Closer Look at Start/Stop Technology
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Closer Look at Start/Stop Technology

Closer Look at Start/Stop Technology

Looks like we will see this in 2018. I wonder how it will effect the hotter climate owners and use of AC.

I also can't attach a You Tube video. I try and it just sits there and will not post it. Any idea's?

Closer Look at Start/Stop Technology - YouTube
    1991 ECO Jetta TD
    2002 Silverado Z71

Some of the new fords have this as well. My only problem is that (at least as far as the Ford start/stop goes) is that you no longer can control your steering wheel while the cars in 'stop' mode. I can only imagine left turn accidents due to it...

But if they can get it right, hey - better fuel economy is great!
    2013 Cruze 2LT w/ RS Package
    2012 Cruze LS (oCRUZEo) -
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Follow me on twitter! @iamjoshmahoney

Administrator

The new 1.6T engine that Opel designed is a start/stop engine. As long as you have electrical power, the Cruze will turn it's wheels relatively easily. Our steering is electric.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Resident Tater Salad
    It's freaking annoying in most cars. If I'm not driving a hybrid, I'll shut my engine off, thank you very much.

My friend has a 2005 V6 Hybrid Accord - essentially a start-stop "mild hybrid" system that can run off 3 cylinders and engages the engine as soon as you let off the gas. Honda did something BRILLIANT and ran an electric variable displacement AC compressor. When the engine shuts off, it kicks the compressor down to a lower displacement and keeps running the AC. Airflow is a bit reduced, but it still stays cold.
    Patman likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

World Rally Champion
    ...they're assuming (emphasis on 1st three letters!) the engine instantly restarts every time...ain't gonna happen as engines accumulate miles, age, wear & tear...especially in colder climates.

...totally DUMB approach in DESERT locations (>100F) where A/C already (where is R22 Freon when you really need it?) is lousy and gets worse at idle?!?!
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 11-17-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    ...they're assuming (emphasis on 1st three letters!) the engine instantly restarts every time...ain't gonna happen as engines accumulate miles, age, wear & tear...especially in colder climates.

...totally DUMB approach in DESERT locations (>100F) where A/C already (where is R22 Freon when you really need it?) is lousy and gets worse at idle?!?!
    Even R22 struggles in my home AC in the summer here when it's in the 90s. "Oh yeah, it's working fine. Everything checks out." I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be losing a battle when the thermostats at 74 and it's 77 inside.

I miss good old R12. You could freeze meat on the AC vents in my house growing up 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by oMAHONEYo View Post
    Some of the new fords have this as well. My only problem is that (at least as far as the Ford start/stop goes) is that you no longer can control your steering wheel while the cars in 'stop' mode. I can only imagine left turn accidents due to it...

But if they can get it right, hey - better fuel economy is great!
    Electric steering should cure this problem?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post

Most start/stop systems include the ability to get the car moving from a stop while the engine is restarted. Basically it replaces the car's 1st gear.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Electric steering should cure this problem?
    Yes, because it can still produce pressure without the engine running unlike a engine driven pump.

Retired Moderator

The stop/start in a friend's 2005 Civic Hybrid works just fine 8 years later.

EPS is great since it uses a electric motor for assist, not an engine-dependent pump. So it's possible to have some assist with the engine off. Our Cruzes don't, though. The steering is feather-light at speed anyhow, so it's not a big deal.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast