Small changes to reduce Heat

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Small changes to reduce Heat

Poje is offline [OP]

Small changes to reduce Heat

Last year, i noticed that my Diesel performed badly in the Summer because of the heat. (90F and higher with 80% humidity, classic Montreal summer)

So i decided to make some small changes this year to try to reduce the under-hood heat and intake temps.

1st i removed part of the intake piping situtated under the Front bumper. (I was lucky that someone scratch my bumper while i was parked at a gas station)

I noticed that the car was taking most of its air from under the hood and by removing that section of piping, it would now take its air lower and on the side away from the hood :

IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

You can see where the stock setup take the air and by removing the section you see on the picture, the car now take its air about where the Red circle is. If the bumper is removed, this is a very easy thing to remove.

The 2nd thing i did was buy a Turbo Blanket, the link is to the exact model i bought : https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/col...-blanket-black

Here some pictures of before and after :

IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0518.JPG

The size is perfect. The only probleme i had was that i couldnt tight the left side of it, since too many things are in the way. So i just fasten the right side of it and be sure envelope as much of the exhaust side of the Turbo. After installing it, i went on a test drive and pushed hard. When i cameback, it didnt move by a milimeter, since its very snug already w/o securing it.

My goal with the Blanket was the reduce the heat transfer of the Turbo to the surrounding items under the hood, especialy the Intake side of the Turbo. If you look in the picture w/o the Blanket, you can see the pipe for the Boosted air going to the intercooler passing right under the Turbo. If with the Blanket i can reduce the intake temps by just 20-40F, it's worth it.

Only in the summer i will know if this made a difference, but im sure it wont be worst.
    BradHerr likes this.
    2015 Cruze Diesel White : Tinted windows, de-badged, Fleece tune and downpipe, PTP Turbo Blanket, Intake mod, 3M black gloss roof and Plastidip diffuser, Bilstein B8 shocks, PZero tires.

2014 Cruze Diesel Red : Stock.

2012 Cruze RS Silver (Sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

what were your 'troublesome' intake temps?
    KpaxFAQ likes this.
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 102,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 340,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 290,000 km

6th Gear
    Buy an inexpensive non contact laser temperature gun and take before, after and during temps on the intake side of the turbo to see if it makes a difference. You would need to remove the blanket for the before, but it would be worth it to verify your theory.
    Last edited by Blasirl; 04-02-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added link
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals)
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1988 Dodge Aries K SE 2dr (Hidden Content ) also in Hidden Content
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blasirl View Post
    Buy an inexpensive non contact laser temperature gun and take before, after and during temps on the intake side of the turbo to see if it makes a difference. You would need to remove the blanket for the before, but it would be worth it to verify your theory.
    obd2 reader gives ACTUAL intake temps.
    KpaxFAQ likes this.
    Hidden Content

Poje is offline [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post
    obd2 reader gives ACTUAL intake temps.
    I dont know what are the actual intake temps, but i have enough experience to notice Heat Soak.

I'll see this summer how it does, but today i did about 200 miles with many Full throttle pulls and it was better.
    2015 Cruze Diesel White : Tinted windows, de-badged, Fleece tune and downpipe, PTP Turbo Blanket, Intake mod, 3M black gloss roof and Plastidip diffuser, Bilstein B8 shocks, PZero tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Poje View Post
    I dont know what are the actual intake temps, but i have enough experience to notice Heat Soak.

I'll see this summer how it does, but today i did about 200 miles with many Full throttle pulls and it was better.
    thought so
    Hidden Content

Poje is offline [OP]
    thought so
    Do you personaly have a way to check your intake temps, because if you do and your deleted + race tune like me, we could make some comparaison.

Quote Originally Posted by Poje View Post
    Do you personaly have a way to check your intake temps, because if you do and your deleted + race tune like me, we could make some comparaison.
    i have a obd2 reader

so yeah can read actual intake temps

not deleted, yet...stock tune.
    Hidden Content

Poje is offline [OP]
    i have a obd2 reader

so yeah can read actual intake temps

not deleted, yet...stock tune.
    Ok, i think my Tuner from Fleece or Vermont tuning can do it too.

We could compare with stock car, but it wouldnt be accurate.

Ive been running for a few days now and im VERY happy with the results : The car is way more responsive and pull harder, even after 20min straith of full throttle runs.

Im gonna check Intake temps just to confirm how the car behave, but im 100% sure it is working.

It varies so much I doubt you'd get any decent hard number.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.