I don't like about it. But hey, the shut down button location never has been a Windows strong point.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

Administrator

XP is still heavily used for a couple of reasons. First, and most importantly - XP just works. The second major reason is XP supports a lot of older hardware that has never had rewriiten device drivers required for Vista and 7. Does anyone know if 8 uses the same driver model as Vista and 7?

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

I love Windows 8. I have it running on my big laptop and on a Dell Inspiron Duo. It's more fun to use on the Dell tablet but the speed of the OS once you learn all the tricks and shortcuts can't be beat. Downloading the mutli-touch drivers for the touchpad makes a world of difference too if you don't have touchscreen.
    rmass09 likes this.

World Rally Champion
    Uh, all that speed is from the faster/higher clock speed, NOT from MS coding, because jello doesn't wiggle faster when there's more of it!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    Uh, all that speed is from the faster/higher clock speed, NOT from MS coding, because jello doesn't wiggle faster when there's more of it!
    You can throw all the clock speed in the world at Vista and it'll still be slower than the same computer running 7. They may have made improvements with 8 to let it run on lesser hardware like tablets and phones.

I heard they did away with Aero somewhere. I like Aero.

The slowest part of the computer is going out to the hard disk to find data. Microsoft finally realized this and developed code to pre-load stuff you use into memory and reduce the overhead that fills up your quick-to-access RAM. That's why XR mentions that SSD drives make a huge improvement in system speed. They're just not horribly cost effective for storage space. I'd love to have one in a desktop as a system drive though. Too bad I dislike desktops these days.

Last edited by jblackburn; 12-13-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    What clock speed? The clock speed of the processor?
    Chris
    2012 Cruze ECO 6MT Crystal Red Tintcoat
    K&N SRI, DeBadged, Trifecta budget tune, ZZP downpipe, ZZP catted midpipe, muffler delete
    Currently installing a Car PC ===> http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/94-cr...mance-etc.html
    2006 Trailblazer SS LS2 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    You can throw all the clock speed in the world at Vista and it'll still be slower than the same computer running 7. They may have made improvements with 8 to let it run on lesser hardware like tablets and phones.

I heard they did away with Aero somewhere. I like Aero.

Exactly. Windows 7 on my Inspiron Duo was horrible. Windows 8 completely woke the machine up and made it usable. Aero is gone but I think aero wouldn't have looked correct with all the "modern" ui throughout the os.
    Chris
    2012 Cruze ECO 6MT Crystal Red Tintcoat
    K&N SRI, DeBadged, Trifecta budget tune, ZZP downpipe, ZZP catted midpipe, muffler delete
    Currently installing a Car PC ===> http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/94-cr...mance-etc.html
    2006 Trailblazer SS LS2 (Sold)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast