Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

OOPS - Destroyed fill plug on transmission

14K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  diesel 
#1 ·
So, as a result of my recent shift flares when cold, I decided it would be a good idea to change fluid again. As per the good advice in the DIY thread, I started with the fill plug. I put my T50 snugly down in there and started turning, but something didn't feel right. I tried pulling it out and putting it back in, making sure it was nice and square, and this time was sure I was stripping it. I looked down there and saw metal filings in the little opening. I got out my trusty extended magnet and was able to get them all up out of there, but by then it was too late.

So, my best thought is to use some JB Weld and "weld" (glue) about a 13 MM or maybe 15 MM nut on the top of the fill plug and then try to take it off that way.

Good idea? Bad idea?

#47 ·
I recently did the 3 fills and 2 dumps to my transmission. What I can say is and what I think contributes to so many stripped fill plugs is, when you put an extension or 10 on to get the ratchet high enough to twist.... the torx bit is not in the head straight. The hole is actually drilled at an angle that is towards the firewall(leaning towards the rear of the car). What I did was put a swivel mid way up(halfway from fill plug to getting the ratchet out from behind the engine). I then had a friend hold the extension/swivel with a lean on it so the torx bit was square into the plug. It was quite the pull to bust it loose, but we got it :)

hopefully that makes sense and saves some people the headache.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ and diesel
#48 ·
What size bit did you use? Was it the factory fill plug?

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.