The recall that never ends - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The recall that never ends

Administrator

I read as much of the NASA report to the NHTSA as I could understand. NASA did NOT rule out an electrical or mechanical problem with the Toyotas. They did state that the ONE car they studied didn't exhibit any electrical or mechanical problems that could cause unintended acceleration.

Face it, cars are extremely complex and as with any sufficiently complex systems, unexpected and unintended emergent behaviors will occur. The reason automatics have the brake interlock system was because of a problem in some Audi's in the late 80s jumping when put into gear.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Banned
    Well i aint afraid to bash toyota...Just ordered and installed new struts and some other replacements parts for the 99 i drive to and from work while my cruze is sitting out for the winter...and not long after i got those installed, the struts already broke, the engine blew at 200k..put another engine it from junkyard and its got 50k extra on the car so its bound to blow anytime. Ill say this toyota fans, that my 2000 cavalier i had before my cruze, i didnt have to put a dime into anything major...just oil changes and light maintanance for a whole five years, but i went ahead and put in 5 grand in it. Mostly the motor and suspension that would over perform any new toyota, ford, dodge, nissan, suburu, and kia in its class. It **** near handles just as good as the cruze after all the new stuff i put into it.(kyb struts, new control arms and bushings, wheel bearings, tie rods, all new brake components, the whole nine). Im not completely bashing toyota saying they are **** but i would choose chevrolet over any of those other brands anytime, anywhere. They cant compete..Period. Dont mean to offend anyone but ive had nothing but issues with toyota, ford, and dodge. To be honest, im more of an exotic car person and muscle car person. Mainly chevrolet muscle cars, but anything is cool in both. CHEVROLET HANDS DOWN!!!!

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by chevycruze2012 View Post
    Well i aint afraid to bash toyota...Just ordered and installed new struts and some other replacements parts for the 99 i drive to and from work while my cruze is sitting out for the winter...and not long after i got those installed, the struts already broke, the engine blew at 200k..put another engine it from junkyard and its got 50k extra on the car so its bound to blow anytime. Ill say this toyota fans, that my 2000 cavalier i had before my cruze, i didnt have to put a dime into anything major...just oil changes and light maintanance for a whole five years, but i went ahead and put in 5 grand in it. Mostly the motor and suspension that would over perform any new toyota, ford, dodge, nissan, suburu, and kia in its class. It **** near handles just as good as the cruze after all the new stuff i put into it.(kyb struts, new control arms and bushings, wheel bearings, tie rods, all new brake components, the whole nine). Im not completely bashing toyota saying they are **** but i would choose chevrolet over any of those other brands anytime, anywhere. They cant compete..Period. Dont mean to offend anyone but ive had nothing but issues with toyota, ford, and dodge. To be honest, im more of an exotic car person and muscle car person. Mainly chevrolet muscle cars, but anything is cool in both. CHEVROLET HANDS DOWN!!!!
    Wait, so you expect the suspension on the Cruze to hold up for 12 years/200K miles? That's...not going to happen. I can already tell you that my shocks on this car are going to wear out before 100K miles on this car.

Any car you buy is going to have issues a few years down the road. I sure wasn't too mad when my Volvo needed a wheel bearing, new CV joints, and new struts at 190,000 miles.

200K miles is bad for an engine for a car that was probably not properly taken care of before you owned it? I've seen cars with lesser miles explode on the side of the road. A friend's Saturn Ion (using the same engine that your Cavvy did) shot a rod through the side of the block going down the highway, and another friend's Contour cracked the engine block just going around town.

I think it's hilarious when people complain about issues with a car 10+ years old and then say that so-and-so manufacturer isn't reliable. I had a 1988 Accord that was 18 years old at the time I got rid of it, and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned - broke down almost every 2 months without fail. Would I tell someone not to buy a Honda? Nope. Tons of other people (my parents have had 3 with 0 issues besides that one) have had great experiences with the brand.
    Last edited by jblackburn; 01-01-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Banned
    Its not likely that it will on any car...thats not what i said or getting at. It takes the right person to make things last on a car and take good care of them. My suspension in my cruze would last significantly long because well...one im very particular..two im mechanically inclined, i taught everything i know about auto myself...three the susp on the rear of the cruze is mainly just a spring which has greater chance of lasting longer bec it doesnt contain a strut/shock. Think about this senario...I race sprintcars(used to anyway..and now my brother races my stuff) there is shocks on the front and back of the racecar ok. Going around corners at 140+mph on dirt will overwork shocks in compression ratios. Same idea with automotive...Bumbs, turns, main driving wears out struts and shocks quicker. With the rears having just a spring on the cruze, it WILL LAST a looooooooong time. Longer than alot of other brands cars. My cavalier (if i still had it) would outlast older and newer cars from ford, dodge, toyota, nissan, honda, and kia. And i say that in extremely high confidence. Not trying to offend anyone but it was my car for 5 years and never had to put a dime in it bec i had to, i did bec i wanted to bec i thought i was gonna keep it, but didnt =[. Im even more happy with my cruze, so i dont miss my cavalier much.

BOOOOST!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Wait, so you expect the suspension on the Cruze to hold up for 12 years/200K miles? That's...not going to happen. I can already tell you that my shocks on this car are going to wear out before 100K miles on this car.
    That's expected. Shocks don't work too well after about 40K. It should be a yearly maintenance item on a lot of German cars.

By buddy's '12 Focus is already crashing through the suspension with 28K miles.
    Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi
    GSXR750 - Turbo, E85, approx 220whp
    ZX10R - Mufflers - 161whp

Administrator

It really depends on the shocks in question. I never replaced the shocks in either of my mini-vans in 22 years (12 and 10) of ownership. Never had a problem with them either and I had them checked every 30K expecting to replace them. Based on my experiences I don't expect have to replace the shocks until close to 75-100K miles. My wife had a Pontiac Sunbird that needed shock replacement around 80K miles.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jakkaroo View Post
    lol yet Americans still think toyota is the best,and made in America lmao
    Toyota has a huge presence in the US. See TOYOTA IN THE UNITED STATES.

From Toyota | November 2012 Sales Chart, thru November 2012, 70.3% of Toyota vehicles sold in the US were built in North America.

And there's Camry Edges Out F-150 for 'Most American' in Cars.com Index.

If anyone's curious about the details of the settlement, it looks like more documents have gone up at http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/CaseDocs. There used to be only 1 PDF.

From what I saw before, it looks like the lawyers are getting $200 million.

There is also http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nues-fall.html, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...rightYear=2012 along with http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ew-car-values/
    Toyota models and models from the company’s Lexus luxury division were the best values in 6 of the 10 Consumer Reports categories, and three of those were hybrids (the Prius, Prius V and Camry).
    (Yeah yeah... a bunch of guys are going to slam me about CR.) So, here's also http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2012008.
    Last edited by cwerdna; 01-02-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    Toyotech likes this.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
    Nobody will ever convince me that there wasn't something to the unintended acceleration claims. Due to the amount of scams that were being pulled when the knowledge got out, we will never know what the true cause was.

I have an older customer who had a 2006 Corolla. She started it up and went through her backyard fence and her neighbour's fence. Toyota repaired the car and performed the floormat recall etc. A month later, she starts the car up, puts it in reverse and ends up plowing into 3 parked cars writing it off.

Keep in mind, this all happened months before I started seeing SUA reports online and in the news.
    Even I will agree that it's still impossible to rule out some electronic fault or some other unknown and unresolved cause.

But... notice that after all the recalls (retrofit sticky accelerator pedal assemblies, replace floor mats, etc.) that the Toyota SUA media attention is virtually all gone now? So, it does seem that they did fix most (or all?) of the potential causes.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    It really depends on the shocks in question. I never replaced the shocks in either of my mini-vans in 22 years (12 and 10) of ownership. Never had a problem with them either and I had them checked every 30K expecting to replace them. Based on my experiences I don't expect have to replace the shocks until close to 75-100K miles. My wife had a Pontiac Sunbird that needed shock replacement around 80K miles.
    totally agree - our civic had 120,000 miles and we replaced only the right front shock at around 80,000 miles. The dealer saw it leaking. I said shouldn't we replace the left front too they said no you can replace one shock at a time and they said you only need to replace it if it is leaking otherwise it is fine. thought that was strange but the suspension never gave us problems only that one shock.

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jsusanka View Post
    totally agree - our civic had 120,000 miles and we replaced only the right front shock at around 80,000 miles. The dealer saw it leaking. I said shouldn't we replace the left front too they said no you can replace one shock at a time and they said you only need to replace it if it is leaking otherwise it is fine. thought that was strange but the suspension never gave us problems only that one shock.
    Wow tags crazy they only replaced one we usually replace in pairs but I've also done all for when one was bad.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    GO FOR GOLD

http://www.youtube.com/user/H377ON3ARTH?feature=mhee

2012 ECO 6MT

Current Mods:
    K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake,Tinted Windows, Custom Made Cat Back Exhaust With IMCO High Flow Muffler, Trifecta Performance Tune Plasti-dipped stock ECO rims, ZZP Down-pipe, M-Tech Shifter Shortener, 15" Incriminator Audio Subwoofer in Custom Built Box pushed by a Hifonics BRZ-2100.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.