Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Going for 1,000 mile tank

Tags
000 mile tank
37K views 173 replies 41 participants last post by  Rivergoer 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I have had several 900+ mile tanks over the last few months. I am flirting with the 1000 mile tank and figured I would start logging my stats.

I will add more details as to tricks and techniques as I have time.

I have 18 gallons of useable fuel onboard, so 55.6 mpg average will be required. (I will not entertain fuel capacity arguments)

Currently I can maintain 56+ mpg for 700+ miles on my weekly commute. The weekend errands have been what has kept me from the 1000 mile tank. I started this week with a 230 mile head start as I filled up in Ohio on the way back from Lordstown.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Auto part Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
Go for it.

#6 ·
That's what people said when I announced I was going for an 800 mile tank in my ECO MT.

#13 ·
I think I can do 900 miles to a tank not sure about a 1000. Go for it. It is pretty darn amazing. :eusa_clap:

Reactions: BradHerr
#14 ·
I was able to get 800 once, but my driving is too varied and I have a lead foot when taking off.

#17 ·
I had two 800 plus mile tanks last week, I think I could hit 1000 with no to little a/c and speed of less than 65 mph. But yikes that isn't a lot of fun.:grin:

#16 ·
Not to my knowledge. Definitely none reported here.

#23 ·
I left for wildwood, nj from near Indy about a week ago, it was cool, about 55 degrees, and a small amount of tail wind, was getting in mid 50s but having to stop for bathroom breaks and some hills took me down a bit. Went 803 miles and DIC said I could go another 150 or so plus I ran out of highway and began doing some starts and stops. I think if I were driving west and not in a hurry I might be able to get close to 1000 miles. 900 wouldn't be a problem at all.

on my return trip I drove faster and stopped a couple times more, went 811 miles or so but the low fuel light was on and then it said low fuel on DIC and I was in Indy and know I burn more fuel in city so I fueled up, plus it was just 1.96 so why not.

i don't really expect I will do a 1000 tank, but prolly 850 to 900. Not sure I want to get my car that close to empty. But you sure can make it. Plus my CTD only has 12.6k miles. I don't know how long it takes for it to be fully broke in?

#24 ·
I drove mine like I stole it from day 1. Absolutely no "proper" break in procedure. The result? Great power and 0 oil consumption 170,000 miles later. As for running low, I have run over 100 miles with the low fuel light on without issue. YMMV. I figure once the light comes on you have about 2 usable gallons of fuel remaining.

By the way, I think you still have a possibility of making 1000.

#27 ·
Brad,

Can you safely slow down by 5 MPH on your commute? This can make a huge difference in fuel economy.

#28 ·
I'll give it a try. I have 55 miles of interstate at 71-72 mph that nets 60-65 mpg. There is also 35 miles of highway at 59 mph that nets 62-67 mpg.

I believe the terrain plays a role in the diminishing returns on the slower highway driving, but I always see about the same mileage at both speeds so I have always been hesitant to slow on the interstate. I will try it tomorrow and report my findings.

#30 ·
Hopefully you don't get a regen right towards the end, a regen in my car reduces mileage a lot for 10-15 min.

#35 ·
So you will be either a HyperFailer or The most promenant member with a 1 of a kind ( made by you ) 1000.00 miler cruzer ..

Good Luck Chuck !

#39 · (Edited)
@obermd that previous post was in no way directed at your suggestion in a negative way. I agree with your statement, I just want to make sure that if I can make the 1000 mile tank that there is not an asterisk next to it stating "yeah, right".

It has taken a lot to get to this point and I'm trying to make it with a daily drive able car. Gutting the interior, taping off seams, installing systems that require special attention and take away from the pleasure of driving puts the car into another category that I don’t want to be in.

#40 ·
I respect what you are working to achieve but over inflating tires and removing stuff seems a bit obsessive on my side. I think finding ideal speed for your daily route makes sense to me. I want a comfy ride and honestly for the money the Cruze CTD is an amazing ride and comfort. I enjoy pushing this car to see what it can do but not in exchange of my comfort. Hope you make it.

#43 ·
I agree with you about comfort and safety, but I would like to clear up a couple things.

I run my tires at 51 psi cold, the maximum rated pressure on the sidewall. When warm the tire pressure increases to 55 psi or greater based on outside air temp and road surface temp. I understand this is above what is stated on the door placard but is within the design recommendations of the tire manufacturer.

As far as weight reduction from component removal, it was a poor attempt at humor. I have done a couple performance mods to the exhaust that saved about 60 pounds. These mods were for performance but, had a positive affect on the weight of the car. I mentioned the weight savings versus performance as some people are tired of hearing about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.