Windows 8 - do you like or hate it?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Windows 8 - do you like or hate it?

Resident Tater Salad

Windows 8 - do you like or hate it?

I've got a computer currently running Vista that's just all kinds of messed up. I'm going to wipe it clean and re-do everything, but I'm torn between sticking with Vista (this computer actually ran surprisingly well with Vista, as much as I hate the OS), upgrading to 7 (I love 7 - have it on my own computer), or upgrading to 8.

What's your experience with Windows 8 if you have it? Love it or hate it?

I for one, don't like the interface, but I understand it can be made to pretty much mimic Windows 7. If I can do that, are there then any advantages to 8?

This laptop is pretty much used solely for Internet, multimedia, and Office applications - all of which it handled just fine before Windows decided it needed to "restore" itself and correct the startup. Now, it lags doing everything. 4 gigs of RAM, dual-core Pentium.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Administrator
    I've used it and did not like it. I can see it beinh great if and only if you have a touch screen. Otherwise, I don't see a point to it over windows 7.

This would be an excellent opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide App
    Sonic likes this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

For the faster boot times I feel windows 8 is worth it, its basically windows 7 with an extra interface on top that you can skip through.

Contest Manager
    I messed around on one a a store. it didnt have touch screen and it was a pain moving tiles because you have to use the slide bar a the bottom which slows you down. Like X said that feature is useless with out touch screen.

I would only get it if the OS is truly better/faster.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Resident Tater Salad
    This would be an excellent opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.
    Maybe, but it's probably only a computer I'd like to keep going for another year or so, so I'd like to invest as little as possible in it. I don't think a 128 gig SSD would be enough for pictures, music, and everything else.

I just hate Vista.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by tecollins1 View Post
    I messed around on one a a store. it didnt have touch screen and it was a pain moving tiles because you have to use the slide bar a the bottom which slows you down. Like X said that feature is useless with out touch screen.

I would only get it if the OS is truly better/faster.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. Don't like that interface at all. Honestly, I still like XP's interface better than 7.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

I know you can turn off the tile interface, just not what it's like underneath it. I assume like windows 7.

- DROID RAZR MAXX.
    HOW TO: Gain Access to Side-Markers

Current: Smoked Side Marker Lenses, Black Bow Ties, Bluetooth PDIM, Reso Delete, 35/5% Tint, TCollins Big 3 Kit, Dashcam
    Soon: Custom Tablet Magnet Mount, De-Chrome, ?

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeAaron View Post
    I know you can turn off the tile interface, just not what it's like underneath it. I assume like windows 7.

- DROID RAZR MAXX.
    underneath the tile interface is a slightly modified version of windows 7. Basically the tile screen takes place of the start menu.

Off-Road Champion
    I like Windows 8, the ability to switch interfaces is pretty cool, and with the computer I built, it's very fast.

I had trouble activating Windows at first, but now that the problem is taken care of, I can finally personalize it to my needs.

You would benefit from Windows 8 more if your monitor was touch-sensitive(for swiping the screen). I'd like to try a Windows 8 phone out. My dad picked one up, and he absolutely loves it. The apps you can download are quite impressive.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Maybe, but it's probably only a computer I'd like to keep going for another year or so, so I'd like to invest as little as possible in it. I don't think a 128 gig SSD would be enough for pictures, music, and everything else.

I just hate Vista.
    I picked up a 240GB SSD for $155 shipped back in October, and it's not a budget model either. It's a Sandisk Extreme, which performs up there with the Intel 5xx series. The only reason I mention it is because it turned my very old laptop into a machine that's faster than my desktop, which is far newer. I have a core duo dual 2.13GHz CPU without x64 support and 2GB of RAM, which for everything that I can think of doing on my laptop in Windows 7 is more than enough. I don't see myself needing to replace it for at least 2 more years unless there are other significant hardware failures.

Just saying, if it's for internet and basic tasks, an SSD will make a completely different machine out of your laptop, and if you are filling up a 240GB or even 120GB drive with pictures and music, you either have a million duplicates, or you need to heavily consider investing in a raided backup drive.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 12-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast