Gas sold by Liter in the U.S.
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gas sold by Liter in the U.S.

Eddy Cruze is online now [OP]

Gas sold by Liter in the U.S.

In the late 70s we experienced an Oil shortage and the prices rose overnight, kind of like today with Crude jumping 12%. Many stations limited purchases and some States introduced the Odd/Even thing. The next thing we knew many stations started posting prices by the Liter. Why did this happen and why did it change back to the Gallon? Coming from a nation that never really embraced the Metric system was this just a way to hide the higher prices? I did see Top Tier regular selling for $1.50 today, and when I drove by after having some authentic Al Pastor Tacos it went down to $1.49 a Gallon. Now that Iran & the Saudi's along with OPEC are going to cut production I guess we wont benefit from all that excess Iranian Oil after all

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Cruze View Post
    The next thing we knew many stations started posting prices by the Liter. Why did this happen and why did it change back to the Gallon?
    As I recall, it was a limitation of the gas pumps many stations had at that time. They couldn't cope with gas price at $1/gal or more. But it was easy to change them to liters. Once those pumps got changed out, then they went back to pricing by the gallon.
    obermd likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

My grandfather said he had two plates because in Connecticut they did the odd/even plate thing.
    2014 cruze diesel 2.0TD
    2009 Ford escape limited v6 4x4
    1971 Nova SS 406ci TH350w/shift kit

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Hey Eddy you can always do the Mathematical equation and continue buying by the Litre .
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

Touring Champion
    I don't even pay any attention to gas prices anymore. It's all artificial, and contrived, anyway. Some day a gas "Snowden" will expose the industry to the price fixing we all live under. Yesterday, I filled Black Betty with Sunoco 87 E10 for $1.34/gal. Today the same station is $1.59/gal. And the BP across the street is ten cents more per gallon.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    37,100 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)
    108,782 December '15 YTD 32.4%
    178,051 December '16 YTD 48.5%
    37,625 April '17 YTD 67.0%

Super Moderator

I was working a station back then.

We had to market fuel at the 1/2 gallon price because gas pumps (mechanical) only could be set as high as 49.9 cents.
    Although clearly marked at the pump, every so often we had a battle for payment because the pump read $5.00 for example.
    $5.00 pump meant $10.00 out of the wallet......Some folks thought that we had a 'under' 49.9 per gallon price.......yeah, right, we would've been the only station in the country with prices that low at the time.
    BTW.....this is when WE pumped your fuel, washed the glass, checked under the hood.....back when service stations provided actual service.

Over the next few months, the oil companies sent out people to modify the pumps.....still mechanical but now could read as high as $9.99.9

We used to just be agast that the possibility existed for fuel to reach that high a price.
    Having lived in America, the home of the Sunday drive and endless oil company commercials and various giveaways, all for just 28.9 cents a gallon, this was serious stuff to comprehend.

It was quite an awakening.

Rob
    Eddy Cruze likes this.

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    I don't even pay any attention to gas prices anymore. It's all artificial, and contrived, anyway. Some day a gas "Snowden" will expose the industry to the price fixing we all live under.
    It's called "OPEC". That's exactly what they do. That plus commodity pricing. Also, a station has to price it's product not on what it paid for it, but it's replacement cost. Run a simple simulation of a gas station with 2 or 3 tanker loads where the price increase exceeds your profit margin and you'll quickly realize the cash flow problem. If you didn't raise the price right away, you'd have to take out a loan every time your ordered a new tank because your receipts wouldn't cover the new tank - much less the cost of the attendants, rent, and other usual stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We used to just be agast that the possibility existed for fuel to reach that high a price.
    I remember the news interviewing people when gas was about to go over $1/gal about what they'd do. Several said they'd quit driving. (Yeah, sure. 5¢ more would call for a complete lifestyle change.)
    obermd likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Eddy Cruze is online now [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    It's called "OPEC". That's exactly what they do. That plus commodity pricing. Also, a station has to price it's product not on what it paid for it, but it's replacement cost. Run a simple simulation of a gas station with 2 or 3 tanker loads where the price increase exceeds your profit margin and you'll quickly realize the cash flow problem. If you didn't raise the price right away, you'd have to take out a loan every time your ordered a new tank because your receipts wouldn't cover the new tank - much less the cost of the attendants, rent, and other usual stuff.

I remember the news interviewing people when gas was about to go over $1/gal about what they'd do. Several said they'd quit driving. (Yeah, sure. 5¢ more would call for a complete lifestyle change.)
    And I thought that Satellite Dish you see on the roofs of most Service Stations for the last 30 years was so the Attendant could watch HBO when there were no customers!

Robby's pump story was great! I remember hearing most old pumps were not able to handle anything over 99.99 cents a Gallon in the late 70s and that is how we got to the Pumps of the future. Hey whatever happened to Mobil's SpeedPay?

Aesop

Had a brand new home back then with an LP gas range, cloths dryer, hot water heater, and furnace, with a 1000 gallon LP gas tank that could hold only 800 gallons. The price for years was 9 cents a gallon, so it cost $72.00 to fill that tank.

$72.00 was a lot of money back then, average weekly food bill was around $20.00, but when this BS started, overnight the price of LP gas skyrocketed to $1.57 per gallon, or $1,256.00 to fill that tank. Car gas was regulated by the government, LP gas was not, and not a darn thing could anyone do about it.

Dryer, water heater, and gas range had to go, was cheap back then so replaced all those with electric, but somebody figured out a gallon of LP gas was 90K BTU's for a $1.57 where fuel oil was 150K BTU's per gallon, so they shot the price of unregulated fuel oil to $2.62 per gallon. Many converted to burning wood, but in the process, also managed to burn their homes down, or left for the day to come back to frozen pipes.

What a mess, worthless VN war was coming to an end, but the oil companies won their battle by limiting the amount of gasoline they would supply. Lines were long, and could only buy 5 gallons at a time.

If this wasn't bad enough, 1972 vehicles had to be equipped with a catalytic converter and could only burn unleaded gas that also created a pump shortage. Was only one grade of unleaded fuel, so they used the pumps for high octane fuel, and practically most of the vehicles had a 10.5:1 compression ratio where it was difficult to find a station that even sold high octane fuel, but if you did, the price of the high octane fuel, not regulated jumped from 28 cents per gallon to as high as $1.80 per gallon. So your fairly brand new vehicle was worthless as well, would detonate like crazy. And when you switched off the ignition, the engine would still run.

Had my 1970 Buick Riviera back then was able to buy a Canadian thicker head gasket to cut the compression ratio to 9:1 and was lucky to find a 1972 455 engine with the EGR manifold and controls with the latest carb for 15 bucks. So on this car, I could burn unleaded.

Not so lucky with my 1965 Buick with the 401, no such EGR valve for this car, so just went with the thick head gaskets so I could use regular leaded gas.

Ha, kind of laugh today at the pumps stating unleaded gas, was around 1984 was the last time anyone could buy leaded gas.

Unleaded gas has a combustion chamber temperature of around 2.600*F, around 500*F higher than leaded gas, so this is why you needed the exhaust gas recirculation valve that would add as much as 30% burnt fuel to the intake. So in effect, your 455 CID engine was more like a 318 CID engine. But still got you there, and screw all this muscle car crap, getting there for your job and school and buying groceries was the most important thing.

If this isn't bad enough, dropped the speed limit to 55 mph, stupid ******* government, vehicles were geared to get the best mileage at 70 mph, and were consuming even more gas and diesel fuel at 55. Besides 90% of the driving was done in major cities with extremely low fuel economy, truckers were screaming about this, and shipping cost skyrocketed. What a bunch of assholes we had running this country, and still have today?

If this wasn't bad enough, opened the doors to cheap imports from Japan, government was giving them a 10% kickback and extremely difficult to compete with. But also at the same time the EPA, OSHA, and ERA was formed walking into your plant saying you can't do this or can't do that that was a huge extra expense.

This is the country I was forced to fight for? Surprised I was able to survive this, many died at an early age with heart attacks and strokes. Or from boredom driving at 55 mph.

Aesop

Ha, got me started again.
    obermd likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.