Oil Change Interval Lengths for Synthetic

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Oil Change Interval Lengths for Synthetic

Learning about my Cruze

I'm currently sitting at 52K miles, and at 46K I changed the oil to AMSOIL with an A\C Delco filter. The oil life percentage is at 3% now. How far has anyone here gone on AMSOIL? Using their oil in my prior gas or diesel trucks, I'd routinely push 15,000 miles on one change, with nothing negative to show in the oil analysis results.
    2014 Cruze Diesel

*Sold*
    97 Sierra 1500
    03 Sierra 2500HD
    04 Silverado Duramax
    07 Silverado Duramax
    03 Sierra Denali

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I am on Amsoil. I get the oil analyzed about every 13,000 miles. I am at about 30,000 miles on this oil. The last sample was still at level 1, which is the best rating. I change filters after a "good" sample reading.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Last edited by BradHerr; 01-12-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    -Brad

2014 Silver Cruze Turbo Diesel

Hidden Content

The oil life monitor doesn't use the quality of the oil to determine the life. I have to reset mine when it starts giving the warnings.

-Brad

2014 Silver Cruze Turbo Diesel

Hidden Content

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHerr View Post
    The oil life monitor doesn't use the quality of the oil to determine the life. I have to reset mine when it starts giving the warnings.

Yes, either reset it or just clear the message upon start up and reset when you actually change it. If you have an active OnStar account a red X is marked on the miles whenever you reset it. It's apart of the online stats not shown in the mobile app.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

Super Moderator

After getting several oil analyses done, I determined that 15K miles is a good interval. I basically reset the OLM and run through it twice before I change oil. Still zero noticeable oil consumption close to 200K miles.
    BradHerr and magnusson like this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 196K (Domenic - On the way to 200K!), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 5K (Gordon - my backup car until the new 1.6 diesels come out)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BradHerr View Post
    I am on Amsoil. I get the oil analyzed about every 13,000 miles. I am at about 30,000 miles on this oil. The last sample was still at level 1, which is the best rating. I change filters after a "good" sample reading.

Interesting. When I got my oil tested, the tests showed some abrasion after about 18K miles, that was why I backed down to 15K.

Here's where I posted details:

Oil Testing Anayslis for Diesels
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 196K (Domenic - On the way to 200K!), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 5K (Gordon - my backup car until the new 1.6 diesels come out)

Learning about my Cruze
    Totally agree on the oil life indicator. It does provide a useful tool to see how you are driving over the past few thousand miles though.

30k is definitely the longest I've heard of. I may just get it tested now and then see what they say. Would love to push it out that far, if the oil holds up.

I usually run my Mobil 1/AC Delco filter on the Cobalt to about 10,000 miles - but this being a diesel/direct injection, who knows.

I've been wanting to switch to synthetic here for a bit, but haven't had the time to take care of changing the oil on this car myself (since I'll have to "learn" a new car), so I've been having the dealer do it - also because they do it for so cheap ($40 for Dexos2).
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

6th Gear
    It depends is the best answer....With a lot of short tripping/idling/interrupted regens fuel dilution will get you.

The people going with the big intervals are putting on real miles.

7,500mi is my max confirmed with UOA because of fuel dilution due to my driving habits.
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel - Summit White

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Interesting. When I got my oil tested, the tests showed some abrasion after about 18K miles, that was why I backed down to 15K.

Here's where I posted details:

Oil Testing Anayslis for Diesels
    Bear in mind we have people going MUCH longer on diesel oils in other diesel engines than even 18k. I wonder if that analysis report was an outlier. Just saying; if the filtration is up to par, and the oil didn't oxidize, you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by KpaxFAQ View Post
    It depends is the best answer....With a lot of short tripping/idling/interrupted regens fuel dilution will get you.

The people going with the big intervals are putting on real miles.

7,500mi is my max confirmed with UOA because of fuel dilution due to my driving habits.
    We see very high levels of fuel dilution in big rigs and other light diesel trucks. It never really leaves any cause for concern unless it gets above around 5%. As long as the wear metals are low, you won't have a problem. Your fuel dilution is likely setting in very early; I'll bet you'd see significant fuel dilution even at half that interval.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.