15K Service Question? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 15K Service Question?

Group B Rally Champion
    Just follow the Maintenance schedule in the back on the owners manual, don't be tricked into fake services you don't need. I bought my sonic this April with 9K on the clock, just past 37K earlier this week. only maintenance I had was oil changes over that time, and I had the alignment checked when I had new tires put on at 33K.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

I use the severe service guide in the 2014 owners manual except for tires, balancing, and alignment. I rotate and balance every 5000 miles and align after I replace the tires if the old tires show alignment problems.

Unless tires are wearing unevenly, (wear more on the outside of one and inside of the other), or car is pulling to one side, there is never a need for alignment, even when purchasing new tires. Heck, I've owned 38 vehicles in the last 32 years, and never had an alignment done on any of my vehicles. Some of these have had well over 100k miles put on them also. I have a 93' GMC Sierra, bought new, and still on the factory alignment. The '79 Trans Am in my profile is still on the factory alignment. Only if you had front end parts replaced would it be absolutely necessary. As for balancing, never had a re-balance done on any of my tires, especially with tires that came from factory. They seem to be the best balanced tires that you will ever have. I rotate my own tires, and have really never had an issue where any of my tires needed a re-balance. If you do not have a vibration, no re-balance needed. To each there own, but it is really just a waste of money, unless you have wrecked the car, or jumped some ditches, curbs, etc., that might cause the car to be out of alignment. If you just inspect your tires from time to time, they will tell you if it needs alignment or not. I rotate my tires every oil change, which is 5k miles for me. I do a complete check of the whole car during this time, brakes, suspension parts, oil leaks, check tire pressures, and such. Don't need a mechanic to tell me stuff like that. But I do understand that some may not have a place to do this, or even know how, and that is fine, but don't let the dealership take you for a ride either. Believe me, some will try to take advantage of you, and are not always honest about the services they say they performed. I always tell people, if you get service at the dealership, and they replace parts, ask them after service is done to see the old parts that were replaced. But even that is not a sure way to know, unless you saw them remove the parts, could have come off another vehicle that they had worked on. I've seen this happen with my sister-in-law at a Honda dealership. Bought a new '13 Odyssey, went in for one of her free oil changes at 5k miles, told them only wanted the oil changed and a tire rotation. She was suppose to pay only the tax on the cost of the oil change/tire rotation, (less than $5). Keep in mind the vehicle only had about 5k miles on it. Told her it was ready, and went to pay bill. Bill was over $80. They had charged her for a cabin filter, engine air filter, brake inspection, and some other crazy items. She told them it only had 5k miles on it and it did not need those things, nor did she ask for them. She asked them to show her the filters that came off her vehicle. Took them about 20 minutes to bring them to her. She said they looked terrible, and full of dirt. She knew they did not come out of her vehicle, it was brand new and never been driven down a dirt road. They had went a dug them up out of the trash or something. Needless to say, she did not pay for any of it, and never went back. Some will try to take advantage of you, especially if they think you don't know better.
    Last edited by winks79; 01-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Tomko and diesel like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Eddy Cruze is online now [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedout View Post
    Just follow the Maintenance schedule in the back on the owners manual, don't be tricked into fake services you don't need. I bought my sonic this April with 9K on the clock, just past 37K earlier this week. only maintenance I had was oil changes over that time, and I had the alignment checked when I had new tires put on at 33K.
    One Oil change with 37K, never. This is the last time I order one of these periodic services and all the comments posted here were excellent, thank you all. I only spent $129 as we know, had a lot of stuff done and the only thing that irked me is the tripled selling price on an aftermarket item. Is this normal in the Business, well yes. Heard from my Dealer this morning:

"Hello Gomer,

The alignment was not included in the 15k and usually the service that was performed on your vehicle would amount to $169.96 plus tax. If I said it was included I apologize. The alignment machine is down at this time and they are planning on replacing it. After we get the new machine I would like you to come back in to have the alignment completed at no charge and at that time we will have it cleaned as well. Please let me know if this will be ok with you but I am not sure how long it will take to get the new machine. Thank you again for your business and I look forward to hearing from you"

Super Moderator

Well certainly better to have your alignment done on a new machine and not an old one.

My first question for any technician suggesting an alignment is: When was your alignment rack last calibrated by the manufacturer?

If the answer is anything more than six months then it's time to find someone else.
    Merc6 and Eddy Cruze like this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Group B Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Cruze View Post
    One Oil change with 37K, never.
    Please re-read my post, I said oil Change's'. I had the oil changed day one when I picked it up at 9K, then average about every 6000 miles or 2 months for each proceeding oil change. In the Last 10 months I've had 5 oil changes done.

Again just read the maintenance schedule in the back of your owners manual, if its not listed the dealer is just trying to empty your pocket. There is NO maintenance besides oil changes listed until after 45,000 miles. At that point you will need an air filter and get the automatic transmission fluid changed.

There is NO maintenance besides oil changes listed until after 45,000 miles. At that point you will need an air filter and get the automatic transmission fluid changed.
    Well there is the cabin Filter at 22.5K and rotations every 7.5K but you're right. Changing the cabin filter can only help keeping the CRUZE smelling fresh, remember this was a 3 year service I had done. Plus now I have an alignment waiting for me free in the future

Group B Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Cruze View Post
    Well there is the cabin Filter at 22.5K and rotations every 7.5K but you're right.
    I forgot about the cabin filter, I typically change mine every fall. Its very easy to change yourself, and 1/3 the price the dealer charges. Think I typically buy mine on amazon for $10. I find more leaves blocking mine than anything, if you live in the desert I would suspect you could probably just dump out the sand and keep using the same one.

I forgot about the cabin filter, I typically change mine every fall. Its very easy to change yourself, and 1/3 the price the dealer charges. Think I typically buy mine on amazon for $10. I find more leaves blocking mine than anything, if you live in the desert I would suspect you could probably just dump out the sand and keep using the same one.
    Yes the mechanic showed me the filter(s) and I've seen worse but he did mention there was a bunch of dirt that he blew out. If I knew they were going to call the auto parts store for a filter I would have brought mine in, it was like $12.99 on eBay

Super Moderator
    My filter was horrible after 8 months. I usually do 3 a year due to the high pollen. Once I figure out the Accord same will happen for it.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.