New Car Shopping
NEWS
 
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: New Car Shopping

  1. #1
    Resident Derp Smurfenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    2,727

    New Car Shopping

    Now don't worry, my Cruze isn't going anywhere, but my mom is long over do for a new SUV (currently drives a 2000 Tahoe she bought new). After dealing with set backs from being layed off, and helping me get my Cruze, she's been looking around and has come up with a short list of cars, and seeing as I have time during the day to kill, and I generally know more about cars than she does, she has entrusted the car finding to me.

    Anyways, after going to the silicone valley car show back in January she has narrowed her choices down to 4 cars:

    Chevy Equinox
    Cadillac SRX (removed)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee (2014)
    Audi Q5


    Now, after some searching of my own, I've crossed the SRX off the list, and added the Audi allroad as a possibility because its roughly the same as the Q5, but has different features at different trim levels. So far, she's leaning towards the Jeep due to its 3L V6 Eco engine that gets 30mpg and a total range of 730 miles. However I have some concerns on it being the first year of a new generation of the Grand Cherokee. Also, due to how much my mom is looking at spending on her new SUV, I've crossed the Equinox off the list as a back-up because we can get a much nicer car(tbh).

    In the end, I'm really looking for feedback on the Audi allroad, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee, because my mom's friend at work owns a Q5 and we already have all our info for that car. Anyone out there have any insight to shed on these two cars? I'm mainly looking for un-biased answers here, no jeep bashing just because you're not a mopar fan, or audi bashing because you're a Beemer/Benz person at heart (aside from being a loyal chevy driver of course :P).

    Vinyl Overlays / Vinyl Decals \ Vinyl Wraps

    2012 "Black Widow" Cruze - Sponsored by Mixxed Auto Design

  2. #2
    Handbrake Released 98sonoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    232
    I've not driven one, but I am in love with the Grand Cherokee. The new Chrysler interiors are wonderful too. If things work out, I'll be seriously considering the GC after I get married next year.

  3. #3
    Resident Tater Salad

    jblackburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    8,286
    The new Grand Cherokee is full of awesomeness. The transmission and power train is just great. The interior too. Nothin like the old Jeeps.

    Audis and their AWD systems are notoriously unreliable and maintenance hogs.


    Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M


  4. #4
    Epic Beard Man
    Sunline Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    4,435
    Since you are looking across the board, did you look at the new Ford Explorer? Similar size/mileage features I believe.

    I'd be hesitant about the GC just because they literally just started building them earlier this month. If she were the type to lease, that's a different story. But a first build like that could be trouble to keep it longer term/out of warranty. Maybe not, but I'm refraining from my general Chrysler bashing.
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.



  5. #5
    Handbrake Released 98sonoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    The new Grand Cherokee is full of awesomeness. The transmission and power train is just great. The interior too. Nothin like the old Jeeps.

    Audis and their AWD systems are notoriously unreliable and maintenance hogs.


    Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    Maintenance on foreign cars will be more expensive too... read this earlier, might be worth a peek 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 / V-8 First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

  6. #6
    Resident Derp Smurfenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    The new Grand Cherokee is full of awesomeness. The transmission and power train is just great. The interior too. Nothin like the old Jeeps.

    Audis and their AWD systems are notoriously unreliable and maintenance hogs.
    From what I've looked up online they are full of awesomeness, and we're looking at getting an Overland which squeezes in at the top of our price range.

    Quote Originally Posted by 98sonoma View Post
    I've not driven one, but I am in love with the Grand Cherokee. The new Chrysler interiors are wonderful too. If things work out, I'll be seriously considering the GC after I get married next year.
    I have always loved the Cherokees, and if I were to ever get an off-road oriented car it would be my choice without hesitation. The only thing is that aside from me stealing it for ski trips so I don't have to carry chains or snow tires for my car when its snowing or random off-road fun days, my mom will rarely be in the mountains or anywhere that off-road will be used to its extent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
    Since you are looking across the board, did you look at the new Ford Explorer? Similar size/mileage features I believe.

