15K Service Question?

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 15K Service Question?

Eddy Cruze is online now [OP]

15K Service Question?

Just got back from the Dealership. Had a $129 coupon for the 15K Service. It was to include an alignment. Instead it was a rotate & balance all 4 wheels which makes more sense to me. What is your feeling on this, was the alignment or the balancing even necessary?
    15K.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Personally I take the view that the car and its tires are best left in their factory state as long as possible - and until a problem with either balance or alignment is detected.

My Cadillac is nine years old and has never had it's alignmnent touched.

My Cruze has 55,000 miles on some pretty choppy roads and it's alignment and tire balance has never been touched.

However, I have many times seen problems arise when perfectly good factory alignment and tire balance was adjusted by dealer technicians using unclaibrated equipment - to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.
    Last edited by Tomko; 01-12-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I've also never had my dealership recommend a 15K or any other mileage based service package on any of my fleet.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:

Retired Fleet:

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I guess my question then would be, was I cheated if I had the wheels balanced without an alignment? Personally I would only do an an alignment if I needed one or purchased new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    I've also never had my dealership recommend a 15K or any other mileage based service package on any of my fleet.
    That's funny you say that as every other Manufacturer hounds you on periodic services which can be quite costly while G.M. doesn't seem too. Of course to maintain the Warranty and the GMPP protection or any other VSC it is expected to follow some sort of schedule, especially in the deathly dusty desert

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Cruze View Post
    I guess my question then would be, was I cheated if I had the wheels balanced without an alignment? Personally I would only do an an alignment if I needed one or purchased new tires.
    In my books the same thing goes for tire balance.

I have an acquaintance of the female pursuasion whose slimeball foreign job dealership told her that she had to have her wheels rebalanced every year because the lead weights could rust. LOL!
    Eddy Cruze likes this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:

Retired Fleet:

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

That's funny you say that as every other Manufacturer hounds you on periodic services which can be quite costly while G.M. doesn't seem too. Of course to maintain the Warranty and the GMPP protection or any other VSC it is expected to follow some sort of schedule, especially in the deathly dusty desert
    Services indeed need to be performed in accordance with the service schedule. Mostly changing fluids and filters. But what on earth did the 27 point inspection you received constitute and how does it compare with the service schedule?

My guess is that it's a method for the dealership to drum up some business. Maybe find something wrong that they could charge you or GMPP for.

Certainly I get mailings from the dealership telling me that I need a spring or fall service - but this is just another form of advertising. It doesn't actually come from my service advisor. It comes from a third party direct marketing provider that the dealership owner subscribes to. For me it goes unopened and straight in the trash with the rest of the unsolicited mail that finds its way into my mailbox. I get the same crap about how they have a buyer just for my year and model of Cadillac, etc. I call bull$hit on that too because there's a halfdozen of them in the autotrader right now.

So, in summary, no I have never had my service advisor propose such a service package to my face.

As well, I understand that you're in a different environment than me - but I'm guessing that mine's equally harsh if not moreso.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:

Retired Fleet:

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Interesting! I have only owned new Cars that must be serviced every 90 days or 3000 miles. The 27 point inspection is free and is done with all LOF services. There is added value in this paperwork/inspection but again remember, its FREE!

As a rule Dealers will not poke around your Car looking for warranty work to do. Unless you complain about a certain component they are not allowed to look for additional work. The only exception would be a safety concern and even then...
    27pt.JPG

5th Gear
    I follow the maintenance schedule for any services listed, and the owners manual for additional inspections. Tire rotation and balance are not regular service items and are not listed on the maintenance schedule. If I feel a vibration then I will have the wheel balance checked, otherwise I leave it alone. If I notice any signs of wheels out of alignment then I have the alignment checked, otherwise I leave it alone. No reason to pay for services you don't need.

Your bill doesn't look too bad. $140 for a full synthetic oil change, both air filters changed and a 5 minute inspection is a little high, but not bad. I would ask them to list all the items inspected on the receipt with a report of the condition of each inspection point. Without documentation of the exact inspections and the results then nothing was inspected, in my opinion. The quick oil change place by my house includes that report.

How many miles do you have? The passenger air filter is supposed to be changed every 22.5K miles and the engine air filter is supposed to be changed every 45K miles using the severe conditions maintenance schedule in the owners manual.
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

5th Gear
    As a rule Dealers will not poke around your Car looking for warranty work to do. Unless you complain about a certain component they are not allowed to look for additional work. The only exception would be a safety concern and even then...
    You can pay for additional inspections. I usually do this before my warranty expires. But, I require them to list the items inspected and the condition on the receipt.
    2014 1LT, AT, All Star Edition, "Libby"
    Champagne Silver Metallic

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.