Closer Look at Start/Stop Technology - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Closer Look at Start/Stop Technology

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    The stop/start in a friend's 2005 Civic Hybrid works just fine 8 years later.

EPS is great since it uses a electric motor for assist, not an engine-dependent pump. So it's possible to have some assist with the engine off. Our Cruzes don't, though. The steering is feather-light at speed anyhow, so it's not a big deal.
    They also don't use start/stop technology right now either. Hopefully if they do, GM will see the benefit of using the steering with the engine off or start it when the wheel is turned.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    It's freaking annoying in most cars. If I'm not driving a hybrid, I'll shut my engine off, thank you very much.

My friend has a 2005 V6 Hybrid Accord - essentially a start-stop "mild hybrid" system that can run off 3 cylinders and engages the engine as soon as you let off the gas. Honda did something BRILLIANT and ran an electric variable displacement AC compressor. When the engine shuts off, it kicks the compressor down to a lower displacement and keeps running the AC. Airflow is a bit reduced, but it still stays cold.

I do this also. Whenever I get stuck at a long light, I know I just missed. The engine goes off and I start again when I see the other light turn red(b/c engine starts so quickly). I am still gauging whether I am burning more gas on the restart. One downside is during the summer when it is hot, the AC goes off also with the engine. First car I saw do this. At least the blower stays on in other cars without the compressor running.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Electric steering should cure this problem?
    That's assuming all cars will then have electric steering. As I said previously, the brand new Ford Taurus does not, and has a steering wheel that locks up whilst stopped. While it would be nice to have electric steering all across the board, it is still not a common thing.
    2013 Cruze 2LT w/ RS Package
    2012 Cruze LS (oCRUZEo) -
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Follow me on twitter! @iamjoshmahoney

The 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid I had for 5+ years and 75,000 miles acheived more than half of it's fuel savings via stop-start technology. The system work well enough (for a 1st generation system). The engine started seemlessly within half a second or less of when you took your foot off the brake. There were a couple times when the hybrid system malfunctioned where instead of starting via the generator system (which was a relatively quiet, smooth start), it started using the main engine starter, but it never failed to start.

As far as A/C control, the Vue Hybrid had a driver control that simply allowed you to override the stop-start system if you wanted the AC compressor to stay on, otherwise the engine would stop for up to two minutes at a time, but the fan, radio, lights, and electric steering all stayed functional while the engine was off. They system would restart the engine in not more than two minutes even if you didn't take your foot of the brake.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by oMAHONEYo View Post
    That's assuming all cars will then have electric steering. As I said previously, the brand new Ford Taurus does not, and has a steering wheel that locks up whilst stopped. While it would be nice to have electric steering all across the board, it is still not a common thing.
    But the Cruze does have electric steering, so changing the drive train to use Opel's new 1.6T start/stop engine shouldn't be too big if a deal. Opel's engine works with both manual and automatic transmissions as well.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

The Opel Astra J 1.4T (current model) which shares the same or very similar engine to our cruzes has stop/start as standard on both manual and auto.
    Last edited by chrissn89; 11-19-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    But the Cruze does have electric steering, so changing the drive train to use Opel's new 1.6T start/stop engine shouldn't be too big if a deal. Opel's engine works with both manual and automatic transmissions as well.
    My impression was that only the north american Cruzen have Electric, but the rest of the world's cruzen have hydraulic steering I believe. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that they better make sure that the steering wheel doesn't lock up like Ford! Bad move on their part.
    2013 Cruze 2LT w/ RS Package
    2012 Cruze LS (oCRUZEo) -
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Follow me on twitter! @iamjoshmahoney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12