    I'd be hesitant about the GC just because they literally just started building them earlier this month. If she were the type to lease, that's a different story. But a first build like that could be trouble to keep it longer term/out of warranty. Maybe not, but I'm refraining from my general Chrysler bashing.
    There has been numerous issues with the Ford Escape alone, and there were tons of issues with the old Explorer. We're also a GM/Chevy family, so if its a Ford, its not allowed in our driveway(yes I know this is biased, but I personally don't like the look of most, if not all Fords and they simply don't appeal to me). Also she tried it out to try and be un-biased during the car show but absolutely hated it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 98sonoma View Post
    Maintenance on foreign cars will be more expensive too... read this earlier, might be worth a peek 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 / V-8 First Drive – Review – Car and Driver
    This is what I thought, however her friend and boss at work both own Q5s and they've never had any sort of irregular maintenance or and problems of that matter after 3-5 years of owning them. My only fear is that they might have 6-8 year problems that they simply haven't reached yet, however being the first production year of the GC, i'm also hesitant just from hearing of the problems with the 11 Cruze's vs. the 12s. Although my mom has heard reports that Jeep has been EXTENSIVELY testing the new GC to make sure its perfect for debut and overall we're getting nothing but good info/news about it.

    Vinyl Overlays / Vinyl Decals \ Vinyl Wraps

    2012 "Black Widow" Cruze - Sponsored by Mixxed Auto Design

  7. #7
    Duke of Oil

    XtremeRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Posts
    12,124
    GMC has a new Terrain Denali that I would very highly recommend looking at.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts


    XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net



    "When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

    "...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

  8. #8
    Off-Road Champion

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Westchester cty NY
    Posts
    2,270
    Anyone out there have any insight to shed on these two cars? I'm mainly looking for un-biased answers here, no jeep bashing just because you're not a mopar fan, or audi bashing because you're a Beemer/Benz person at heart (aside from being a loyal chevy driver of course :P).
    No bashing - just be aware the maintenance on German cars can be pricey. My son called me the other day about his 2010 BMW 328i - his car no longer qualifies for the free maintenance and he was told by the dealer that the price to change the six spark plugs would be $500.
    2014 Jet Black / Black M Sport 6M BMW 320i
    2012 Urban Titanium Metallic/black interior Honda CR-V LX AWD 5A-wife's
    2011 Black Granite Metallic/medium titanum interior Cruze ECO 6M - sold
    2004 Pulse Red/black leather interior GTO 6M
    1988 Black/Recaro interior Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 5M-garage queen

  9. #9
    Resident Derp Smurfenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    GMC has a new Terrain Denali that I would very highly recommend looking at.
    My mom isn't interested in a truck SUV anymore, and is on the annoying picky side. In terms of Chevy, she is only intersted in the Equinox because it has what she wants:

    - Fits 5, NOT 7
    - Can lift her leg and slide in, NO jumping into the car, and NO running boards whatsoever

    **EDIT: I'm not to familiar with GMC, I know that there is an Equinox equivalent, and after talking to a friend at our dealership they told us that it is in fact an Equinox, just with GMC badges, and different trim packages. However because of the budget, we would end up with the LTZ Equinox, so package wise it wont be an benefit as we will be getting everything if we were to go this route.

    The main reason why the GC is still a contender even with its normal running height, is the feature where the car lowers its self when in park to make getting in and out easier. Also, it has the Eco engine with the 730 mile range which is impressive, and the 30mpg vs her current Tahoe is more than amazing.
    Last edited by Smurfenstein; 02-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.

    Vinyl Overlays / Vinyl Decals \ Vinyl Wraps

    2012 "Black Widow" Cruze - Sponsored by Mixxed Auto Design

  10. #10
    Duke of Oil

    XtremeRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Posts
    12,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfenstein View Post
    My mom isn't interested in a truck SUV anymore, and is on the annoying picky side. In terms of Chevy, she is only intersted in the Equinox because it has what she wants:

    - Fits 5, NOT 7
    - Can lift her leg and slide in, NO jumping into the car, and NO running boards whatsoever

    **EDIT: I'm not to familiar with GMC, I know that there is an Equinox equivalent, and after talking to a friend at our dealership they told us that it is in fact an Equinox, just with GMC badges, and different trim packages. However because of the budget, we would end up with the LTZ Equinox, so package wise it wont be an benefit as we will be getting everything if we were to go this route.

    The main reason why the GC is still a contender even with its normal running height, is the feature where the car lowers its self when in park to make getting in and out easier. Also, it has the Eco engine with the 730 mile range which is impressive, and the 30mpg vs her current Tahoe is more than amazing.
    The Terrain is the GMC version of the Chevy Equinox...
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts


    XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net



    "When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

    "...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Car Shopping and have a couple questions about the Cruze
    By 99_XC600 in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
  2. shopping for Cruze
    By xecruze in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
  3. Brief summary of my car shopping and a question about the Cruze's A/C
    By Maxvla in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM
  4. Window and price shopping - Ohio
    By MetallicaMatt in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2