Not "over" but MUCH closer.
Copied from my Sportscenter app
NEW YORK -- A tentative agreement has been reached between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr stood side by side in the early hours of Sunday morning to announce that there was a framework in place for a new collective bargaining agreement.
Although the deal still requires language clarification, legal fine-tuning and ratification from both sides, a verbal agreement has been reached on the major points.
"We still have a lot of work to do," Bettman said, "but it's good to be at this point."
The deal still requires majority approval from both the Board of Governors and the NHLPA membership before it can become official.
The tentative agreement is a 10-year deal with a mutual opt-out clause after eight years that includes contract term limits at seven years (eight years for a team to re-sign its own players), a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.
Sources said the 2013-14 salary cap, a very divisive issue, will be $64.3 million while the floor will be $44 million.
Contract salary variance is capped at 35% year-to-year, with the provision that the last year can't vary more than 50 percent of the highest-salaried year, a source told ESPN.com.
Veteran forward Shane Doan admitted that the players knew it would be concessionary bargaining from the beginning, but was satisfied with the terms agreed upon.
"You knew you were in that position and I think as a union we got the best deal we could possibly get, and you're happy," he said. "You're just excited to play hockey again and do what you really enjoy and have a passion for."
Word of the agreement came after the two sides hashed out their remaining differences for more than 16 hours at a hotel in midtown Manhattan. It was the lengthiest negotiating session and latest night of a lockout that has lasted 113 days -- almost 4 months.
Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App