Massive New G.M. Recall - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Massive New G.M. Recall

Aesop

Right or wrong, the way WPR news explained this the computer runs a diagnoses to test the air bag circuits. And if you just happen to crash during this test, the airbags will not go off.

Also explained this way, if not wearing your seat belts and run into an unmovable object head on you are only good to survive if driving under 25 mph, if you are wearing your safety belts, good up to maybe 40 mph.

But driving at 20 mph isn't safe either if you have a head on collision with say a Bradley tank, also going 20 mph directly toward you. Its the collision speed that counts. Air bags are next to worthless in rollovers. Like off the side of a mountain road with a 2,000 foot drop.

Just saying, depending on the circumstance of these so-called accidents, deploying the airbags or not may not make any difference at all.

Just heard somebody was killed in our town getting hit by a train on Main Street. What? That crossing has gates that drop well before the train is even close. Just tell you what happened no details.

Same by looking at our history of injuries and deaths on our highways, all of this new safety stuff is really not dropping these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    So can GM charge Takata the $550 million. Personally I think all the car manufacturers should be charging Takata for their costs on this recall.
    Geez the vehicle we just traded in for this cruze was in the takata recall and there was no fix for my model in the near future is what I was told due to the working from other states first and taking certain vehicles first. I was to ride passengers in the back only LOL. The car was well into the tenth year of when the shrapnel could fly and in a humid area but not on their critical list. That plus suspension recalls that were fixed and happening again made me trade in. Id be really miffed if I got a recall for bags this soon yet again. Recalls argh, or rather the ness' for them in the first place!

Aesop

Very nebulous on this subject, Takata makes the airbag, but they sure don't mount it. Airbags been around for over 25 years now, and I had to remove them for other steering wheel or passenger side dash problems. Would read the shop manual ten times, and really be wide awake. Was a yellow wire that had to be shorted out first with the battery disconnected.

What I am trying to say is that these airbags are not exposed, all buried under plastic of some sort and really have no idea where this plastic goes if the airbag explodes.

Do know this, drive a heck of a lot more carefully and do not drive cross handed anymore, could be killed by my own fist. A short friend had his neck broken by these "stupid" things in a fender bender type accident. Seems like one size does not fit all.

Very concerned about my darling wife, she is short and sits very close to that steering wheel. Are airbags the solution? Then four of my kids had to buy gas guzzling mini-vans when that third darling grandkid cam along. Yeah, they pay about 97 cents less per day in income taxes with that kid, but sure don't get an extra deduction for the vehicles they have to buy.

But they are the law! So whose fault is this, the ones that are trying to comply with it, or the ones that made this law? Or should this be in the stupid question section?

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Very nebulous on this subject, Takata makes the airbag, but they sure don't mount it. Airbags been around for over 25 years now, and I had to remove them for other steering wheel or passenger side dash problems. Would read the shop manual ten times, and really be wide awake. Was a yellow wire that had to be shorted out first with the battery disconnected.
    Nick are you saying cruze's have takata air bags? The salesman lied to us then. (forum wants me to lengthen my post LOL so anyway)

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slothcruzer View Post
    The salesman lied to us then. (forum wants me to lengthen my post LOL so anyway)
    ROFL! I'd be very surprised if ANY car salesman for any brand knew who made the airbags in a given vehicle. I long since abandoned any reliance for information on a car from the sales staff. I do the research prior to visiting the dealership and only use the salesman for pricing and closing the sale. Few of them are knowledgeable on what they sell and most will blow smoke if you let them.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    37,100 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)
    108,782 December '15 YTD 32.4%
    178,051 December '16 YTD 48.5%
    37,625 April '17 YTD 67.0%

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.