Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2011 Cruze unraveling a piece at the time.

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 ·
Hello folks. Honestly this is a forum I had hoped I wouldn't feel compelled to join (although you really seem like nice and generous folks)...sadly, here I am. I need some guidance and expertise, if you don't mind.

My 2011 Cruze Eco has 48k+\- miles...bought brand new.

CEL lit on the last Friday of July, around 630-700 pm (after COB). We took it to dealer Monday morning, August 1st and found out the turbo was broken/blown. We were told the 5/100k had expired....in July. After arguing with the dealer, they agreed to "pay half".

Just a couple days of driving after picking it up, CEL again. This time the coolant hose was broken, leaking and I suppose sucking quite a bit of air. After arguing with the dealer again, they agreed to pay half. So we picked it up this evening, drove a block awAy, CEL again...running ragged, ragged. Reading and watching YT vids I've found on this forum, it sounds like PCV (?). We took it back to dealer parked it and left the key in drop box....I'm distraught, as you might imagine, and wife's a wreck. If it is a PCV, is it in anyway related to the turbo swap? Is this vehicle just falling apart on me?

I can't help but think all of this should have been covered in the warranty....albeit the warranty expired about the same time these problems began.

As if it matters. I'm trying to carry a conversation with Chevy (in Michigan) about my concern of the longevity of this car, me paying for breakages that, IMO should have been warranted, not to mention the reliability. My daughter leaves for college in a couple weeks...and this was supposed to be her car. My conversation seems a bit one sided...although Chevy insists they're sorry, and value my happiness.

i sincerely appreciate any guidance or insite.

Thanks for reading!
Crocodile

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forums, Wish we met on good terms.

Sounds like you have a bunch of stuff happening at the very end of the ownership that usually show up well before now. I suspect the low miles is why it took you a bit. I have a 2013 and just about 70k into my 72K extended warranty .

Valve(Cam) cover for 2011 has been revised in 2013 models and at least again in the 2015 models. Unfortunately for this fix, the intake manifold was also swapped same time.

Water pump, oil line on the turbo(should have been swapped with turbo) the coolant line that runs from the coolant tank, negative cable, and something I can't remember at this second were all parts that were deemed bad.

Water pump and the negative cable are 10 year 150K mile parts so if you do need those don't let them try and charge you for it.

One thing I didn't notice is if the spark plugs were changed out or not.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply. The current CEL turned out to be a cracked hose for PCV valve. The dealer fixed it, and didn't bill me for it. I've been in meetings all morning, so my wife talked to them, and it sounds like the dealer knows what i have on my hands, and is showing as much empathy as possible.

I've spoken to GM again this a.m. and laid out my concerns, as mentioned above....the retort was, "...we'll give you $500 toward a new vehicle".

At this moment....there are no words....

Thanks again for reading and responding.
Crocodile

#4 ·
I just dealt with customer service for 3 weeks trying to get my faulty ac compressor on my 2013 Cruze repaired under warranty. No luck. 65k miles and the ac compressor failed. While looking into ac issue I noticed my coolant res was empty(3rd time) lemon lawsuit here i come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
2011 water issue

Good morning

I own a 2011 cruze. The warranty just went out in February. The car started having water gather on the passenger side floorboard. We took the car to a Chevy dealer who basically told us that we need to go to a body shop because they don't deal with this issue. Well with help from a friend we found the part number that was needed to stop the water. the part was $7.27 but I had to pay $74.37 for putting it on the car. This is a total injustice and I have wrote to GM and we keep missing each other. I do not feel like we should have to pay for a issue that is definitely a manufacture issue. I also have a 2003 Monte Carlo that did the same exact thing leaking water in floorboard on passenger side. We had a body shop repair this issue on the that car. The way its going I am getting out of Chevy and buying Honda or Toyota and yes I know all cars have issues but this is just ridiculous. I am still trying to resolve the issue via GM.

#8 ·
Good morning

I own a 2011 cruze. The warranty just went out in February. The car started having water gather on the passenger side floorboard. We took the car to a Chevy dealer who basically told us that we need to go to a body shop because they don't deal with this issue. Well with help from a friend we found the part number that was needed to stop the water. the part was $7.27 but I had to pay $74.37 for putting it on the car. This is a total injustice and I have wrote to GM and we keep missing each other. I do not feel like we should have to pay for a issue that is definitely a manufacture issue. I also have a 2003 Monte Carlo that did the same exact thing leaking water in floorboard on passenger side. We had a body shop repair this issue on the that car. The way its going I am getting out of Chevy and buying Honda or Toyota and yes I know all cars have issues but this is just ridiculous. I am still trying to resolve the issue via GM.
Why didn't you address this while the car was under warranty? An $80 repair on a 6 year old car seems perfectly reasonable to me.

#9 ·
Something people need to remember - cars age in two ways. First and obviously is mileage. Second is calendar - and where you're located makes a huge difference in how fast they age as a result of the calendar. If you're where there is a lot of road salt your car will age a lot faster than if you don't have road salt. Road salt will even age the interior of the car faster simply because it gets ground up and airborne.

Manufacturers respond to this aging by putting both mileage and time limits on their warranties.

#13 ·
Yeah, my 14 year old Mazda Protege5 is just starting to rust in the fenderwells.

#11 ·
If you think Honda's and Toyotas don't have water or other problems good luck.
We have had a few issues with or 12 Honda CR-V. Motor and Trans are perfect. Rear brakes have been a problem - with calipers seizing due to corrosion per the dealer. Fixed the first time around 30 k miles, 12k miles later same problem, dealer fixed at no cost.

#12 ·
My coworkers wife keeps having issues with this on hers.

Said coworker's Subaru, in the meantime, is having the entire motor replaced for oil consumption, among brake issues as well.

Toyota has had very bad luck with torque converters on their 6-speed transmissions on 4-cylinder engines.

No car is perfect. Stuff has gone wrong with my Cruze too. Rather than try to rant about the sway bar links on mine being a piece of crap, I paid the $30 for new ones and installed them myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.