Bought a car lately? Your data may be leaked.
  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By obermd

Thread: Bought a car lately? Your data may be leaked.

ChevyGuy is online now [OP]
    Formula One Champion

Bought a car lately? Your data may be leaked.

Bought a car recently? Millions of dealership customer details found online

"If you bought a car in the last few years, there's a good chance your personal information may have found its way to the open internet.

"Names, addresses, phone numbers and social security numbers for both customers and employees for over a hundred car dealerships have leaked online, all thanks to a centralized records system coupled with shoddy security.

"The system, built and operated by DealerBuilt, an Iowa-based database software company, sells management systems for car dealerships across the US, offering a central system for sales, customer relations, and employee payroll needs."

More details at the link.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Administrator

My PII data has been stolen so many times now I've lost count. About the only real safety here is obscurity through huge numbers.
    jblackburn and Merc6 like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

well crap, thats not good
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    My PII data has been stolen so many times now I've lost count. About the only real safety here is obscurity through huge numbers.
    I was thinking the same thing. I also subscribe to a good identity theft monitoring service.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 200K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 6K (Gordon - my backup car until the new 1.6 diesels come out)

Touring Champion
    Fortunately, our bank offers us free credit monitoring and alerts. So far, we haven't been hit, but we don't use any credit and we are completely debt free (due to SWMBO's efforts). I get a big chuckle every time we shop at a Target store and the checkout clerk hits us up for a store credit card. Yeah, I'm gonna give you my PI when you've demonstrated that you can't/won't protect it. I still believe that cash can't be hacked. Funny, we worked so hard for so many decades to build high credit scores and now we don't use them.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    36,100 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)
    108,782 December '15 YTD 32.4%
    178,051 December '16 YTD 48.5%
    3,136 January '17 YTD 13.6%

ChevyGuy is online now [OP]
    Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    I still believe that cash can't be hacked.
    Depends on what you mean by "hacked". If it's stolen or you're mugged, it's gone. You're not getting it back. With Credit or Debit cards, you do get your money back.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGuy View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "hacked". If it's stolen or you're mugged, it's gone. You're not getting it back. With Credit or Debit cards, you do get your money back.
    I don't carry mass quantities of cash, so if it's stolen, I'm out less than $100. It's not the credit card being stolen and your personal information miss-used, as much as the hit to one's credit standing when it is and the trouble getting it rectified.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    36,100 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)
    108,782 December '15 YTD 32.4%
    178,051 December '16 YTD 48.5%
    3,136 January '17 YTD 13.6%

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    I don't carry mass quantities of cash, so if it's stolen, I'm out less than $100. It's not the credit card being stolen and your personal information miss-used, as much as the hit to one's credit standing when it is and the trouble getting it rectified.
    I don't disagree with your cash usage being a safer method of payment, but...as a college student, if all I had was cash and someone stole 10$ from me....that could be the difference of me having gas to go to work or not, it's a very big deal to me, and why I feel much safer using a debit card and having credit available for emergencies.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.