Diesel Timing Belt / (Non)Interference Engine & Chevy Warranty
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Diesel Timing Belt / (Non)Interference Engine & Chevy Warranty

Learning about my Cruze

Diesel Timing Belt / (Non)Interference Engine & Chevy Warranty

Does anyone know if this engine is interference or non-interference? It has relieved pistons so I thought it would be non-interference, but I've found conflicting information.

Also Chevy says the timing belt, water pump and other components have to be replaced at 97,000 miles or every 10 years.

From reading the warranty they say the timing belt is covered until it's first scheduled maintenance. If your car had 97,000 miles on it before the 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty was up would they cover the water pump replacement cost but not the timing belt?

Kinda sucks to be hit with this maintenance cost right as your warranty goes out.

I hope it's a non-interference diesel engine!
    Fuel Stats:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

everything ive read said interference

timing belt is easy job for non dealer, cost wouldnt be bad

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 33,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 340,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 290,000 km

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post
    everything ive read said interference
    I've only read it was interference in one article and I emailed the author about it. Do you have any other references?

I know the timing belt can be done relatively cheaply, but it still kinda sucks to do. If it's a non-interference engine you could just skip the service and replace it when it breaks.
    Fuel Stats:

BOOOOST!
    I am interested to know if it's non-interference as well. I took a close look at the CTD engine cutaway at the Detroit Auto Show this weekend and it seems to have a fairly complex route to follow, but still didn't look like it would be too hard to change out.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 82K (Domenic), 1990 Buick LeSabre 122K (Bob), 2015 Mercedes GL350 Bluetec 2K (Adolph)

Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
    I've only read it was interference in one article and I emailed the author about it. Do you have any other references?

I know the timing belt can be done relatively cheaply, but it still kinda sucks to do. If it's a non-interference engine you could just skip the service and replace it when it breaks.
    You really wouldn't want to wait till it broke anyway, your CEL would be on for a while before anyway with codes for cam and crank sensor.
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. Street built TEP transmission. Upgraded ratio -3.29. Custom Tuned. Trans Cooler. 3" ZZP Catted downpipe, Magnaflow Cat-back.
    2013 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT. Navigation/MyLink. 2LT Conv Pack. Manual trans.

2nd Gear
    Everything I have read says this is an interference engine.

'14 Cruze Diesel
    '09 Subaru Outback 2.5i Special Edition

Gone
    -'11 Cruze 2LT, 1.4L, 6AT
    -'04 Impala LS, 3.8L

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
    From reading the warranty they say the timing belt is covered until it's first scheduled maintenance. If your car had 97,000 miles on it before the 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty was up would they cover the water pump replacement cost but not the timing belt?

Kinda sucks to be hit with this maintenance cost right as your warranty goes out.
    Time timing belt being a maintenace item will only ever be covered under warrenty if it fails(before the 97,000 mile mark). Since the water pump is included in this 97,000 mile scheduled maintenance once can assume the same applys.

This is the exact same maintenance schedule as the 1.8L cruze timing belt, my guess this maintenance + warrenty running out GM hopes people will just trade for a new car.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

Driver's Ed
    my daewoo cruze manual says to change the timing belt at 60,000 miles this seems very low any of my other diesels have been around the 80 to 100 k can someone confirm what the belt should be changed at on a 2010 uk 2.0 diesel

3rd Gear
    Another vote for interference
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel - Summit White

6th Gear

I can't think of a diesel engine with a timing belt (not chain) that isn't an interference design.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast