Diesel gelling in cold weather - Page 4

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Diesel gelling in cold weather

Aranarth is offline [OP]
    Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeezel View Post

The temperature at which diesel will gel (wax) is called the cloud point. That temperature is determined by the refining process of distillate or kerosene. I talked with the lab techs at the refinery I work at, and our diesel has a cloud point of aboit -30°, so there is no reason for us to add an anti-gel. Depending on the reaction process and high sulfur raw kerosene that they are working with, they will not have a cloud point of this temp. Some are around 0° and even higher.
    Now, we do have a lubricity additive we add to the diesel, because the 15 parts per million sulfur that is required at the pump reduces lubrication of the fuel system. Sulfur was the lubricate of the fuel system, and when it was 500 parts per million it was sufficent for the most part. Sometimes when we are making diesel, it leaves our unit at only 1 part per million sulfur.
    Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    At -26c The Cruze starts and runs fine here in Canuk Land.

Handbrake Released theonlypheonix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruz15 View Post
    At -26c The Cruze starts and runs fine here in Canuk Land.
    All depends on processing, how much BIO crap is mixed in and the degree of poor fuel handling like one finds in northern ILL. Shop at a low volume station where the owner is being cheap and you'll be lucky to start at 0F... just real life in the States. I treat the diesel like it MUST lite up at -40F anytime after standing over 24/7 outside full exposure to the elements!!!
    Last edited by theonlypheonix; 01-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    '15 Cruze Diesel- daily driver, currently 51K on clock. Hidden Content
    '05 Bonn GXP North*-head gaskets at 122K mi,head gaskets again at 153Kmi- TTY head bolts replaced w/studs,current 199Kmi
    '05 F350, 6.0L,SB, DRW -work horse at 175Kmi; other diesels owned '80 Rabbit, '85 Toyota Pickup, '85 Olds 88.
    '93 Stealth TT -garage princess but on the road she's King!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Here in NC, where the temps are predominately warm, I don't know what the winter additives are, nor what the cloud point would be. But occasionally, we do get very cold overnights. I have noticed that things tend to favor warmer weather, such as school buses with no block heaters. (We've gotten no school days because it was too cold for the diesel buses to start.) If it is forecasted to have a cold snap, I just put in some amsoil diesel cold flow. Easy to keep some on hand as I order my oil from them anyways. Haven't had any issues yet. (I'm not really convinced I need to do this, but I'd rather be safe (and start the car) than sorry.)
    Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel
    Valentine One w/ YaV1 android app
    Lukas 7950 Dashcam with OBDII connection
    Motorola Astra Spectra VHF with Handheld Control Head / Comet SBB-5 Antenna for Amateur Radio
    ScanGauge II
    2003 Chevy Suburban
    Kenwood D710A / Comet SBB-7 Antenna for Amateur Radio
    Garmin GPS
    Valentine One w/ YaV1 android app
    Itronics ITB-100 Dashcam (2 - Front and Rear)
    2008 Toyota Camry LE (Wife's car)

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by BrightParrot View Post
    Here in NC, where the temps are predominately warm, I don't know what the winter additives are, nor what the cloud point would be. But occasionally, we do get very cold overnights. I have noticed that things tend to favor warmer weather, such as school buses with no block heaters. (We've gotten no school days because it was too cold for the diesel buses to start.) If it is forecasted to have a cold snap, I just put in some amsoil diesel cold flow. Easy to keep some on hand as I order my oil from them anyways. Haven't had any issues yet. (I'm not really convinced I need to do this, but I'd rather be safe (and start the car) than sorry.)
    We saw -18 F this winter a few weeks back over the Holidays and my 2015 CTD sat outside with NO heater plugged in (it does have the heater from factory) and I had zero issues starting the car, even after it sat for a few days in -10 weather. Once started, it heated the cabin quickly using Max Heat and Max Fan speed and was ready to drive in about 2 minutes. Funny thing is, my Bel Stir-O had more trouble with the cold than my diesel did.
    diesel likes this.
    2015 CTD, all options including block heater. Built 12/14. Dual Stir-O Beltronics, the best of the best in RDs, not even a V1C can hang with the O. ALP quint.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.