Small changes to reduce Heat - Page 3

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Small changes to reduce Heat

Quote Originally Posted by DslGate View Post
    Curious as to how a turbo blanket, which confines heat mostly to the turbo increases performance? Isnt the whole point to reduce turbo temperatures and not increase them with a heat shield or blanket. I would think that a heat sink or fan on the turbo would be more effective to " remove" heat. I know with my supercharged cars , I try to make the SC run as cool as possible.

A blanket may reduce overall underhood temps to the detriment of the actual turbo running hotter. I know when I run the car hard that I pop and prop the hood for an hour or so to let it all cool down , particularly in summer heat.
    How a Turbo Blanket Works - Exhaust Wrap Makes a Huge Difference
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    2017 Chevy Volt LT - Stock
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Curious as to how a turbo blanket, which confines heat mostly to the turbo increases performance? Isnt the whole point to reduce turbo temperatures and not increase them with a heat shield or blanket. I would think that a heat sink or fan on the turbo would be more effective to " remove" heat. I know with my supercharged cars , I try to make the SC run as cool as possible.

A blanket may reduce overall underhood temps to the detriment of the actual turbo running hotter. I know when I run the car hard that I pop and prop the hood for an hour or so to let it all cool down , particularly in summer heat.
    Gay Lussac's law. In a container with fixed volume and fixed mass, the pressure is directly proportional to the temperature.

An exhaust stream is nowhere near a consistent field of mass, but in general this law is always true. The pressure difference between the atmosphere and the exhaust manifold drives the turbo. Cooling the exhaust causes a decrease in pressure. Therefore, if you can keep the exhaust hot you will maintain higher pressures.

In reality its not a very big difference...
    Poje likes this.

It's more for underhood temps than anything.

A friend of mine had an SRT-4 with a giant Bullseye on it that literally killed three alternators from the heat alone, before he was forced to relocate it (the alternator).
    Poje likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Keep in mind that a turbo charger has BOTH a turbine and compressor. The turbine is on the exhaust side and it is generally cast iron or stainless steel, and you want to keep the heat in if for more power, faster spooling and so on so a turbo blanket generally is a heat shield that only surrounds the turbine side of the turbo. The compressor side is on the intake side and it generally aluminum to dissipate heat quickly, and yes you want to keep the intake charge as cool as possible and that is why we use intercoolers or charge air coolers as they are also known. The cartridge is the center section of the turbo and it contains the bearings for the common shaft between the two sides. The cartridge is typically oil cooled and lubricated but is also water cooled in some cases with a water passage.

In short for best performance the compressor side should be kept as cool as possible while we want to keep the heat in the turbine side so heat wrap or turbo shields are good for the turbine side...
    Poje, MP81 and DslGate like this.
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

Quote Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
    It's more for underhood temps than anything.

A friend of mine had an SRT-4 with a giant Bullseye on it that literally killed three alternators from the heat alone, before he was forced to relocate it (the alternator).
    Most gassers run at much lower boost and need less intercooling than a diesel with 2 or 3 times the boost. I believe EGTs are quite a bit higher in a diesel application as well. Therefore keeping the heat in the turbine will offer performance gains too on most diesels...
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

Touring Champion
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
    Most gassers run at much lower boost and need less intercooling than a diesel with 2 or 3 times the boost. I believe EGTs are quite a bit higher in a diesel application as well. Therefore keeping the heat in the turbine will offer performance gains too on most diesels...
    I have been skimming through this thread and am wondering why heat seems to be a problem for the original poster. I live in Sydney and 90F is a nice summer day here and I have seen 117F on my outside temperature. In the heat the engine seems to run really great. I have the temperature in C on my DIC and the diesel runs 20C cooler than the petrol engine and changes very little between summer and winter. Perhaps because of the DEF, which my car doesn't have, your engines run hotter?
    Hidden Content
    2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows, SRI-V wheels. Built July 2012, MY13 model

Poje is online now [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    I have been skimming through this thread and am wondering why heat seems to be a problem for the original poster. I live in Sydney and 90F is a nice summer day here and I have seen 117F on my outside temperature. In the heat the engine seems to run really great. I have the temperature in C on my DIC and the diesel runs 20C cooler than the petrol engine and changes very little between summer and winter. Perhaps because of the DEF, which my car doesn't have, your engines run hotter?
    Nah, its not the engine temp that was bothering me, it was the Intake temps and im sure both those mods together bring the temps down, one by lowering the intake of air away from the hood and the other containing the heat of the exhaust side of the Turbo away from everything else under the hood.
    2015 Cruze Diesel White : Tinted windows, de-badged, Fleece tune and downpipe, PTP Turbo Blanket, Intake mod, 3M black gloss roof and Plastidip diffuser, Bilstein B8 shocks, PZero tires.

2014 Cruze Diesel Red : Stock.

2012 Cruze RS Silver (Sold)

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    I was wondering as well why heat is an issue. My car runs great in FL, where heat ( and humidity) in the summer are a constant issue. We don't typically see over 100F , but 95-97 F with relative humidity >90% are present daily. In fact, it's not until the engine is quite toasty or at operating temp that it runs its best according to my butt dyno. I've also spoken to long haul truckers who've stated heat is typically not an issue with their rigs. It's the cold that does em in ( gelling etc.).

As as to DEF, I don't believe that has anything to do with it as that's way after the combustion process and would be more an exhaust issue. Anyone else have issues with heat and their CTD??
    2015 CTD, all options including block heater. Built 12/14. Dual Stir-O Beltronics, the best of the best in RDs, not even a V1C can hang with the O. ALP quint.

Poje is online now [OP]
    I was wondering as well why heat is an issue. My car runs great in FL, where heat ( and humidity) in the summer are a constant issue. We don't typically see over 100F , but 95-97 F with relative humidity >90% are present daily. In fact, it's not until the engine is quite toasty or at operating temp that it runs its best according to my butt dyno. I've also spoken to long haul truckers who've stated heat is typically not an issue with their rigs. It's the cold that does em in ( gelling etc.).

As as to DEF, I don't believe that has anything to do with it as that's way after the combustion process and would be more an exhaust issue. Anyone else have issues with heat and their CTD??
    Im deleted, so DEF doesnt exist for me.

Im just an aggressive driver and i did some Racing, so i notice the difference of Heat soak right away on the performance. 95% of Diesel owners wont notice that.
    2015 Cruze Diesel White : Tinted windows, de-badged, Fleece tune and downpipe, PTP Turbo Blanket, Intake mod, 3M black gloss roof and Plastidip diffuser, Bilstein B8 shocks, PZero tires.

2014 Cruze Diesel Red : Stock.

2012 Cruze RS Silver (Sold)

And colder intake temps = more power.
    Poje likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.