looking for a hitch for 2012 cruze RS package
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: looking for a hitch for 2012 cruze RS package

Driver's Ed

looking for a hitch for 2012 cruze RS package

So I just bought a Cruze. Im very into mtbing and know I need to get a hitch for my car. What is everyone using and recommend? I know it will be a 1 1/4" receiver.

Thanks
    2012 Cruze 2LT w/RS package

Off-Road Champion
    How many bikes do you travel with that you can't just use a roof rack? I think you're the first to ask about that, as its a silly concept with the cruzes. Not many buy a Cruze to 'tow' with lol(no offense).
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTaurus View Post
    How many bikes do you travel with that you can't just use a roof rack? I think you're the first to ask about that, as its a silly concept with the cruzes. Not many buy a Cruze to 'tow' with lol(no offense).
    I'm also curious about this actually. And roof/trunk racks have potential to damage paint. The hitch would be to mount a rack. Nothing would actually be towed.

I have a strap on bike rack that goes on the trunk. Never been a problem with the bike hitting the body of the car. Please don't put a hitch on the car!! You would be one of very few that have done so. Someone else asked the same last year and we felt the same way then. There are other alternatives.

Retired Moderator

There are hitches available. I can see the attraction of wanting a hitch-mounted bike carrier vs. trunk-mount or roof rack. The roof rack has a giant fuel economy penalty, and the trunk-mount needs to be completely undone to access anything in the trunk. The hitch-mount racks can swing down for easier loading/unloading, and trunk access.

I'm very idly tossing about the idea of a hitch and wiring for a 4x8 utility trailer. Given the trailers weigh about 150 lbs and the car can have 1000 lbs of passengers/cargo, in theory the car can tow roughly 600-700 lbs of stuff. Or more than enough for a dump run, lawn tractor, new TV, or 12 50 lb bags of concrete. It'd be handy for messy/bulky items that won't play nicely with the interior.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

There are couple threads here on hitches with some pics and links included. Just don't try to put a hitch on an Eco, Chevy says that's a no-no.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR View Post
    So I just bought a Cruze. Im very into mtbing and know I need to get a hitch for my car. What is everyone using and recommend? I know it will be a 1 1/4" receiver.

Thanks
    Did you end up putting a hitch on your Cruze? Do you have any pics?

Ok just ordered a hitch for my 2012 RS today from Amazon. Its a Curt #112820 class 1 hitch. I contacted Curt prior to ordering and asked them if the hitch would work with the RS package and they said that this part was applicable to all 2012 Cruzes and had not heard of any issues with an RS. I will keep you posted after I receive it and test fit it. Hopefully it will clear bumper cover. Just a FYI I am not planning on towing just to be used with a cargo carrier for road trips.

I received my hitch today. Opened box and found hitch had a few good chips exposing bare metal so Im holding off on the install to see if Curt Mfg. will either send me some touch up or something. I can't have exposed metal here in Michigan winters. Hope I dont sound too picky but to have it come out the box chipped is kinda BS especially when you spend around $200. I tried to contact them through email today but didnt hear back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnCruzeRS View Post
    I received my hitch today. Opened box and found hitch had a few good chips exposing bare metal so Im holding off on the install to see if Curt Mfg. will either send me some touch up or something. I can't have exposed metal here in Michigan winters. Hope I dont sound too picky but to have it come out the box chipped is kinda BS especially when you spend around $200. I tried to contact them through email today but didnt hear back yet.
    I think it's fair to ask for a replacement. You can't just touch those things up easily- the original paint is baked on and much thicker than spray paint/touch up paint. The bad part is, once it gets a chip in it, the paint coating starts to loosen away from the metal and chips off.

I'm interested to hear what it looks like with the hitch on.
    obermd and JayZee like this.
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast