Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Airbag Recall on 2012 Buick Verano, 2012 Chevy cruze and 2012 Chevy Sonic.

8K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  crystal red cruze 
#1 ·
Has anyone else heard about this airbag recall for the cruze, sonic and buick verano? I just found this out but it was posted on the 7th of november. Heres the article link for you to
check out if you all want to. I skimmed through it but GM will notify us all who owns these vehicles, bring them to the dealership, and get fixed free of charge. Buick Verano, Chevy Cruze & Sonic Recalled for Airbag Issue | AutoGuide.com News

#4 ·
I contacted my dealer they have no recall yet.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
I found information at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...d=480&referenceSearch.urlCode=04PKOJG2LWBHX64

Report Receipt Date: OCT 31, 2012
NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V522000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 2,949

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h]General Motors is recalling certain model year 2012 Buick Verano, Chevrolet Cruze, and Chevrolet Sonic vehicles. The driver side frontal air bag has a shorting bar which may intermittently contact the air bag terminals.[h=5]CONSEQUENCE:[/h]If the bar and terminals are contacting each other at the time of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's frontal airbag, that airbag will not deploy, increasing the driver's risk of injury. [h=5]REMEDY:[/h]General Motors will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering wheel airbag coil, free of charge. The safety recall began on January 11, 2013. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300.[h=5]NOTES:[/h]This is General Motors recall number 12261. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

#7 ·
So we should all just take out that airbag for weight reduction since it does not work then eh? ;)

#9 ·
GM sent the letters out about a month ago. If you didn't get a letter you're probably not affected by this issue. If in doubt, swing by your dealership and ask. They'll need your VIN number to check for you.

#10 ·
No letter here, so I guess I'm good. Anyone know about what build month(s) this affects?

#11 ·
If you would like me to check if your vehicle is affected by this recall please send me a PM with your VIN. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#13 ·
Here's the official NHTSA recall notice:

Report Receipt Date: JUN 06, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V300000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 31,520

[h=4] All Products Associated with this Recall [/h][h=5]Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)[/h]
  • BUICKVERANO2012
  • CHEVROLETCAMARO2012
  • CHEVROLETCRUZE2012
  • CHEVROLETSONIC2012

[h=4]Details [/h][h=4]2 Associated Documents [/h]Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h]General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2012 Buick Verano vehicles manufactured December 2, 2011 to July, 16, 2012, Chevrolet Cruze vehicles manufactured December 7, 2011 to July 25, 2012, Chevrolet Sonic vehicles manufactured December 5, 2011 to August 2, 2012, and Chevrolet Camaro vehicles manufactured December 1, 2011 to June 11, 2012. The driver side frontal air bag has a shorting bar which may intermittently contact the air bag terminals. [h=5]CONSEQUENCE:[/h]If the bar and terminals are contacting each other at the time of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's frontal air bag, that air bag will not deploy, increasing the driver's risk of injury. [h=5]REMEDY:[/h]GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering wheel air bag coil, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Chevrolet owners may contact GM at 1-800-222-1020. Buick owners may contact GM at 1-800-521-7300. Note: This is an expansion of recalls 12V-522 and 13V-023. [h=5]NOTES:[/h]Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

#14 ·
I think there was an older recall to this effect. I believe the remedy then was to remove the shorting bar or both bars since the US Cruze has a dual stage airbag with two plugs. The shorting bar is there to make it impossible for the airbag to deploy with the plug disconnected. It's a gold plated spring that touches both pins of the airbag with the plug disconnected. The plug itself pushes the spring away from the pins to allow a circuit if the module calls for deployment.

#16 ·
This is the third GM recall for this same issue. Some of the cars/trucks in the previous recalls are also in this one.

#15 ·
`
Related CruzeTALK thread:
To check whether or not a recall has been issued for your GM vehicle, including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, HUMMER, or Saab, visit the following website plug in your vehicle's VIN:

GM RECALL CENTER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.